Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HUB 5 High latency since install

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

HUB 5 High latency since install

Old 11-11-2022, 11:07   #16
GW1988
cf.member

GW1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HUB 5 High latency since install

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You need a engineer out to fix this, if you don't report the fault it may not get fixed for you
I have, I shown the engineer when he came to look at the HUB5. he said its being reported to Networks or something like that.

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It may be worth checking with a neighbour as to whether or not they have only one upstream channel. If everyone in your locality only has one upstream channel, then latency lag is guaranteed due to contention. This sort of thing (as in common) is usually down to misconfiguration at the VM end.
Hmm, bit tricky. They are older and wont have a clue. Do all VM speeds have 4 upstream channels?
GW1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2022, 13:11   #17
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I believe all VM have atleast 4, sometimes 5 and 6.
Old 11-11-2022, 16:18   #18
GW1988
cf.member

Quote:
I believe all VM have atleast 4, sometimes 5 and 6.
Thanks for this information. I appreciate all your help. I'll update the thread when I get more feedback from VM.
Old 11-11-2022, 17:52   #19
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW1988 View Post
Thanks for this information. I appreciate all your help. I'll update the thread when I get more feedback from VM.
If you login to the My Virginmedia app and click on 'Status' it may tell you if there is an issue in your area.
Old 11-11-2022, 21:57   #20
GW1988
cf.member

Quote:
If you login to the My Virginmedia app and click on 'Status' it may tell you if there is an issue in your area.
No known issues. Another engineer coming out Wednesday....
Old 16-11-2022, 18:27   #21
GW1988
cf.member

Just to update the thread, another VM technician came out today. He checked and could only see one upstream on his phone. Took my Hub3 to the cabinet across the road and confirmed that at the cab there was only one upstream too. He said "Networks" would come out tomorrow and fix.

Do you think this is why the HUB5 was acting up, especially as it wasn't reporting the upload channels at all?
Old 16-11-2022, 20:18   #22
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Just to update the thread, another VM technician came out today. He checked and could only see one upstream on his phone. Took my Hub3 to the cabinet across the road and confirmed that at the cab there was only one upstream too. He said "Networks" would come out tomorrow and fix.

Do you think this is why the HUB5 was acting up, especially as it wasn't reporting the upload channels at all?
Yes - the technician did an even better thing than asking the neighbours! The entire locality was/is suffering the same upstream impairment.

The upstream is modulated at 64QAM because the frequency range is prone to noise ingress. So, for the last 8 or so years, everyone had 4 bonded channels to give everyone a chance to get something out of the upstream.

Now VM is introducing a later version of the transmission protocol. The 4 upstream channels use the DOCSIS 3.0 protocol and they're expanding that to 5 channels. The later version is DOCSIS 3.1 which, although operating in the same frequency range, is 'clever' enough to be more noise tolerant than DOCSIS 3.0. DOCSIS 3.1 is the precursor to higher upstream speeds, like 100 or 200 meg.

HTH.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 00:22   #23
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:

It's a shame you got rid of the Hub 5, not sure if you could easily get it back.
Old 17-11-2022, 02:55   #24
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
To be honest I never trust this as Virgin doesn't always update it.

I've seen me having issues for a few days and this was never updated even though it was an area issue with others with the same issues.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 08:23   #25
GW1988
cf.member

Quote:
It's a shame you got rid of the Hub 5, not sure if you could easily get it back.
I actually still have it.
Old 17-11-2022, 08:25   #26
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

It may still be associated with your account. So try it.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 10:22   #27
GW1988
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It may still be associated with your account. So try it.
I don't think it is. The technician had on his phone a list of devices associated with my account and the Hub3 was showing, not the 5. Will wait to see if the above issue gets fixed then do the swap over.

Will update the thread when it happens.
Old 17-11-2022, 12:54   #28
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It'll be on your account, but not have any services assigned. If you want to start using it you'll need to get VM to move the services from the other hub
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 16:27   #29
GW1988
cf.member

Yeah I'll wait till the issue is fixed and then transfer over.
Old 20-11-2022, 15:05   #30
GW1988
cf.member

Still not fixed. Do VM have a timescale that they have to fix issues like this in?

Am I also in contention for compensation seeing as I'm not getting full upload?