Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 26-05-2023, 18:42   #2101
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Ok I feel I have to make a point here

Richard clearly has issues of some sort or another. I see possible symptoms of a few mental health issues of some sort or another (sorry Richard if I am wrong but you do display symptoms) I also know he winds a number of forum members here and some of them respond with comments I personally as some who does suffer from mental health issues as seriously distasteful and sometime discriminatory.

When I first arrives here I did not know Richard and responses to some of his posts triggered me massively and put a huge chip on my shoulder which I directed here and elsewhere those who I saw to be discriminating against Richard and mental health as a whole. Almost to the point of getting banned.

I am not pointing any fingers here just saying it how I saw it and see it and I almost triggered today due to my anxiety and my feelings on the subject. Imagine how that will look to others who may be browsing or looking to join? they come and see posts like this see like I did posts that could be taken as discrimination how will they feel?

Also look at the subject and what the government are looking to do. Imagine for one minute this site gets reported and no matter how innocent the intent is misconstrued (which is very easy in text) and some sort of action is taken.

I am not asking for miracles all I am asking is if Richard (or me) winds you up understand it could be because of his (or mine) mental health. I have come a long way (imo) since I joined and I bite my tongue as it were which is very hard as part of my condition is I tend to go off on one. If I can do it so can you
Old 26-05-2023, 20:39   #2102
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post

Richard clearly has issues of some sort or another. I see possible symptoms of a few mental health issues of some sort or another (sorry Richard if I am wrong but you do display symptoms) I also know he winds a number of forum members here and some of them respond with comments I personally as some who does suffer from mental health issues as seriously distasteful and sometime discriminatory.

When I first arrives here I did not know Richard and responses to some of his posts triggered me massively and put a huge chip on my shoulder which I directed here and elsewhere those who I saw to be discriminating against Richard and mental health as a whole. Almost to the point of getting banned.

I am not pointing any fingers here just saying it how I saw it and see it and I almost triggered today due to my anxiety and my feelings on the subject. Imagine how that will look to others who may be browsing or looking to join? they come and see posts like this see like I did posts that could be taken as discrimination how will they feel?

Also look at the subject and what the government are looking to do. Imagine for one minute this site gets reported and no matter how innocent the intent is misconstrued (which is very easy in text) and some sort of action is taken.

I am not asking for miracles all I am asking is if Richard (or me) winds you up understand it could be because of his (or mine) mental health. I have come a long way (imo) since I joined and I bite my tongue as it were which is very hard as part of my condition is I tend to go off on one. If I can do it so can you
I’ve been here a long time. 20 years!

Nobody “really” knows anybody on here (apart from a small minority, of which I’m not). After being on here and interacting with posters you get to feel who is genuine and who is not.

I personally have never been 100% certain Richard is genuine, I’m 50/50 on whether he’s genuine or just obnoxious. Probably 40/60.
Old 26-05-2023, 20:42   #2103
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’ve been here a long time. 20 years!

Nobody “really” knows anybody on here (apart from a small minority, of which I’m not). After being on here and interacting with posters you get to feel who is genuine and who is not.

I personally have never been 100% certain Richard is genuine, I’m 50/50 on whether he’s genuine or just obnoxious. Probably 40/60.
Be that as it may it is not only Richard sees the responses. Any Tom Dick or Hariot can see and new members who have no idea about any history will just see it at face value
Old 27-05-2023, 01:23   #2104
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

Oh yes, I have issues of my own too after a brain injury. After losing most of my sight on top I am now spending my second night in care.

Ii always try to be kind and understanding of others and their own personal issues. I believed that this was the decent way to treat others even before my diagnoses.

You're so right, communicating via text can certainly make interaction more problematic to understand correctly, without the additional burden of having to deal with cognitive issues on top.

I acknowledge that I can certainly get hold of the wrong end of the stick too. The best we can do is be kind and supportive of each other as there are so many people who don't understand (by fault or design) the difficulties that we face,
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 02:41   #2105
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Please get back to the actual subject now, before any holes get dug too deep.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 08:50   #2106
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

Reminder! All members can use the ignore function so if you find anyone's opinions too objectionable please use it..

BTW moderators can't.
Old 27-05-2023, 09:41   #2107
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I was genuinely congratulating you because you now appear to have accepted that your conditions do affect you after all, which is contrary to what you used to claim, but you've taken it the wrong way.
I neither want or need your congratulations. Of the thousands of users this site you're the least qualified to congratulate anyone, especially myself.

Quote:
I must stress that I don't blame you personally for this.
With the greatest of respect to a wonderful former member of this site who is sadly no longer with us, DILLIGAF?

Quote:
One of the traits of those with Aspergers/autism is poor social skills which can cause those affected to get hold of the wrong end of the stick. Communicating via the written word doesn't help either.
I wasn't aware you also had Aspergers. Welcome to the club.

Quote:
You are very likely to genuinely believe what you say rather than deliberately being unpleasant. It's the fault of your learning difficulties not you.
A very small number of forum members have me on Facebook. Even though I give little away on there they know me infinitely more than you ever will.

Quote:
Take care of yourself.
Take a look at my avatar and CF profile pic. I've been looking after myself for 7 years.

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

You're being far too generous with that ratio.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 11:03   #2108
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I'll leave it up to the sites T&Cs and moderators to say what is and isn't acceptable. If something isn't accepted personally by some and no rules are broken then you just have to deal with it.
Old 27-05-2023, 11:36   #2109
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I'll leave it up to the sites T&Cs and moderators to say what is and isn't acceptable. If something isn't accepted personally by some and no rules are broken then you just have to deal with it.
Section 5

"We reserve the right to terminate any user’s membership for any reason at any time."
Old 27-05-2023, 11:42   #2110
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Section 5

"We reserve the right to terminate any user’s membership for any reason at any time."
Yep, goes both ways doesn't it.
Old 27-05-2023, 11:50   #2111
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Section 5

I believe all forums and FB group pages should have this. Their page, their rules.

I mean it would be nice if the person getting shitcanned was sent a message giving the reasons why they've had their membership removed (and think most do), but members don't own the page, they're not owed a membership.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 15:47   #2112
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Obsessive behaviour and misplaced resentment are also traits of those suffering from various conditions, including Aspergers syndrome.

If you come across this it has to be borne in mind that their distorted view of reality is completely genuine. Because they have poor social skills they are likely to be deliberately or unknowingly offensive. All I can advise is to think of it as their learning difficulty saying inappropriate & offensive things to you and not themselves.

In my experience punishment or tit for tat responses will not work and is only likely to make the situation worse.

This is relevant to the Online Safety Bill in the sense that, at first glance, they appear to be trolls who relish making unpleasent comments, to people. This can be viewed as bullying if one particular individual becomes a subject of their obsessive behaviour.

The Online Safety Bill won't be perfect. Some parts will be found to be over zealous, whilst others may need to be amended to give stronger powers.

Those who cannot help their inappropriate behaviour due to mental illness or disability do need to be stopped, but I think that the Act should contain measures to help and support them with only punitive measures being used as a last resort.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 27-05-2023 at 15:54. Reason: HGR
Old 27-05-2023, 18:13   #2113
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

That seems like one helluva "Get Out Of Jail Free" card…

I’m sure it will never be abused/misused.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 21:27   #2114
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That seems like one helluva "Get Out Of Jail Free" card…

I’m sure it will never be abused/misused.
To prevent abuse perhaps those who could come under this concession should be tequired to obtain support & confirmation from trained medical professionals??

It's a difficult one as on the one hand inappropriate behaviour on the internet must be stamped out, but it wouldn't be appropriate to punish disabled people for doing something that they cannot help or don't even realise they're doing.

Yet other people must be protected from them, who may also be disabled too.
Old 27-05-2023, 22:29   #2115
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

So I can get away with anything if I identify as disabled.

Good game this, isn’t it? This is not going to work.