Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 5 - IP of NAS changed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hub 5 - IP of NAS changed

Old 28-03-2023, 10:13   #1
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light
Hub 5 - IP of NAS changed

morning all.

I have a synology nas attached to my Hub 5, with an ip address of 247. All was fine, until a prolonged power cut, which then re-assigned the ip address to 248.

I need to change it back to 247, and cant find a way to do so. I have gone into DHCP settings and reserved 247 with the mac address.

But it does not seem to take effect - even rebooted router.

If it was just 1 item i needed to change i would, but there are multiple pcs and devices looking for that ip address

Am i doing sdomething wrong? (Stuupid question - i probably
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (110.7 KB, 20 views)
lemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2023, 10:42   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hub 5 - IP of NAS changed

Have you tried a full reset of the Hub i.e. Pin Hole reset or via the UI?
Old 28-03-2023, 11:07   #3
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Have you tried a full reset of the Hub i.e. Pin Hole reset or via the UI?

Yes - just tried Pin reset. Reset woirked as needed to reset all passwords etc, but it stays on 248......
lemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 11:09   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Although I have a Hub 3 and a separate router, I checked to see if the hub could do the same thing as my router and fix an allocated IP address.
For the Hub 3 it's in advanced settings->DHCP->Add reserved rule. It's messier than my router as you have to specify the MAC address. Once done, the IP address shouldn't change. You should be able to set it back to 147 or whatever you want.
Good idea to do that for anything where a PC needs to know the IP address, eg wireless printer.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 12:16   #5
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Can you go into the routers settings and change the DHCP range so it is outside of the NAS' IP.

So set it to something like .10 to .240

Then login to the NAS and set it a static IP of 247

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 05:04   #6
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

If you are 100% sure you did the right MAC, then you need to reboot the NAS (or force a DHCP release), not the hub.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 10:54   #7
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Yes, releasing leases and getting IP's to update is a real pain.
Old 30-03-2023, 11:04   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Yes, releasing leases and getting IP's to update is a real pain.
As I've pointed out, you can permanently fix IP addresses. Those selected devices are no longer dynamically allocated their IP address. I already do so with my various devices, such as a NAS and wireless printer.

Not as straightforward with a superhub as it is with my Asus router, but no apparent reason why it can't be done.
Old 03-04-2023, 14:43   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Save yourself agro and buy a seperate router, that way you can control IPs far easier.
Old 03-04-2023, 19:14   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Save yourself agro and buy a seperate router, that way you can control IPs far easier.
Can't the hub 5 do it in the same way as I described for the hub 3?
Old 04-04-2023, 10:35   #11
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
As I've pointed out, you can permanently fix IP addresses. Those selected devices are no longer dynamically allocated their IP address. I already do so with my various devices, such as a NAS and wireless printer.

Not as straightforward with a superhub as it is with my Asus router, but no apparent reason why it can't be done.
Me too.
Routers, printers and other devices I may want to connect via IP address.

I set DHCP to give addresses between 100 and 200 and then use low numbers for network devices and high numbers for networked devices.

I may look at using a netmask like 255.255.254.0 so 192.168.2.? is used for fixed addresses and 192.168.3.? for DHCP but it's not really needed. I'm never going to have that many devices.

My other thought is to put IOT devices directly on the SH and the rest of the network on the other side of my router like a DMZ. Any compromise on the IOT devices can't then get into the rest of my network.