Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Plane Spotters Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Plane Spotters Corner

Old 24-03-2021, 23:14   #1261
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Plane Spotters Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Or was it an attempt to sell them to the RN?
Quite possibly. Their mission availability problems are in part due to the low numbers of them in use. Fewer spares, higher cost. If the British military bought significant numbers of them it would make life easier for the US. I guess it’s still very early days for the QE carriers so plenty of time for the RN to decide if they want to ask the MOD to buy some. But I suspect that metaphorical ship has sailed - AEW is the sort of thing that drones ought to be able to do and when the navy is ready to consider swapping out their helicopters for drones I think they will find it possible to install a system capable of launching and retrieving them from their carriers.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2021, 23:46   #1262
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Quite possibly. Their mission availability problems are in part due to the low numbers of them in use. Fewer spares, higher cost. If the British military bought significant numbers of them it would make life easier for the US. I guess it’s still very early days for the QE carriers so plenty of time for the RN to decide if they want to ask the MOD to buy some. But I suspect that metaphorical ship has sailed - AEW is the sort of thing that drones ought to be able to do and when the navy is ready to consider swapping out their helicopters for drones I think they will find it possible to install a system capable of launching and retrieving them from their carriers.
Agreed. I think the RN will just continue to depoy forces (we have so few now) via helicopter where neccessary.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 14:30   #1263
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Well would you believe it ... two Ospreys in close formation, flying very low and heading north, right over my house. So low I didn't hear them until I saw them, so no time to grab my camera unfortunately.
Old 06-04-2021, 20:55   #1264
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Well would you believe it ... two Ospreys in close formation, flying very low and heading north, right over my house. So low I didn't hear them until I saw them, so no time to grab my camera unfortunately.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...f5umCVyG-yr54w

Quote:
Royal Marines rely on the Merlin Mk4 to carry 24 commandos into battle at a time (based a short distance from Portland at RNAS Yeovilton with 845 and 846 Naval Air Squadrons).

The Osprey has a similar capacity (at a push you can squeeze an extra eight troops in the cabin), but can fly higher, further, faster than a helicopter, plus thanks to its tiltrotor design, can land in and take-off from the tight spots.

It flew into Dorset from RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, making use of the HeliOperations training facility in Portland – which occupies part of the old HMS Osprey site – as a lily pad (support/refuelling etc) while working with Mounts Bay.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 23:46   #1265
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Someone should tell the USMC they’re about 500 miles off course. They spent about an hour going up and down Loch Lomond this afternoon, at an altitude of around 100 metres, presumably wondering why they couldn’t find a ship to land on.
Old 23-04-2021, 11:07   #1266
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
A US military helicopter has destroyed a hospital's helipad - stopping air ambulances with critically ill patients from landing.

The £50m USAF Boeing Osprey helicopter - which features tilt rotors - had landed at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, on Wednesday during a training exercise.

Dramatic footage filmed on Wednesday shows the huge Bell Boeing CV22B Osprey coming in to land on the helipad.

The USAF plane rested on the ground for a few moments, before getting ready to take off again.

But just as it began to leave the helipad, the whole structure was torn apart, seemingly by the force of the helicopter's propellors - with huge chunks of debris flying into the air.

It has left the helipad unuseable - with air ambulance patients now having to be dropped off at Cambridge City Airport, three miles away, and transferred to the hospital by ambulance.
Full story, video and stills on link above.
Old 23-04-2021, 22:03   #1267
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Gloster Meteor, Southport Airshow 2012.

My pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meteor 1.jpg (115.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Meteor 2.jpg (149.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Meteor 3.jpg (131.8 KB, 5 views)
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 22:45   #1268
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Full story, video and stills on link above.
Bit of an exaggeration. If it takes longer than a few hours to lay that carpeting back down there's something wrong.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 12:52   #1269
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Bit of an exaggeration. If it takes longer than a few hours to lay that carpeting back down there's something wrong.

It can take days for several reasons. (based on my 15 years in aviation and some understanding of how slow the cogs move)

1. They will need to clear the ground and ensure all previous material is removed, including the tie downs.

2. They will need to check and replace the stuff blown away

3. There could be a lead time for the material

4. They will need to lay and tie down the new pad.

5. It will need to be tested and certified (this step alone could take a few days)
Old 24-04-2021, 13:41   #1270
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Yup - FOD can be sub-optimal.
Old 26-04-2021, 13:47   #1271
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have seen an engine blade from a BAe-146-300 that was involved in a bird strike.

The blade had a 2/3 mm dent, this required that blade and the one directly opposite as they are balanced.

If a small bird did that damage you can guess what metal can do.
Old 27-04-2021, 21:10   #1272
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I have seen an engine blade from a BAe-146-300 that was involved in a bird strike.

The blade had a 2/3 mm dent, this required that blade and the one directly opposite as they are balanced.

If a small bird did that damage you can guess what metal can do.
I was on the apron at Leeds Bradford many years ago when a Hawk did an emergency landing after a bird strike. The instructor looked completed unflustered while the young lad he was training was pretty pale and looked like he could do with a change of underwear. There was a very strong KFC type smell coming from the aircraft.
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:48   #1273
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Activity increasing down here in advance of the G7 get together next week.

A little while ago a USAF C17 flew over and landed in Newquay from Mannheim.

Then just now a trio of Hercules from US Navy and USAF went over headed East.
Old 05-06-2021, 00:17   #1274
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

I wonder if the C17 had “The Beast" in it?
Old 05-06-2021, 10:25   #1275
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

No, he lives in Florida now.