Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 22-02-2023, 07:38   #11161
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

HBO Max or WB Max or whatever the combined service will have a sport tiers , the entertainment tier might well include 'Discovery+' content.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 22-02-2023 at 07:47.
TimeLord2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2023, 11:51   #11162
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
HBO Max or WB Max or whatever the combined service will have a sport tiers , the entertainment tier might well include 'Discovery+' content.
Yup.

I think the interesting thing is whether they take the fight to Sky in the UK and offer a fully-fledged streaming service with sport, entertainment and factual content and prioritise HBO content for this. Or whether they prefer to take Sky's money for HBO content and have a slimmer streaming offer.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 19:59   #11163
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

I've seen a few posts on the VM forum about dark picture on the Sky Sports UHD channels. Would my TV be suitable?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/sa...-10221998.html
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 22:39   #11164
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Yup.

I think the interesting thing is whether they take the fight to Sky in the UK and offer a fully-fledged streaming service with sport, entertainment and factual content and prioritise HBO content for this. Or whether they prefer to take Sky's money for HBO content and have a slimmer streaming offer.
I don't think they'll take the fight to Sky, because they will be Sky!

Many pundits believe that Sky's owner Comcast, will merge/buy Warner Bros Discovery in the next few years.
Old 22-02-2023, 22:56   #11165
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

Quote:
Yup.

It looks like the plans are One-Stop Shop for Sports and Entertainment in U.K based on this article last May.

https://variety.com/2022/sports/glob...jv-1235265074/
Old 22-02-2023, 23:23   #11166
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

Many pundits believe that Sky's owner Comcast, will merge/buy Warner Bros Discovery in the next few years.
That’s right and NBC Universal as well.
Old 23-02-2023, 00:05   #11167
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

I very much doubt it will happen or why would WBD bother to acquire 50% of BT Sport?

A combination of Comcast and Paramount is more likely and they do already co-operate in some European territories via the Sky Showtime service.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=sky+pa...st=5&FORM=PERE

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Quote:
It looks like the plans are One-Stop Shop for Sports and Entertainment in U.K based on this article last May.

https://variety.com/2022/sports/glob...jv-1235265074/
Good find.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 12:51   #11168
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

What coems to mind is the level of availability of TNT Sports to VM customers.

Currently, XL (or whatever it is called these days) customer have BT Sport as part of that package, as had been the case with ESPN and originally Setanta Sports. Will Warner allow this to continue? Also, will Eurosport's content disappear behind a subscription paywall, making it only available if you pay £30/month (or whatever BT Sport costs for satellite customers).
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 13:27   #11169
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I very much doubt it will happen or why would WBD bother to acquire 50% of BT Sport?

A combination of Comcast and Paramount is more likely and they do already co-operate in some European territories via the Sky Showtime service.
The American regulators will never allow that because it would bring two of their big two networks, NBC and CBS, together. Although I guess they could sell one of them, but what would be the point?

A Comcast/WBD makes more sense, especially so in regards to sports rights, because its all about the tech giants now and it has been since Murdoch sold off most of his empire.

Apple, Amazon and Google are serious about sports rights, Mircosoft has yet to show its hand, so a newly enlarged Sky/NBC/WBD may reckon it'll be big enough to compete against Big Tech. But I have always been guided by what Murdoch said when he sold out, and he said he couldn't compete against the tech giants. If he couldn't, neither can any of the other traditional Hollywood/media companies either.

In the States, Apple has already won Major Leaague Soccer rights and baseball rights and I expect Apple to continue bidding for more sports rights in the future. Although, it went head to head with Google over some of the NFL rights currently held by DirectTV, but backed out. Despite Apple's deep pockets, 2 billion dollars a year was too much for them, but not for Google.

Likewise, over recent years, Amazon has been building up significant sports right too. From some NFL rights in the States to UEFA and some premiership rights in the UK. That will just continue.

And finally, bidding for the premier league rights starts this year and Big Tech is going to be heavily invested in that. In this article I am linking below, I found it interesting that eight of the clubs are now 100% American owned.

I have always said the goal is for the Big Tech to bid for global sports rights and so the sports can only be viewed on their respective streamers. It's happening in the States, but at the moment the football rights in the UK are only for UK viewers, but that will change at some point. Paying 10 billion quid a year for some global premierhship rights will seem like small fry in the future, as far as Big Tech is concerned. Sky, Disney, WBD etc cannot compete against that.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/tv/apple...ST-415657.html

Last edited by Horizon; 23-02-2023 at 13:41.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 13:29   #11170
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

I doubt wouldn't be allowed to own both Sport networks in the UK and US.

Where did this rumour come from ?

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 23-02-2023 at 13:38.
Old 23-02-2023, 13:40   #11171
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
What coems to mind is the level of availability of TNT Sports to VM customers.

Currently, XL (or whatever it is called these days) customer have BT Sport as part of that package, as had been the case with ESPN and originally Setanta Sports. Will Warner allow this to continue? Also, will Eurosport's content disappear behind a subscription paywall, making it only available if you pay £30/month (or whatever BT Sport costs for satellite customers).
I reckon they'll have may have one channel left in the future which they'll use to promote their streaming service and that channel will remain free.

What deals they do with VM remains to be seen, perhaps they'll do what Sky are currently doing and bundling Discovery+ into the XL bundle.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Quote:
I doubt wouldn't be allowed to own both Sport networks in the UK and US.

Where did this rumour come from ?
There's a global language that trumps everything else and it's called money. What seems unlikely today, will be the norm in the future, I reckon. Unless Big Tech start to run into problems and have to start saving their pennies.
Old 23-02-2023, 13:46   #11172
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The American regulators will never allow that because it would bring two of their big two networks, NBC and CBS, together. Although I guess they could sell one of them, but what would be the point?

A Comcast?WBD makes more sense, especially so in regards to sports rights, because its all about the tech giants now and it has been since Murdoch sold off most of his empire.

Apple, Amazon and Google are serious about sports rights, Mircosoft has yet to show its hand, so a newly enlarged Sky/NBC/WBD may reckon it'll be big enough to compete against Big Tech. But I have always been guided by what Murdoch said when he sold out, and he said he couldn't compete against the tech giants. If he couldn't, neither can any of the other traditional Hollywood/media companies either.

In the States, Apple has already won Major Leaague Soccer rights and baseball rights and I expect Apple to continue bidding for more sports rights in the future. Although, it went head to head with Google over some of the NFL rights currently held by DirectTV, but backed out. Despite Apple's deep pockets, 2 billion dollars a year was too much for them, but not for Google.

Likewise, over recent years, Amazon has been building up significant sports right too. From some NFL rights in the States to UEFA and some premiership rights in the UK. That will just continue.

And finally, bidding for the premier league rights starts this year and Big Tech is going to be heavily invested in that. In this article I am linking below, I found it interesting that eight of the clubs are now 100% American owned.

I have always said the goal is for the Big Tech to bid for global sports rights and so the sports can only be viewed on their respective streamers. It's happening in the States, but at the moment the football rights in the UK are only for UK viewers, but that will change at some point. Paying 10 billion quid a year for some global premierhship rights will seem like small fry in the future, as far as Big Tech is concerned. Sky, Disney, WBD etc cannot compete against that.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/tv/apple...ST-415657.html
I think for the most parts, some of the big tech giants are actually far more prudent than some give them credit for… I think there’s does seem to be an assumption they can just offer anything and take what they want from the table when it’s apparent that isn’t the case… you rightly mention Apple and Sunday Ticket (especially more awkward as reports indicate Apple were asking for things that weren’t even on the table!) and Amazon are being fairly disciplined about things like football (the recent UCL deal in Italy where they just opted to hold onto their one game per round as opposed to some big splashy blow everyone out the water deal) and letting things go like the ATP/WTA… if anything I think Amazon are behaving more like a disciplined broadcaster than a cash rich spender!

I think Apple do want big, global and with everything in rights and I think that might actually be the right move for the likes of MLS who are struggling to scale in their own country let alone the rest of the world as well as other smaller players (who I think will be watching that MLS deal with interest) but I think some of the bigger tier one sports, though they may move more and more inventory to streaming are more inclined to hedge themselves a bit by spreading the wealth either in their home markets or key territories rather than committing themselves to a single partner globally where they may essentially be at the mercy of that one partner. F1 as an example of someone who have been furiously tying up new deals globally with existing partners (even though they may be the one best placed for a big f*** off global deal), NFL keeping their home territory mainly on linear with multiple partners and then that recent DAZN deal to offload Game Pass and even Big Ten college football spreading the wealth amongst US linear (and avoiding Amazon who offered a big number for the game that I believe went to CBS on Saturday afternoons).

I think what the NBA do in the next couple of years with their tv rights is going to be an interesting one to see - I won’t be surprised if they split their US inventory even more but maybe do something a bit more scaled outside of the US.

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 23-02-2023 at 13:52.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 14:25   #11173
Horizon
Media Watcher

I think you're right, the Big Tech won't just throw money away, but at the moment it's all about positioning and seeing who'll be number one. That takes a lot of money, especially if they end up, as I expect they will, buying up all the old Hollywood companies.

But I kind of hinted at it in my previous post, but at some point I expect Big Tech to cut out the "middle man" and as an example, they'll directly own the premierhship clubs. A new UK sports regulator has just been set up today in the expectation of changes to come, so expect fireworks on this front in the future. (makes good entertainment, if nothing else)
Old 23-02-2023, 14:29   #11174
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

A Comcast/WBD combination would be interesting for the UK sports market. Would the CMA allow Sky's 11 channels, and TNT's seven, under common ownership? My answer is: probably not.
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 15:07   #11175
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
A Comcast/WBD combination would be interesting for the UK sports market. Would the CMA allow Sky's 11 channels, and TNT's seven, under common ownership? My answer is: probably not.
Assuming a Comcast/WBD merger was even allowed (and I have my doubts it would pass unless they can somehow position it as a big shield against a big tech monopoly) I think it’s likely there would need to be some serious divestments or spins to make it happen… suspect on this side of the Atlantic it’s obviously sports like TNT and Eurosport more so than entertainment whereas in the US, it’s issues like CNN and MSNBC and flagship channels like TNT and USA.

My honest thought is that Comcast themselves are probably only interested in the prominent creative assets such as the studio, the library, DC, Potter and HBO… think they’d be happy to let a lot of the tv assets go as I’m not sure how additive they are for them.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote