Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Clear cookies on win 10

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Laptop advice - processor vs screen

Old 27-12-2022, 13:25   #1
browneggsandham
I try to help.

Services: Virgin Media VIP - 2 x V6, M350 & phone
browneggsandham is on a distinguished roadbrowneggsandham is on a distinguished road
Laptop advice - processor vs screen

Looking for a bit of hopefully pretty general advice.

I'm in the market to replace my slightly old ASUS laptop as it's seen better days, budget around £5-600 max.

Mainly used for day to day things, but also more recently for bits of work including website building and app building/running.

Looking at newer ASUS vivobook models but open to suggestions. My price point seems to be a bit of a balance between screen quality (OLED or just UHD) and processor 11th/12th gen.

Where would people recommend my focus should be? Should I sacrifice the OLED display for 12th gen i5/i7 or will the processor difference be negligible for my type of usage?
Ideally 16GB RAM and WiFi6 as I have Virgin's new HUB6 at home.

Any thoughts/recommendations/links greatly appreciated

TIA

Last edited by browneggsandham; 27-12-2022 at 13:28.
browneggsandham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2022, 13:31   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Laptop advice - processor vs screen

Surprised you can get OLEDs in the £600 price range. I personally would opt out of that in favour of better hardware
Old 27-12-2022, 14:25   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Lenovo has a good sale on at the moment. It's always best to buy direct from them.

I'd always go for a faster processor and more RAM, as even a smart screen is boring as you wait for the guts to do the computing.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/d/deals...CYoga%2CLenovo
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 16:50   #4
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Lenovo has a good sale on at the moment. It's always best to buy direct from them.

I'd always go for a faster processor and more RAM, as even a smart screen is boring as you wait for the guts to do the computing.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/d/deals...CYoga%2CLenovo
I can recommend Lenovo too and they have a link on the page Taf put for a further 10% off your first order. Also, I think the current AMD powered laptops can easily give Intel a run for their money.
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote