Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Being a carer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Being a carer

Old 22-02-2023, 16:37   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Being a carer

As you may know, July last year my dad had a perforated ulcer of the bowel, he spent 3 months in hospital (10 in ICU and 4 HTU) several times my sister and me were waiting for that call.

But he's a stubborn old git and pulled through, I had to remove his bed and alter the room and paint the walls, he got a hospital type bed and a chair, he came home on the 26th October, but was confined to upstairs as the loo is there.

Since then, we've had a ramp to the front door, a wider front door that opens outwards and a stair lift.

I have just been swapped from Universal Credit to Carers Allowance, which means that the DWP leave me alone. I only just got this now he has Attendance Allowance.

What annoys me is that I have to hunt for what benefits we are entitled to, I remember years ago they told you.

So now I get less that the tax I used to pay in my previous job.

But my dad comes first.

I did say to my sister the other week that I needed more help, and she has, and on Tuesdays if she doesn't have to go into the office she comes to ours and I go to the "Men's Shed" which is a charity I'm involved in.

My Nephew and Nieces took me axe throwing at Lakeside which helped
Old 22-02-2023, 17:09   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Being a carer

Being a carer for a loved one is a extremely hard job as l have a carer myself and in my wider family my Dad cares for my Mum and my cousin cares for his Mum.

For the jobs a carer does and its a damned hard job without much respite they get a pittance to be perfectly honest.
Old 22-02-2023, 18:34   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I have the utmost respect for anyone who becomes a carer. The money you get is a pittance and you need to grab hold of any other offers of help you can get. I cared for my father for several before he died so was interested to have a look around to see if things had changed at all since then. Found the following sites which you may find of interest. xxx

https://www.carersfirst.org.uk/help-...ts-for-carers/

https://www.carersuk.org/

https://carers.org/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social...es-and-forums/
Old 22-02-2023, 18:42   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Carers can only hope, that the care is there when it comes to their turn to need it. The state increasingly isn't going to provide, and are reliant on families. All very well if you have family, or aren't the last left.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 20:21   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

£69.70 for a MINIMUM 35-hour week is hardly decent recompense for being a Carer. And even that stops once you start to draw your State Pension.

And that much-fabled thing "Respite Care" has never been available for my wife and I over the past (almost) 30 years.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 18:32   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
£69.70 for a MINIMUM 35-hour week is hardly decent recompense for being a Carer. And even that stops once you start to draw your State Pension.

And that much-fabled thing "Respite Care" has never been available for my wife and I over the past (almost) 30 years.

As it's a 24/7 job, I worked it out at roughly at 47p per hour.

So you can guess I'm angry at all these strikes for more money, and those saying they need food banks I suggest not having holidays, I ain't had one since 2019. Or stop going out for meals and quit smoking.
Old 23-02-2023, 20:19   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Luckily, we can each manage a couple of hours to ourselves most days, but it wasn't like that at the start. We were run ragged day-in, day-out.

Quote:
... I suggest not having holidays, I ain't had one since 2019.
Ours was in 2005.
Old 06-03-2023, 14:36   #8
amyjones
cf.member

amyjones is on a distinguished roadamyjones is on a distinguished road

I also used to be a carer for my elder sister..i can understand the pain behind it. I really respect all the carers from my bottom of heart..
amyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 16:45   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

What you are doing is amazing and I know you are doing it out of love but do make sure you get some time for you too.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 12:58   #10
livelysprite
cf.member

livelysprite is on a distinguished roadlivelysprite is on a distinguished road

Quote:

So you can guess I'm angry at all these strikes for more money, and those saying they need food banks I suggest not having holidays, I ain't had one since 2019. Or stop going out for meals and quit smoking.
You should get carers allowance plus income support and carers premium. If you live in Scotland you also get a carer supplement. You might have to attend work focused interviews while claiming income support but just tell them you are not looking for work. Income support is being moved to universal credit and there will be no work focused inteviews for carers on universal credit.

Let me check my bank statement:

DWP carer allowance £285.85 per month (you can get this weekly)

DWP income support + care premium £92.30 a week (will only show on bank statement as IS)

social-security-cas (Scotland) £245.70 twice a year (going up to £270.50 in 2023)

Last edited by livelysprite; 07-04-2023 at 14:47.
livelysprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 15:53   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

If you are in receipt of Carers Allowance, you don't have to be actively looking for work.

One of the conditions for carer's allowance is that you must not earn more than £132 a week (in 2022/23). This includes money from employment and self-employment, for example, if you have a part-time job. Money you get from a private or occupational pension, however, is not counted as earnings.

But if you have to pay someone to care for your charge, that can be offset from your earnings.

And beware, as soon as you start receiving your State Pension, Carers Allowance stops. As do many other Benefits tied to Carers Allowance.
Old 07-04-2023, 16:24   #12
livelysprite
cf.member

livelysprite is on a distinguished roadlivelysprite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
If you are in receipt of Carers Allowance, you don't have to be actively looking for work.

One of the conditions for carer's allowance is that you must not earn more than £132 a week (in 2022/23). This includes money from employment and self-employment, for example, if you have a part-time job. Money you get from a private or occupational pension, however, is not counted as earnings.

But if you have to pay someone to care for your charge, that can be offset from your earnings.

And beware, as soon as you start receiving your State Pension, Carers Allowance stops. As do many other Benefits tied to Carers Allowance.
You don't have to be actively looking for work but if you claim income support in addition to carers allowance then you must attend work focused interviews.
livelysprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 18:20   #13
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelysprite View Post
You don't have to be actively looking for work but if you claim income support in addition to carers allowance then you must attend work focused interviews.
I received a letter annually stating that I didn't need to be actively seeking work due to receiving Carers Allowance.

"Carer's Allowance can also affect other benefits you might be already getting – so you might be paid less in another benefit. It will count as income if you're getting Universal Credit. But you might also qualify for extra Universal Credit because you're a carer."
Old 09-04-2023, 10:57   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I had a heart to heart with my sister yesterday, we are both under a lot of stress, on top of what we had with our mum and dad, she had her daughter Scoloisis and Anorexia.

She helps when she can and if she is working form home on Tuesday's she sit with my dad and I'll go to the Men's Shed without needing to listen out for the phone.

I will do days out and an overnighter if the journey is too far.

I do get UC & CA with the UC top up.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:14   #15
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Mr T is now my carer I was told yesterday my condition is never going to improve, and I will have to suffer this pain for the rest of my days. We pay a mobile hairdresser and foot lady, and now we will have to employ a gardener and cleaner. So I am going to try and download the form to claim attendance allowance. Any tips on completeing the form or other claims I can make?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote