Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need a new Router..any ideas??

Old 27-08-2005, 23:50   #1
Morph3ous
Inactive

Morph3ous is an unknown quantity at this point
Need a new Router..any ideas??

Hi, i have recently moved house. My old house had BT Broadband, and so i had an ADSL wireless network setup with a Belkin F5D7630 ADSL modem with built in router. It was used to connect to 2 laptops and xbox live. Everything worked well.

Having moved, we now have NTL Broadband. Therefore i have found out that my ADSL modem/router is useless, as i am unable to switch off the modem side, nor does it have an ethenet up port.

I therefore need some new kit....

I currently have an NTL Home 250 Cable Modem, which is working fine connected via ethernet to my laptop.

What i want is to have a wirless network as in my old house, whilst still connecting to my xbox via ethernet.

I've seen a Linksys WCG200 which appears to be a cable modem and router in one. Does anybody have one of these? Has anybody used it with xbox live?

I've also seen the Linksys WRT54G and Netgear Netgear WGR614 which are routers only, and so i would need to keep the NTL Cable Modem. Does anybody have any of these?

Basically what i'm looking for is some advice as to what kit to buy to replace my old stuff, allowing me to connect wirelessly to my laptops and to use xbox live. (I know i have the option of eventually connecting this wirelessly)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Morph3ous.
Morph3ous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2005, 23:57   #2
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Re: Need a new Router..any ideas??

Is this any help?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 23:57   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

to CableForum.

Erm , you will find that any non NTL supplied cable modem will not work with an NTL connection. Sorry, but for the connection to work, it needs to be registered with NTL, and they will not register users modems.

You are also not allowed to plug it into the network..

I have the WRT54G, and, TBH, it's the best router I have had.

Thread moved to Computers and IT
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 23:58   #4
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Welcome to the site by the way
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 00:04   #5
Morph3ous
Inactive

Morph3ous is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the welcome guys!

I think i'll look into the WRT54G then...

Can pick one up for about £40 which isnt too bad.

Can anybody else shed some light on this router and xbox live? Any probs at all?

Thank you very much for the replies to far...

Morph3ous
Morph3ous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 00:05   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

None with mine... Had to enable Universal Plug and Play though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote