Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving from Virgin to Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Moving from Virgin to Sky

Old 08-03-2023, 17:15   #1
tcavanagh
cf.member

tcavanagh is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving from Virgin to Sky

Hi all

I'm moving from virgin to sky, due to price increase. I've been with Virgin from the start and never changed provider before. How would you swap over. I assume that I give Virgin a months notice and purchase my Sky package just before the end of my months notice. I don't want to be left without TV or internet or paying for both at the same time.

Any advice would be welcomed.
tcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2023, 21:36   #2
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Moving from Virgin to Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcavanagh View Post
Hi all

I'm moving from virgin to sky, due to price increase. I've been with Virgin from the start and never changed provider before. How would you swap over. I assume that I give Virgin a months notice and purchase my Sky package just before the end of my months notice. I don't want to be left without TV or internet or paying for both at the same time.

Any advice would be welcomed.
I'd ask Sky for an estimate of the lead time to get you connected up, bearing in mind you're relying on Openreach to do the work. There's likely to be some overlap of services unless you run it close to the wire and risk being without anything for a period.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 23:58   #3
EBO48
Living a dream

Services: Tivo+ PHONE + BB
EBO48 has a spectacular aura about themEBO48 has a spectacular aura about themEBO48 has a spectacular aura about themEBO48 has a spectacular aura about them

My experience is that openreach took 2 months to instal the BB as i wasn't porting the tel no The sky tv was about one week, I was keeping the BB from virgin (2 systems running in house)
EBO48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:23   #4
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Are you looking at a dish or Stream for the TV? If the latter and you book online (Sky.com) you can select an install date for the broadband. Lead time seems to be a few weeks currently.
I’m out of contract with VM in June and have negotiated a reduced rate on my Volt deal until then. Sky offers are attractive at the moment and their T&Cs aren’t as inflationary as Virgin’s. I plan to call both Sky and Virgin in May
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:12   #5
tcavanagh
cf.member

tcavanagh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your advice. Gosh, very long lead times, need to get cracking.
tcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 17:41   #6
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcavanagh View Post
Thank you all for your advice. Gosh, very long lead times, need to get cracking.
Probably all the Virgin customers leaving in droves.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 19:18   #7
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
Probably all the Virgin customers leaving in droves.
That VM postal box in Sunderland had better be big
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2023, 13:29   #8
Big_les
cf.member

Big_les is an unknown quantity at this point

VM will be getting my letter very soon, as Openreach is now installing in my road

Quick question to save opening another thread. Do I have to use a Sky provided router, or can I use my own?
Big_les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2023, 13:53   #9
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_les View Post
VM will be getting my letter very soon, as Openreach is now installing in my road

Quick question to save opening another thread. Do I have to use a Sky provided router, or can I use my own?
I use the sky supplied router but other people use their own - there's plenty of discussion about it on the sky forum.

This may be a good place to start reading.

Last edited by GrimUpNorth; 29-10-2023 at 13:57. Reason: Added link.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2023, 13:58   #10
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I took BT on as I could get the Social Tariff and they could do it within a week including an engineer visit to fix a box as my line was cut many months ago. I booked it for 2 weeks from my phone call.

No penalty contract with the Social Tariff so I had it installed so I could test it even though VM gave me a cracking deal. I will get rid of BT when I can not afford it as a spare connection but at least now I know that I can get a reliable connection through them
Old 29-10-2023, 16:18   #11
Big_les
cf.member

Big_les is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I use the sky supplied router but other people use their own - there's plenty of discussion about it on the sky forum.

This may be a good place to start reading.
Thanks for that. I do want to keep to my own router.
Big_les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:14   #12
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

I think that it is worth stating for the benefit of people thinking of moving to Sky that, as with VM, their customer facing operation is mostly based overseas, mostly India, rather than in the UK, and that most will not transfer you to a UK call centre. The chances if getting the call answered by someone who is not in India is very low.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote