Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Any real benefits of Linksy WRT54G?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Any real benefits of Linksy WRT54G?

Old 15-10-2006, 12:57   #1
JonRF
Inactive

Services: NTL: 2MB Broadband, Digital TV
JonRF is an unknown quantity at this point
Any real benefits of Linksy WRT54G?

Hi.

We've just acquired 2mb Broadband from NTL, they set us up with their standard 250 cable modem. The connection seemed to been responding well when I had my iMac plugged directly into this. But problems have started since adding my NETGEAR wireless router (WGR614).

I powered down the NTL modem and connect the NETGEAR via the patch. Then powered up the cable modem, followed by the wireless router, followed by my iMac. (All with 5min intervals inbetween)

The connection on my system (and my housemates 2 PCs) now seems a bit temperamental, with speeds varying and the connection dropping and returning when it fancies. We all have a strong signal from the router, but our average download speed stays around 18kb/sec. So the problem must remain in the relationship between the NETGEAR router and NTL cable modem.

Now I've read alot of posts of people recommending the Linksy WRT54G working well with NTL. So before I do away with my NETGEAR router, I was wondering...

1.) {{I downloaded the online manual for the WRT54GS to see what connections it had on the rear of the unit, expecting to see a direct socket for the NTL cable wire to connect.}} Will the Linksy unit make things any quicker, more stable?

2.) Can you buy a cable wireless modem so we can do away with the NTL 250 Cable Modem all together?

3.) What's the difference between the WRT54G and WRT54GS??

4.) Is there any steps I've missed out to improve things?

Sorry for any grammatical errors above. Thanks in advance for any help.
JonRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2006, 13:03   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Any real benefits of Linksy WRT54G?

to Cable Forum

The Linksys WRT54GS is a great little router - I use one, but that doesn't mean it's better than the Netgear. Before you rush into buying one, you need to understand why the Netgear isn't doing the job.

Firstly, if you connect a PC direct to the Cable Modem, do you get good stable speeds? If you are using wireless, make sure it's secured to only those on your network, and pehaps try changin the channels in case there is interference somewhere.

There is no combined cable modem router available for the UK. He difference between WRT54G and 54GS is Speedstep. Claimed to make wireless a tad faster, but possibly only if you are using a Speedstep compatible wireless card.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 14:17   #3
JonRF
Inactive

Sorry, I've just realised I probably posted this under the wrong topic

We were recieving normal speeds when plugged directly into the NTL cable modem. Also secured the wireless network to our household using WEP encryption. Can't see what difference changing the channel would make, there aren't any other wireless connections in the area that could interfere.

Going through the router settings, I can't see anything else that you could tweak in order to improve the connection

Here is a log if it helps:

Router Status

Account Name WGR614v4
Firmware Version V5.0_02

Internet Port

DHCP DHCP Client
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.252.0
Domain Name Server 194.168.8.100, 194.168.4.100

LAN Port

DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Wireless Port
Name (SSID) NETGEAR12
Region Europe
Channel 11
Mode g and b
Wireless AP On
Broadcast Name On
Old 15-10-2006, 14:23   #4
zing_deleted

put your ip away mate lol and mac address too if both are real
Old 15-10-2006, 15:35   #5
JonRF
Inactive

lol - cheers for that.

Okay I'm now plugged directly into the NTL cable modem. Ran a speed test:

Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:31:54 GMT

1st 512K took 4509 ms = 113.6 KB/sec, approx 936 Kbps, 0.91 Mbps
2nd 512K took 4251 ms = 120.4 KB/sec, approx 992 Kbps, 0.97 Mbps
3rd 512K took 4354 ms = 117.6 KB/sec, approx 969 Kbps, 0.95 Mbps
4th 512K took 4387 ms = 116.7 KB/sec, approx 962 Kbps, 0.94 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 965 Kbps, 0.94 Mbps

So something is up with NTL on their behalf. I really don't want to ring them up, can anyone think of any more sugestions?
Old 15-10-2006, 15:43   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

So you are on a 1 meg service? You do need to phone them and get them to test and reconfigure from their end.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 16:26   #7
JonRF
Inactive

Yeah. I'll get onto them later and ask what's going on.

Back to the NETGEAR router, I'm on wireless again now and speed tests shows:

Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:18:24 GMT

1st 512K took 30530 ms = 16.8 KB/sec, approx 138 Kbps, 0.13 Mbps
2nd 512K took 22532 ms = 22.7 KB/sec, approx 187 Kbps, 0.18 Mbps
3rd 512K took 33832 ms = 15.1 KB/sec, approx 124 Kbps, 0.12 Mbps
4th 512K took 41860 ms = 12.2 KB/sec, approx 101 Kbps, 0.1 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 138 Kbps, 0.13 Mbps

So a huge difference with and without the wireless router. I've tried nearly every combination of settings on the router and our computers and there's been no improvements. It's gonna have to go.