Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DNS servers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

DNS servers

Old 28-07-2005, 14:58   #1
zing_deleted

DNS servers

Right im with uk online and its not working,traced it myself as there useless to a dns problem. Ive tried a wanadoo dns address I found with google but this only gives 3.5 meg for now. Anyone know of one that could give me 5 +

background tp problem http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=32620
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2005, 15:02   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: DNS servers

How does the DNS affect your overall download speed? All the DNS does is reveal the 'true' location of the webpage you're looking for. It might impact on the delay between hitting enter and seeing your page start to load, but I wouldn't have expected it to impact the download speed after that. Unless I've totally misunderstood what DNS does ... (which I admit is quite possible) ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 15:11   #3
zing_deleted

Basically I was getting nothing today no browsing,it was fine yesterday but today nothing .
I called ukonline and they are less than useless,so I researched myself and found a couple of DNS server address which I tried and low and behold I got browsing.But its only downloading at 3.5 meg when my connection works upto 5+ meg.
My understanding on DNS and internet networking etc is not a lot but I kept on looking
Old 28-07-2005, 15:12   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
How does the DNS affect your overall download speed? All the DNS does is reveal the 'true' location of the webpage you're looking for. It might impact on the delay between hitting enter and seeing your page start to load, but I wouldn't have expected it to impact the download speed after that. Unless I've totally misunderstood what DNS does ... (which I admit is quite possible) ...
I did wonder that as well - DNS is just a translator/lookup.

I have a 'public' BT server set as my backup DNS server at home - if you're really keen to find another one, I'll try and post it when I get home.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 15:13   #5
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
Basically I was getting nothing today no browsing,it was fine yesterday but today nothing .
I called ukonline and they are less than useless,so I researched myself and found a couple of DNS server address which I tried and low and behold I got browsing.But its only downloading at 3.5 meg when my connection works upto 5+ meg.
My understanding on DNS and internet networking etc is not a lot but I kept on looking
Your DNS settings have got absolutely nothing to do with your download speed, it's used to resolving names to IP addresses.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 15:14   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
My guess (and it is a guess) would be that UKonline are having major problems that have b0rked their own DNS entirely, and this is somehow having a knock-on effect on other traffic on their network that is reducing the bandwidth available to you. Do you know whether UKOnline force you through transparent proxy cache servers a la NTL?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 15:17   #7
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

If their DNS or transparent proxy is down you could lose browsing - but that would not affect your download speed. Maybe there is a problem on the UK Online network - hence no DNS. Other networking issues 'could' affect your download speeds - eg virus/worm/DDOS clagging up their routers?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 15:42   #8
zing_deleted

ok update

called ukonline (For some reason there dns wasnt auto setting ,) and they gave me alternate DNS addresses and they work fine(tried to avoid calling them as ive spent so much time on hold)

What I do find really strange is Wanadoo DNS address gave me a download speed of 3.5 meg off giganews
When I inputted ukonlines the same source gave me 5 meg strange really as you have all said that cant happen

Thanks for all your input