Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 3COM Router having issues with NTL250 modem !!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

3COM Router having issues with NTL250 modem !!

Old 28-11-2009, 17:36   #1
JSD
Inactive

JSD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JSD
Question 3COM Router having issues with NTL250 modem !!

Hello everyone, im having problems with my internet connection and im hoping that i can get it resolved on here with a little help from you guys ! I will try to give as much detail as i can, as i know more detail is preferable to less when trying to receive help. The main basis of my problem is the dreaded ready light flashing sometimes of its own accord. However its not quite that simple, as my connection setup has remained the same for the past 2 years and only this week am i having issues with it. I use the internet in 2 ways, one of them is to enjoy online PS3 gaming, the other is a simple laptop on a wireless connection. I have the 10 meg vm package, the modem is 2 years old an i believe is the ntl250 model. The router itself is the 3com office connect 3crwe52196 model. The ntl250 is connected via cable to the 3com, which in turn is wired to the ps3. The laptop is connected wirelessly. I have always had the *moderate * nat type when playing call of duty games online and never had a problem until now when i am getting the flashing ready light and of course loss of connection to the playstation network.

I actually resolved the problem last night by wiring the modem straight to the ps3 and cutting out the router altogether. For the first time, i had an open nat type( and more importantly no flashing ready light), this is the best for online gaming im told. This would lead me to believe it is a router fault and not a vm issue. My questions are these......Why am i only experiencing issues now as opposed to the last couple of years with the same setup and why would i have open nat as opposed to moderate nat when the router is the middleman?

On a side note i perhaps foolishly tried to open certain ports that were required in order for tiger woods online gameplay and i WAS able to do that successfully, however since my recent issues i deleted those changes i made and tried a factory reset of the router, all to no avail.

I apologise for a somewhat long-winded and possibly misleading post but as i do not know the specific problem, i cannot be too specific in my description if that makes sense?

To summarize...im having the flashing ready light problem during online gaming but ONLY when the router is the middleman( ps3 is wired, not wireless) and ONLY since the past week or so. Im not really tech-savvy but im pretty sure my issue is router related due to the open/moderate nat type when the router is connected/ disconnected. I have had the same setup for a couple years with no problems. Could it be that Modern Warfare 2 and its required ports etc are not agreeing with my router itself? Thanks to anyone who has read this far into my post and thanks for any help in advance, this is a great site and one i have already recommended to friends.

EDIT= i forgot to mention that i have never been able to find the *enable upnp* option on this router as that is supposed to be the best option for playstation network. upnp is disabled on my ps3 connection status list, despite me checking enable when setting up the ps3 itself. Again, im not sure why this is relevant since i have had the same setup for a while now.
JSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2009, 20:35   #2
JSD
Inactive

Re: 3COM Router having issues with NTL250 modem !!

Surely someone from the 40+ views can help me here? Do you guys need more information etc? http://www.pingtest.net/result/4599850.png
Old 29-11-2009, 00:35   #3
JSD
Inactive

wow 70 views and no replies is not what i was expecting from this forum. I have, after some research managed to come up with this.........

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 5
Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.7 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 61.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

as far as i have read, the 61 dbmv level is way too high and is basically the *edge* of where my modem will operate? is this true?

also, if my connector at the end of the line entering my modem is not *factory perfect* ( as in its one i replaced myself after damaging the previous one) would this cause the upstream of 61, if i am able to pull the coax cable out with actually unscrewing it from the modem???

please help, i was sure the guys n gals here would be more helpful than 70 views and no replies. thanks in advance,

JSD , a bewildered newbie to Cf
Old 29-11-2009, 01:17   #4
xocemp

To high upstream power, yeah.
Can a poorly fitting F-connector cause this, yeah.
Should you call VM and have this rectified, yeah.
Old 01-12-2009, 15:19   #5
JSD
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocemp View Post
To high upstream power, yeah.
Can a poorly fitting F-connector cause this, yeah.
Should you call VM and have this rectified, yeah.

Well thanks for replying. albeit sarcastically , at least you bothered to reply unlike the 150+ people who between them MUST know one or two things regarding my issues but simply could not be bothered to reply. This forum is far from what i expected, i shall be deleting my account momentarily.
Old 01-12-2009, 19:02   #6
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

Oh dear, talk about sarcasm........OP just check your posts 2 and 3, rather saracstic opening lines, I would say. Don't think you will be missed.
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 19:21   #7
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSD View Post
This forum is far from what i expected, i shall be deleting my account momentarily.
Actually, I didn't find the reply you received sarcastic at all.

By the way, momentarily suggests that your only going to delete you account for a small amount of time, not permanently........now that's pedantic sarcasm for you.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote