Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VPN Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

I need to have 2 Ethernet connections

Old 05-04-2023, 14:50   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
I need to have 2 Ethernet connections

I need to have 2 Ethernet connections, at the moment I only have 1, do I need an Ethernet splitter?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2023, 14:53   #2
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: I need to have 2 Ethernet connections

you'd need another network card or usb to ethernet adapter
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 15:00   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Nither is an option. 1 Ethernet it thge Hub and the other is my TV, the wirless is not good enough
Old 05-04-2023, 15:05   #4
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

what are you trying to do?
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 15:17   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

the hub should have 4 connections just run a cable from the Hub to any device.
Old 05-04-2023, 15:45   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

There is no such thing as an ethernet splitter, the equivelent would be an ethernet switch.

However, assuming your not in modem mode, then as Jaymoss says, your hub should have 4 working ethernet ports, of which you're [apparently] only using one.

However, its not really clear how you are set up, and what you are trying to do.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 17:03   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I need to have 2 Ethernet connections, at the moment I only have 1, do I need an Ethernet splitter?
As has been asked before

What is your requirement?

If we know that, we can try to supply an appropriate solution.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:47   #8
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Routedr upstairs and TV downstairs
Old 06-04-2023, 11:00   #9
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

If it's just the TV to connect to the router and WiFi isn't an option you can possibly use powerline where you send ethernet over your mains. How well that works would depend on your mains circuits.

An alternative is to use WiFi repeaters to get the WiFi signal to your TV. If the WiFi signal is OK but the TV doesn't support WiFi then you can use a WiFi bridge or an old router in bridge mode. That will provide WiFi to the router and ethernet to your TV.

The final option is to run ethernet from the router to the TV. This takes more work but could be worth it. You could also then put a wireless access point downstairs to give a better WiFi signal in that part of the house. This could also be a repurposed router.

You can get cheaper, older model routers fairly easily and many will already have the facility to setup as bridge or access point.

If you need a Virgin box away from the router you hopefully already have the VM coax to both locations and then it will again be just routing the ethernet, if you don't have the coax to both locations you will need to get VM to do that.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:57   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

From what I gather the situation is that the TV is not placed in a suitable position to have a wired connection to the hub and the WiFi signal is not quite good enough.
Need to find in-between point to place another router operating in repeater or mesh mode. Doesn't have to be midway, just near enough to allow the TV and hub to get a good WiFi signal from it.The TV connects to the WiFi of the router and the router connects to the WiFi of the hub. The router is the middle-man between the hub and the TV.
Would also improve WiFi coverage across the house.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote