Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?
View Poll Results: Smart Meter Yae or Nae
Yes 18 43.90%
No 18 43.90%
Undecided 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-03-2024, 16:52   #136
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

You (they) seem to have a lot of faith in the private sector to not utilise the opportunity to price gouge for demand that cannot be moved around - being cold in winter - under the guise of dynamic pricing.

“Sorry folks the it wasn’t us it was the algorithm”.

Whether society at large could benefit from this is irrelevant to me anyway, I consume less than the average for electricity and gas. My usage is almost entirely inconsequential. If there’s efficiencies to be had - and presumably money to be saved - that needs to reach the pockets of end users and not shareholders.

In the absence of anything concrete they can keep threatening to pap me onto the variable tariff - which on 1st April is cheaper than my fix (until July) anyway.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2024, 18:10   #137
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You (they) seem to have a lot of faith in the private sector to not utilise the opportunity to price gouge for demand that cannot be moved around - being cold in winter - under the guise of dynamic pricing.

“Sorry folks the it wasn’t us it was the algorithm”.

Whether society at large could benefit from this is irrelevant to me anyway, I consume less than the average for electricity and gas. My usage is almost entirely inconsequential. If there’s efficiencies to be had - and presumably money to be saved - that needs to reach the pockets of end users and not shareholders.

In the absence of anything concrete they can keep threatening to pap me onto the variable tariff - which on 1st April is cheaper than my fix (until July) anyway.
No, I am with you on this. The "private" energy sector will absolutely try and roger the consumer. OFGEM is useless, in fact you might think they are actually employees of the Energy companies. The only hope is for a new Government to bring the energy sector back into public ownership and restructure it for the long term benefit of the consumers and the country. Let's see ...
Old 26-03-2024, 18:37   #138
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

So if my only hope is that a British government develop a spine against the practices of cartels in the “competitive” privatised industries I’ll hang onto my dumb meter for now.

Last edited by jfman; 26-03-2024 at 18:46.
Old 26-03-2024, 18:46   #139
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
So if my only hope is that a British government develop a spine against the practices of cartels in the “competitive” privatised I’ll hang onto my dumb meter for now.
Yet you can save a lot of money while you wait
Old 26-03-2024, 18:54   #140
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Yet you can save a lot of money while you wait
It’s a bad investment to save small change now to lose more later when fully dynamic pricing is implemented.
Old 26-03-2024, 22:43   #141
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
So if my only hope is that a British government develop a spine against the practices of cartels in the “competitive” privatised industries I’ll hang onto my dumb meter for now.
Just been reading that, if Labour win the General Election, they aren't going to relationalise the energy companies, but will create a people's energy company that puts customers first.

People would be free to choose which they want to go with.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 23:44   #142
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It’s a bad investment to save small change now to lose more later when fully dynamic pricing is implemented.
I personally do not consider £1000+ small change, YMMV
Old 27-03-2024, 07:03   #143
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I personally do not consider £1000+ small change, YMMV
Would be interested to know what subset of the population would be in a position to save that amount considering the average is £1600 per year.

Edge cases may do so. However fundamentally these poorly regulated companies have responsibilities to their shareholders.

Last edited by jfman; 27-03-2024 at 07:11.
Old 27-03-2024, 07:22   #144
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Quote:
Would be interested to know what subset of the population would be in a position to save that amount considering the average is £1600 per year.

Edge cases may do so. However fundamentally these poorly regulated companies have responsibilities to their shareholders.

£4k in my case. Large house, with very large rooms, several out buildings. I run two 33KW boilers and 4 gas fires.

Leccy was free or almost free, at the weekend or negative (except 4-7pm)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (175.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Ms NTL; 27-03-2024 at 07:30.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 10:00   #145
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Not really an edge case: 3-bed semi with Combi Gas boiler. Our savings over the last year are approx 40% so we think this is worth having.

Don't forget that Octopus do make a profit on the smart tariffs we are on.
Old 27-03-2024, 10:26   #146
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Not really an edge case: 3-bed semi with Combi Gas boiler. Our savings over the last year are approx 40% so we think this is worth having.

Don't forget that Octopus do make a profit on the smart tariffs we are on.
And how much profit would octopus make if everyone switched?
Old 27-03-2024, 10:38   #147
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Considering the ridiculous profits the energy companies make I'm sire they'll still make plenty.
Old 27-03-2024, 11:07   #148
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No idea but given that the sector should be in public ownership anyway, I don't really care. I think they (successfully) rely on most people being too scared/lazy/unaware to switch to the smart tariffs to make the point moot.
Old 27-03-2024, 11:43   #149
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Quote:
In the case of leccy is 100% profit

The formula is public

Quote:
Your unit rate calculation
The unit rate charge (in pence per kilowatt-hour) for a given half-hour period is:

min(2.1 x W + P, 95.23)
where:

2.1 is a coefficient that includes our distribution costs
W is the wholesale cost of electricity for that period (in pence per kilowatt-hour)
P has value 12.00 between 4pm and 7pm but is zero otherwise.
95.23 is chosen to ensure the price is capped at 100p/kWh once VAT is added.
I will try to find the gas formula.

Quote:
Gas unit charge: (W * 0.03604) + 1.4025 p per kWh

Last edited by Ms NTL; 27-03-2024 at 11:49.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 11:57   #150
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Just been reading that, if Labour win the General Election, they aren't going to relationalise the energy companies, but will create a people's energy company that puts customers first.

People would be free to choose which they want to go with.
The only thing they have said they will renationalise is the railways, doing so gradually by bringing railways back in-house as each contract expires.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

I think at some point we will all be forced to go 'smart' but hopefully this will be a long way off as clearly they don't work well enough to force this on every household and business across the country.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote