Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | FTTP problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

FTTP problems

Old 02-03-2023, 16:25   #16
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: FTTP problems

I took another look at your BQM. I can see it is gradually getting worse.

I think you are at the point where you need to give Virgin customer services a call. This is affecting your service. I'd start by asking them for a more modern Hub.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2023, 19:47   #17
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I took another look at your BQM. I can see it is gradually getting worse.

I think you are at the point where you need to give Virgin customer services a call. This is affecting your service. I'd start by asking them for a more modern Hub.
I posted all the daily BQM's from Jan 27th on the virgin community forum post. 27th Jan was when I did a full reset and started the new BQM. It was normal VM level service until 12th/13th feb then its been this ropey service since then.

I have fast BB to download things quickly when I need to but the way this is I can't use the service that way. The streaming was still spotty this afternoon.

I hoped using the proper Virgin forum would mean not having to call but it seems like I'm going to have to.

City Fibre have been past here recently but it's not live yet. We've got about 6 months left on our contract so hopefully the cityfibre option is ready by the end of that. Or we could go back to FTTC whilst we wait another year or two for Openreach FTTP. It's a shame. I'd always had a good experience with cable broadband until this year.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:22   #18
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I left VM. I'm on CityFibre, getting 930Mb up and down consistently 24/7. Latency is 6ms.

Getting your own router set up is a bit more complex. It doesn't connect automatically so you have to put in your VF username and password.

No TV of course. CS is as terrible as VM's, possibly worse.

Sorry you couldn't get a solution here, but I suspect that your stats would have pointed at you getting an engineer out anyway.

Old 04-03-2023, 15:55   #19
bubblegun
cf.addict

bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Just to update you.
I have disabled the routing functions on the asus routers and put them into access point mode and factory reset them again. I have switched, since 8.30 am yesterday, to Router Mode on the Hub 3. I moved the devices that stream over to the Hub 3 wifi and/or wired directly to it. The BQM after 24 hours:

So it looks much less noisy but the issue with streaming is still there. But now getting problems with streaming between LAN devices too. To my mind this indicates a Hub issue. Going to phone Virgin on Monday or Tuesday about it.

Comparing the two BQM's the difference is stark.

Thanks for the help here.

Last edited by bubblegun; 04-03-2023 at 16:05.
Old 04-03-2023, 18:18   #20
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
Just to update you.
I have disabled the routing functions on the asus routers and put them into access point mode and factory reset them again. I have switched, since 8.30 am yesterday, to Router Mode on the Hub 3. I moved the devices that stream over to the Hub 3 wifi and/or wired directly to it. The BQM after 24 hours:
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

So it looks much less noisy but the issue with streaming is still there. But now getting problems with streaming between LAN devices too. To my mind this indicates a Hub issue. Going to phone Virgin on Monday or Tuesday about it.

Comparing the two BQM's the difference is stark.

Thanks for the help here.
When you call CS have your Hub in router mode already. They will want to take you through tests to demonstrate that streaming and TV aren't working well. Some tests of your line will be done remotely They will want nothing to do with your own kit. They will want you to be able to demonstrate that your problems are to do with their kit.
Old 06-03-2023, 16:12   #21
bubblegun
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
When you call CS have your Hub in router mode already. They will want to take you through tests to demonstrate that streaming and TV aren't working well. Some tests of your line will be done remotely They will want nothing to do with your own kit. They will want you to be able to demonstrate that your problems are to do with their kit.
Four calls today and we got nowhere.

Found another forum thread with exact same issue - fixed with new Hub.

Opened a complaint online as who has time to keep phoning repeatedly.
Old 06-03-2023, 18:38   #22
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Yeah that really spiky graph seemed to indicate a local problem, if the yellow gets spiky without the blue getting thicker, that indicates only brief spikes. Yellow going that high if was all congestion would likely also lead to a higher average (thicker blue line).
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 20:26   #23
bubblegun
cf.addict

Complaint was kinda pointless given their response.
Called back today for fifth time, and spoke to someone in Manchester.
Booked engineer visit for tomorrow afternoon.
Hopefully Hub gets swapped out.
Old 14-04-2023, 12:49   #24
bubblegun
cf.addict

This problem is back.
More specifically the streaming problems.

The noisy BQM was (I believe) a red herring.

The Hub was swapped to a Hub 4 just over a month ago. Everything worked totally fine since then. Last couple of days its back to being rubbish, dropping streams all the time.

I had been in modem mode since it got swapped.
I'm in router mode now and its doing the same thing.

Its been affecting whatsapp too. I'm being connected and disconnected constantly whilst using it but the wifi doesn't drop.
When I'm on reddit I keep getting notified that I'm offline when the internet is constant.

Last edited by bubblegun; 14-04-2023 at 13:44. Reason: whatsapp
Old 11-06-2023, 09:42   #25
bubblegun
cf.addict

Well its been a month since we got a second engineer visit through oficial forum. It got fixed and hasn't returned. He replaced the splitter on the outside of the property at the ONT. He said he replaced with one with fewer outputs as the existing splitter seemed to be adding a lot of noise. He showed me an app on his phone which had lots of red on most of the channels and now was all green.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:07   #26
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
Well its been a month since we got a second engineer visit through oficial forum. It got fixed and hasn't returned. He replaced the splitter on the outside of the property at the ONT. He said he replaced with one with fewer outputs as the existing splitter seemed to be adding a lot of noise. He showed me an app on his phone which had lots of red on most of the channels and now was all green.
When I had problems with my broadband a while back now it turned out to be the splitter.

Glad you got it fixed, bubblegun.