Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | From virgin to Freesat, using existing cable box...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

From virgin to Freesat, using existing cable box...

Old 03-01-2022, 16:31   #1
Bladerunner81
cf.member

Bladerunner81 is an unknown quantity at this point
From virgin to Freesat, using existing cable box...

Good afternoon,

My parents currently have virgin TV through cable , there's an old nynex box on their outer wall which connects their virgin .
( They don't have a roof aerial )
They are looking to get rid of virgin and use Freeview, this has proved a problem signal wise with no rooftop aerial , so I suggested free sat .
Would it be possible does anyone know , to connect the sat dish into the existing nynex box which then runs through to their back room , a d plug into their new sat receiver once they have one.
I'm asking as they have laminate flooring so any new connection would be a pain to put o
In, so was wondering if somehow could utilise any existing connections and I can't find anything online which answers this specifically.

Thanks in advance for any advice , and happy new year ✌️
Bladerunner81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2022, 17:39   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: From virgin to Freesat, using existing cable box...

No, you need to connect freesat to a dish
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 19:34   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Can I ask why you think the nynex box should be part of the equation?

I've not heard of it, and I've had Cable for a very long time now.

Freesat basically is like other Digital TV, you connect a tuner to a receiver, in that case a satellite dish to a box via a cable.

How bad is the indoor aerial reception for Freeview? Only one of my Freeview screens uses an indoor aeriel and it's very good reception where I live.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 19:58   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Can I ask why you think the nynex box should be part of the equation?

I've not heard of it, and I've had Cable for a very long time now.

Freesat basically is like other Digital TV, you connect a tuner to a receiver, in that case a satellite dish to a box via a cable.

How bad is the indoor aerial reception for Freeview? Only one of my Freeview screens uses an indoor aeriel and it's very good reception where I live.
Nynex was one of the old regional cablecos. It had a network in northwest England, and eventually became part of Cable & Wireless, then NTL, and now Virgin Media.

Those of us who hang around here a lot understand that you can’t decode signals from cable TV using a Freesat or a Freeview box, but not everyone does. That’s why people come on and ask questions, and that’s why we’re happy to answer them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 22:33   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nynex was one of the old regional cablecos. It had a network in northwest England, and eventually became part of Cable & Wireless, then NTL, and now Virgin Media.

Those of us who hang around here a lot understand that you can’t decode signals from cable TV using a Freesat or a Freeview box, but not everyone does. That’s why people come on and ask questions, and that’s why we’re happy to answer them.
I think what Bladerunner was asking is if the cable from the Nynex box could be used to connect the sat dish to the freeview box due to the laminate flooring.

The answer to that would be:- Officially, no.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 22:37   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I think what Bladerunner was asking is if the cable from the Nynex box could be used to connect the sat dish to the freeview box due to the laminate flooring.

The answer to that would be:- Officially, no.
You really would need two feeds for recording ability
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 00:00   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I'm well aware of the situation you outline in th 2nd paragraph, I've seen it a lot myself. I'd guessed Nynex might be an old cableco but I didn't want to assume. My cableco knowledge started when Cable came to my area, but is mostly from the time at the tail end of the consolidating when there were around 5-7 left.

Appreciate answer
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 18:17   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Most Freesat boxes require 2 coaxial cables & not just one from the dish LNB.

If you do use any existing cable infrastructure ensure it is completely isolated from VMs cable drop coming into the property.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote