Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Celebrating 60 Years of James Bond

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Celebrating 60 Years of James Bond

Old 27-04-2022, 11:32   #31
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Celebrating 60 Years of James Bond

How can you compare bond to 60s Batman??

That's just not even a thing. Early bond films are classic cinema and fantastic movies in their own right. Way more immersive than many new films. Most visual effects and stunt work was all captured on film none of this CGI blue screen fakery.
Old 27-04-2022, 11:42   #32
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How can you compare bond to 60s Batman??
The terrible sound and overall cheeseyness. The only reason you watch something like that is to cringe and laugh.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 11:57   #33
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

What terrible sound?

Sean Connery and George Lazenby were not OOT cheesy. They were just a product of their time. It was when Roger Moore took over that it went laughable at times. However they are still mostly good fun and enjoyable to watch.

They certainly aren't as tongue in cheek or as cheesy as 60s Batman. Not even on the same scale.
Old 27-04-2022, 12:08   #34
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Loved Goldeneye. Might have to go and re-live it on the big screen.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 12:16   #35
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What terrible sound?
The diabolical dubbing of every sound effect. They sound like chinese/japanese films. Fake punches, fake gun shots, fake explosiins, fake car noises, fake everything. I know they are a product of their time but it doesn't mean they are good or are worth (or enjoy) watching today.
Old 27-04-2022, 12:49   #36
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
The diabolical dubbing of every sound effect. They sound like chinese/japanese films. Fake punches, fake gun shots, fake explosiins, fake car noises, fake everything. I know they are a product of their time but it doesn't mean they are good or are worth (or enjoy) watching today.
Yes a lot of things were ADR but that doesn't make them bad or terrible. In fact the won an Oscar for best sound for Goldfinger. Also some early Oscars for visual effects for Thunderball.

A lot 9f what Bond was doing for cinema was cutting edge at the time. Most film and TV now still dubs sounds and voices, it's just harder to notice with better technology behind it.
Old 27-04-2022, 13:20   #37
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Well I enjoy all the Bonds they tick my enjoyment factor boxes.
Old 27-04-2022, 13:33   #38
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Well I enjoy all the Bonds they tick my enjoyment factor boxes.
Same for me although Moore is my least favourite Bond.
Old 27-04-2022, 14:23   #39
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
From someone who claims to be a film aficionado this is very disappointing. You truly have no sense of film as an art-form. As Stephen already pointed out, far from being fake, Goldfinger actually won the oscar that year for its sound. i.e. it was, in the view of the Academy, the state of the art at the time it was made.

Film is indeed meant to be immersive, but clearly you're working to a different definition of immersive to the Academy, BAFTA and just about everyone else. Film is meant to do more than engorge your realism factor. It's about finding new ways to tell interesting stories and examine ideas. And, in point of fact, without the work of sound editors on 1960s films like Goldfinger, you wouldn't have the sound production you so love on films today. The art is in a constant state of development and innovation, and classic films remain classics because of their achievement at the time as well as their contribution to the development of the art. If you don't understand that, you're no sort of film fan at all.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 15:17   #40
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
From someone who claims to be a film aficionado
I can confidently say I have never said that in my life

Quote:
classic films remain classics because of their achievement at the time as well as their contribution to the development of the art.
indeed but it doesn't mean they carry the same weight or value today. The whole point is that they were fantastic for their time. Just because a film may have been ground breaking in the 1930s doesn't mean I want to watch it today. The Artist is a perfect example if you have seen it. Would you want an infantry battalion from WWII in our army today or a dot matrix printer? They were good in the day but that is where they belong.
Old 27-04-2022, 15:50   #41
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

There were groundbreaking and great for when they were made and they are still good to this day.

That's like saying Star Wars was great for 1977 but it's not worth watching now as effects and sound are better on new films.

Just not logical.
Old 27-04-2022, 16:08   #42
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I can confidently say I have never said that in my life
And yet you harp on at length about Oscar nominations, have opinions on all sorts of films and relentlessly share ‘how it should have ended’ type material on here. You clearly have strong views on how you think films *should* be made.

Quote:
indeed but it doesn't mean they carry the same weight or value today.
On the contrary, it means exactly that.

Quote:
The whole point is that they were fantastic for their time. Just because a film may have been ground breaking in the 1930s doesn't mean I want to watch it today. The Artist is a perfect example if you have seen it. Would you want an infantry battalion from WWII in our army today or a dot matrix printer? They were good in the day but that is where they belong.
… and here again you miss the point by a country mile, because for all your claimed interest in film, what actually titillates you can be very narrowly defined indeed. You want to be effortlessly transported into a situation as if you were there, without having to do any significant mental or emotional engagement of your own, and you dislike being challenged by a film ending in a way other than you want it to.

If that’s what you go to the cinema for, then fine. I won’t argue with that, plenty of people do so and are perfectly happy. But criticising classic films as being of less current value because of their age or production methods defies all logic. You might as well argue Leonardo da Vinci’s work is worth less because he used lead-based pigments in his paint.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 23:53   #43
General Maximus
Ran Away

if it makes you feel any better I have just been to see Starship Troopers at the cinema and I enjoyed it as much this time round as I did when I first saw it 25 years ago.

Quote:
relentlessly share ‘how it should have ended’ type material on here.
yup, that's because I get berated for my views and opinions on films and anyone would get the impression from this forum that I am the odd one out and the only person who thinks the way I do. I laugh my ass off (literally) when I watch the HISHE's and they pick up on everything I do. I post them to reinforce my point of view and show I am not in the minority.
Old 28-04-2022, 01:35   #44
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Many of the HISHE and honest trailers are done for a laugh and a joke, not a serious view in any way.
Old 28-04-2022, 12:14   #45
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I recently bought the box set of James Bond and must say the older films are the best.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote