Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 18-09-2023, 07:28   #2656
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
He is only power due to a coup in 2014 though. It suited the West to support him at the time. Does that make him legitimate ? I dunno
Zelensky was elected in 2019. Again, the idea that the present Ukrainian government is illegitimate because of events in 2014 is a talking point actively promoted by Russia.

These sorts of things ought to be beyond question. Indeed, the OSCE monitored the 2019 election and while it had concerns about the conduct of some candidates its overall conclusion does not dispute the veracity of the final outcome.

https://www.osce.org/odihr/elections/ukraine/439574

Be careful that your healthy desire to be a free-thinker isn’t being exploited for propaganda purposes by a country presently engaged in an illegal invasion of a sovereign neighbour and widespread war crimes.

---------- Post added at 07:28 ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
While the coup didn’t directly elect Zelensky it laid the ground work.
You are Margarita Simonyan and I claim my ₽5,000,000,000.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2023, 08:08   #2657
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

So how, democratically, do the people of Ukraine remove Zelensky if they decide they’ve paid enough in blood for tens of square kilometres in the months of the counteroffensive?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:09   #2658
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
He’s banned opposition parties, trade unions and (as far as I can tell) elections. In no way, shape or form can that be considered democratic. Especially when your number one policy is to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian men by conscription.

Both of my claims have been reported in the Ukrainian press.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/21242
https://kyivindependent.com/ukraines...-mobilization/

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

Unusual interpretation of "trying to stop the Russian invaders by doing the same as the U.K. and USA did the last time they had the same existential threat"…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:10   #2659
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
So how, democratically, do the people of Ukraine remove Zelensky if they decide they’ve paid enough in blood for tens of square kilometres in the months of the counteroffensive?
You clearly favour the present occupation but why? I am curious.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:13   #2660
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Zelensky was elected in 2019. Again, the idea that the present Ukrainian government is illegitimate because of events in 2014 is a talking point actively promoted by Russia.

These sorts of things ought to be beyond question. Indeed, the OSCE monitored the 2019 election and while it had concerns about the conduct of some candidates its overall conclusion does not dispute the veracity of the final outcome.

https://www.osce.org/odihr/elections/ukraine/439574

Be careful that your healthy desire to be a free-thinker isn’t being exploited for propaganda purposes by a country presently engaged in an illegal invasion of a sovereign neighbour and widespread war crimes.

---------- Post added at 07:28 ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 ----------

You are Margarita Simonyan and I claim my ₽5,000,000,000.

I am not naïve enough to think for one second I am a free thinker. I know all about the propaganda machine but it cuts both ways, I also believe we are victims of the same propaganda but from the opposite side. We are not furnished with the whole truth in the West just not to the same extremes as those in Russia
Old 18-09-2023, 08:13   #2661
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Wow!

Why don’t you ask Ukraine if they’ve stopped beating their wife, if you’re in the mood for loaded questions?

Or to put it in your terms - "have you actually started believing your own* lies?

*may be from other sources…
Old 18-09-2023, 08:24   #2662
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Wow!

Why don’t you ask Ukraine if they’ve stopped beating their wife, if you’re in the mood for loaded questions?

Or to put it in your terms - "have you actually started believing your own* lies?

*may be from other sources…
The short answer is there’s no way to remove Zelensky. Except by a bullet.

That’s not a democracy and you know it. That answer would be sufficient.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:24   #2663
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The short answer is there’s no way to remove Zelensky. Except by a bullet.

That’s not a democracy and you know it. That answer would be sufficient.
Much like the U.K. during WW2, then…

Zelensky didn’t ban the opposition. He banned pro-Russian polical parties after Russia invaded Ukraine (wonder why…).

All toghether thiose parties accounted for 49 of the 450 seats in Ukrainian parliament, or aproximatelly 11%.

Calling this “ban opposition political parties” is just another narrative from Russian propaganda.

Last edited by Hugh; 18-09-2023 at 08:29.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:25   #2664
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You clearly favour the present occupation but why? I am curious.
Where do I say I favour the present occupation? You’re taking my legitimate questions and portraying them as representing something they don’t.

It’s a straightforward question that - in a true democracy - would be easy to answer.

Ironically the safest place for a Ukrainian man who doesn’t want to die on the front line is Russia.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:30   #2665
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Probably not - he’d be conscripted…

You are constantly overlooking the existential threat the war has on Ukraine.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:30   #2666
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Much like the U.K. during WW2, then…
I don’t recall the UK banning opposition parties that actually sat in the House of Commons.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:31   #2667
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I don’t recall the UK banning opposition parties that actually sat in the House of Commons.
I recall them banning pro-Fascist parties.

In Britain in 1940 we did the same thing it was called Regulation 18B of the Defence (General) Regulations 1939.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:33   #2668
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I recall them banning pro-Fascist parties.
But not ones that sat in the House of Commons - you know the ones that could call for a vote of no confidence and push out the PM.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:38   #2669
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Where do I say I favour the present occupation? You’re taking my legitimate questions and portraying them as representing something they don’t.

It’s a straightforward question that - in a true democracy - would be easy to answer.

Ironically the safest place for a Ukrainian man who doesn’t want to die on the front line is Russia.
You are assuming that the Ukrainians, as a nation, are being forced against their will to defend their homes, children, etc. This is not true.

The reason you favour the present occupation is that you criticise the defence against it. You can't have it both ways: either they defend themselves or they allow the current invasion to stand. There is no third way here
Old 18-09-2023, 08:40   #2670
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You are assuming that the Ukrainians, as a nation, are being forced against their will to defend their homes, children, etc. This is not true.
I mean that’s literally the definition of conscription.

Quote:
The reason you favour the present occupation is that you criticise the defence against it. You can't have it both ways: either they defend themselves or they allow the current invasion to stand. There is no third way here
Let the ones that don’t want to fight flee to the west then arm everyone who remains to the teeth then.