Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future of television

Old 15-12-2022, 13:26   #616
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: The future of television

So the important point is that if a programme is scheduled on a "channel" at Wednesday, 9pm, and you dont watch it at 9pm on Wednesday, you have missed it (unless its scheduled to be repeated at some other time). Also, it doesnt matter how its delivered, just the fixed timing ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2022, 14:31   #617
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So the important point is that if a programme is scheduled on a "channel" at Wednesday, 9pm, and you dont watch it at 9pm on Wednesday, you have missed it (unless its scheduled to be repeated at some other time). Also, it doesnt matter how its delivered, just the fixed timing ?
If you don’t watch it at 9pm on Wednesday you can use your PVR, or catch up stream if it exists … what’s important is that the TV station organises a broadcast schedule. It doesn’t matter how it’s broadcast - the BBC One IP stream accessed via iPlayer is still a linear TV channel, showing the news, then the One Show, followed by ‘Enders and whatever else, and even though you can select stuff on demand from the same app.

The two key questions this and similar threads have tried to address over the years are:

1. Will traditional broadcast over satellite and terrestrial eventually be shut down in favour of exclusively IP delivery?
2. Will IP delivered content be scheduled, on demand, or a mixture of both?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 15:02   #618
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That’s the point most of have been making for the last seven years - things change, so making dogmatic predictions that things will come about by a certain date is "brave*" and "courageous*".

And, tbf, some of your recent predictions proved to be not congruent with actuality…

*as in "Yes, Minister"
So, on this forum, nobody wants to discuss what might happen in the future. OK, message received, over and out.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you don’t watch it at 9pm on Wednesday you can use your PVR, or catch up stream if it exists … what’s important is that the TV station organises a broadcast schedule. It doesn’t matter how it’s broadcast - the BBC One IP stream accessed via iPlayer is still a linear TV channel, showing the news, then the One Show, followed by ‘Enders and whatever else, and even though you can select stuff on demand from the same app.

The two key questions this and similar threads have tried to address over the years are:

1. Will traditional broadcast over satellite and terrestrial eventually be shut down in favour of exclusively IP delivery?
Questions that no-one on this forum seems to want the answer to, or even discuss properly, except to insist nothing will change. This is despite the changes along that road fitting pretty well with a prediction I made seven years ago now, when forum members thought the whole idea of on demand viewing becoming a preferred means of watching TV in the future was nonsense and couldn’t be supported anyway due to a lack of electricity.

Those comments seem rather silly now, but there you are. Wallow in the past and present if you want to, but I like to look at what may be coming down the road.

I am perfectly aware of the fact that FAST channels are linear channels (I never said they were not) - what I am saying is that I believe the main channels on our EPG’s will be grouped under one brand in future and will be available on demand only. I’m at a loss as to why some people cannot grasp that simple concept. Instead, people are obsessing over whether a method of delivery is linear or not (etc, etc) and conflating what I have said into something completely different.

Is it so difficult to grasp the concept of EPG channels being on demand only, with content accessed by category rather than channel? In the end, that is all I am saying. FAST channels may or may not survive in the long term and I have not formed a firm view on whether they will survive or whether this is just a transitional phenomenon.

Anyway, enough. If all people want to do is argue and ridicule, I guess it’s pretty pointless trying to explain it any further. Only the passage of time will confirm what will happen. I’ve told you what I think. Make of it what you will.

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Yes, basically, but I would add that you can also record it.

It most certainly doesn’t really matter how content is delivered. All I have done is to say how I believe it will be delivered in the future.
Old 15-12-2022, 15:03   #619
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So, on this forum, nobody wants to discuss what might happen in the future. OK, message received, over and out.
We’re happy to discuss possible futures, options, differences of opinions in what might happen in this (and other) areas.

Unfortunately, on this topic, you’re not - you’ve not just drawn a line in the sand about the future of linear programming, you’ve dug a 50 foot ditch, filled it with water and sharks, put minefields, barbed wire fences, and machine-gun towers either side of the ditch, then played loud music over the speakers on the towers so as not to be influenced by anything anyone else contributes…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 15:13   #620
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Scheduled linear television over the internet is a new phenomenon???
I didn’t say that. What is new is the variation of ‘themed’ FAST channels such as those listed on Pluto TV. And yes, these are linear channels over the internet, but that is not what I have been referring to in my prediction. My focus is the existing EPG channels.

But you know that.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Quote:
We’re happy to discuss possible futures, options, differences of opinions in what might happen in this (and other) areas.

Unfortunately, on this topic, you’re not - you’ve not just drawn a line in the sand about the future of linear programming, you’ve dug a 50 foot ditch, filled it with water and sharks, put minefields, barbed wire fences, and machine-gun towers either side of the ditch, then played loud music over the speakers on the towers so as not to be influenced by anything anyone else contributes…
I’m trying to have a discussion, but nobody seems to want to discuss it. The whole idea is anathema to you guys!

I have answered all the relevant points that have been put to me but it’s as if I haven’t said anything, and the constant repetition of what I am supposed to have said when I have repeated time and again that is untrue, shows that people on here are not listening.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 15-12-2022 at 16:31.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 15:14   #621
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I didn’t say that. What is new is the variation of ‘themed’ FAST channels such as those listed on Pluto TV. And yes, these are linear channels over the internet, but that is not what Ihave been referring to in my prediction. My focus is the existing EPG channels.

But you know that.

I’m trying to have a discussion, but nobody seems to want to discuss it. The whole idea is anathema to you guys!

I have answered all the relevant points that have been put to me but it’s as if I haven’t said anything, and the constant repetition of what I am supposed to have said when I have repeated time and again that is untrue, shows that people on here are not listening.
You seem to be having some serious difficulty with the concept of people disagreeing with you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 15:37   #622
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
1. Not in our lifetimes, in the distant future, perhaps.
2. I think a mixture of both, for a very long time yet.

The difference between "scheduled+pvr" and "on-demand" is pretty much none.

In both cases, it has an initial release time, but can be watched "on-demand".
My wife watches all her shows like this, the sky box records them, she watches them when she is ready, sometimes weeks later.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 16:17   #623
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY
What I am saying is that linear channels will become much less popular with time and that broadcasters will conclude that there is no point in continuing with them as programmes are far more accessible on demand. When all broadcasting goes to IPTV, the natural conclusion broadcasters are likely to make is that this is the appropriate time to change for the future.
My definition of a linear channel has always been clear.

A sequence of continuous programming where everyone watching that channel (or stream) is watching the exact same thing at the same time according to what the broadcaster sends out. It’s completely agnostic to the method of delivery.

Last edited by jfman; 15-12-2022 at 16:22.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 16:34   #624
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

A sequence of continuous programming where everyone watching that channel (or stream) is watching the exact same thing at the same time according to what the broadcaster sends out. It’s completely agnostic to the method of delivery.
On that, we agree. But that was never in dispute.
Old 15-12-2022, 16:34   #625
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I didn’t say that. What is new is the variation of ‘themed’ FAST channels such as those listed on Pluto TV. And yes, these are linear channels over the internet, but that is not what Ihave been referring to in my prediction. My focus is the existing EPG channels.

But you know that.

Streaming is just too flaky OB. It's at the mercy of over subscription or being 'offline'. Mine was down for a couple of days last week. Without my beautiful aerial I'd have missed the England quarter final ( mind you that might not have been a bad thing).

At a time of national emergency we're going to be reliant on terrestrial broadcasts. All Putin has to do is hack our BB networks, something he's quite good at...
Tv isnt just for entertainment it's a public service, which needs more than one delivery medium to reach all.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 16:43   #626
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Streaming is just too flaky OB. It's at the mercy of over subscription or being 'offline'. Mine was down for a couple of days last week. Without my beautiful aerial I'd have missed the England quarter final ( mind you that might not have been a bad thing).

At a time of national emergency we're going to be reliant on terrestrial broadcasts. All Putin has to do is hack our BB networks, something he's quite good at...
Tv isnt just for entertainment it's a public service, which needs more than one delivery medium to reach all.
I agree, there are indeed problems and concerns that still need to be ironed out. And yet broadcasters are ramping up their desire on get people to stream, hence the ‘digital first’ strategy.

Personally, I think these problems should be addressed before any switch off, but politicians are notoriously blind when it comes to planning for the future. Hence, they make decisions like turning off our access to fossil fuels before sufficient green energy is available to replace it.

Similarly, following any decision made to switch off the transmitters for TV broadcasting, they will not have resolved the legitimate issues you raise.
Old 15-12-2022, 16:52   #627
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY

What I am saying is that linear channels will become much less popular with time and that broadcasters will conclude that there is no point in continuing with them as programmes are far more accessible on demand. When all broadcasting goes to IPTV, the natural conclusion broadcasters are likely to make is that this is the appropriate time to change for the future.

Lest we forget, from just over two years ago…

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1615

Quote:
Quote:
That doesn’t make sense..

‘Linear TV’ is a list of scheduled programmes, where the viewer knows in advance what is on and when/where - the fact that some programmes are transmitted live and others are pre-recorded is irrelevant; it’s the schedule/channel combo that makes them linear.

How the linear channels are delivered (DTT, cable, broadband, 5G, 6.5G, direct to the optic nerve) is irrelevant, it’s the pre-agreed schedule/channel that’s relevant.

ymmv
Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.
Old 15-12-2022, 17:35   #628
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Lest we forget, from just over two years ago…

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1615
The contradiction being? It’s just saying the same thing in a different way. Two cheeks of the same posterior.
Old 15-12-2022, 17:46   #629
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The contradiction being? It’s just saying the same thing in a different way. Two cheeks of the same posterior.

Linear TV definition

Quote:
Linear TV is a traditional system in which a viewer watches a scheduled TV program when it's broadcasted and on its original channel. The program can be recorded via DVR and watched later.
Live TV definition

Quote:
A live television or radio programme is one in which an event or performance is broadcast at exactly the same time as it happens, rather than being recorded first.
The cheeks of your aforementioned posterior appear to be spread quite widely apart…

Last edited by Hugh; 16-12-2022 at 08:08.
Old 16-12-2022, 08:53   #630
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

In case you missed it, the media is describing scheduled TV as live TV.