Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PIN and On Demand

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

PIN and On Demand

Old 20-11-2018, 16:24   #1
Meng
cf.member

Meng is an unknown quantity at this point
PIN and On Demand

I have my Parental Controls 'Request a PIN to Watch Recordings' set to OFF.

So why is it when I try to watch an On Demand programme before 9 (or 10) PM I am asked for my PIN? It's very irritating. Is it a bug or some ridiculous contractual thing?
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-11-2018, 16:42   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: PIN and On Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
I have my Parental Controls 'Request a PIN to Watch Recordings' set to OFF.

So why is it when I try to watch an On Demand programme before 9 (or 10) PM I am asked for my PIN? It's very irritating. Is it a bug or some ridiculous contractual thing?
I believe that's just theregulatory world the broadcasters have to work within to ensure they can show more adult material during the day.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 23:29   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

OFCOM's rules:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-an...nder-eighteens
Old 20-11-2018, 23:43   #4
Meng
cf.member

Meng is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 22:48   #5
royston p
cf.member

royston p is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just about to post a query about the same subject, and found this thread started by Meng. I also have that option set to ‘OFF’ yet I’m still being asked for my PIN on various channels! I followed BenMcr’s link, but could not find regulations regarding PINs.

I must ask however; What is the purpose of having that option if it’s not of any use?!

Thanks for any replies.

Roy P
royston p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:16   #6
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

[Meaning of "mandatory restricted access"
Mandatory restricted access means there is a PIN protected system (or other equivalent protection) which cannot be removed by the user, that restricts access solely to those authorised to view.]

[Meaning of "mandatory daytime protection"
Mandatory daytime protection means there is a PIN protection system in place pre-2100 and post-0530 which cannot be removed by the user and restricts access solely to those authorised to view. This does not apply to ‘adult sex material’ which under Rule 1.18 can only be shown between 2200 and 0530 and must be behind mandatory restricted access (see Rule 1.18).]
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:53   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by royston p View Post
I was just about to post a query about the same subject, and found this thread started by Meng. I also have that option set to ‘OFF’ yet I’m still being asked for my PIN on various channels! I followed BenMcr’s link, but could not find regulations regarding PINs.

I must ask however; What is the purpose of having that option if it’s not of any use?!

Thanks for any replies.

Roy P
The channels you get it on will be Sky Comedy, Sky Documentaries and Sky Cinema.

Sky Cinema have had it for years to allow for higher age rated content to be shown during the day.

Now for Sky Comedy and Sky Documentaries, Sky have taken advantage of updated rules from OFCOM that allow non-premium or adult channels to show content outside of it's usual watershed hours in return for the channels being behind PIN protection.

So the trade off is either you only get U and PG content during the day - which used to be all the 'made for TV' movies that Sky showed in the days before they had PIN protection on Sky Movies.

Or you have content that's rated 12,15 or 18 shown during the day, but needs a PIN to access.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:07   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by royston p View Post
The option is to "Request a PIN to Watch Recordings". It doesn't affect what happens when you watch live TV, which as others have said, is mandated by Ofcom.

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote