Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 5 and Ethernet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub 5 and Ethernet?

Old 02-03-2023, 03:39   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Superhub 5 and Ethernet?

Hey all

Got the new superhub 5 and wondering the best connection options for my pc ? It’s right next to my superhub so I assume Ethernet is king still. What type of Ethernet cable? There are a lot of levels now and grades !

I seem to be getting faster speeds on my iPhone than my current set up on my desktop with the current Ethernet cable ha

Thanks all in advance for any advice!

Ps it’s volt gig 1 broadband for clarity
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2023, 04:24   #2
ash45
cf.member

Services: Gig1
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Superhub 5 and Ethernet?

if the *HUB5 is bang next to your pc then just anything CAT5e and above if your going to decide to do longer runs then go for Cat 6A and above just for a bit more future proofing.
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:39   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Ethernet should always give you the best connection.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:54   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Cat6 Ethernet Cable will do you fine.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 14:48   #5
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road

I'd be more concerned with your NIC than the cable. To get the absolute best speeds you should have a 2.5Gb or better NIC and connect to Port 1 of your SuperHub. Any old Cat5e cable should let you get a 2.5Gbit link over that distance.

Over a 1Gb Ethernet connection you can expect speeds of around 940Mbps, but over a 2.5Gb connection you will be able to max out your speeds somewhere around 1,150Mbps.
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 23:37   #6
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I've bought a cat 7 ethernet cable before i got your wonderful responses. will this be okay? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the ethernet cable into the hub which goes to my computer doesn't click in fully as the little thing to snip it in is busted. its also old and have no idea how long ive had it for. definitely a few years.

so hopefully the cat 7 cable is okay and i see some improvement.

getting 700 down on my iphone but 454 down on the pc connected to the ethernet cable

it is now in the correct slot!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote