Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | British culture

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

British culture

Old 24-04-2021, 10:35   #91
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: British culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I think it's a diversion that could be addressed in another thread.
I started the thread and haven't made any diversion from what my first post stated.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2021, 10:37   #92
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm not basing my postulation on immigration. I start with those that are here and their birth rate.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...e-times-census

Selective quote:

Erm, 2nd generation immigrants are "already here" - that was the main point of the post, that the birth rate of the children of families who are already here reduces.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 14:17   #93
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No, it’s not really about British culture, as the obsession with Muslim birth rates demonstrates.

Where we are today *is* British culture. Our culture is generated by, and expressed in, the sum total of everything we all believe and value and how we act on that belief. Likewise, where they were in 1945 *was* British culture. That was different, because societal attitudes were different, for a whole host of reasons including the recent war but also the country’s demographics. Where we are in 2100 *will be* British culture, because the sum total of beliefs and values of all British people at that time, and all the actions actions based on them, is what will generate and express that culture.

Culture is never static, and can never be so. It is always changing, as its component influences are always changing. That is why attempting to talk of a culture being “submerged” by the birth rate of one particular ethnic or religious group, both entirely misunderstands what culture is and how it is generated, and is also just a teeny bit racist.
Old 24-04-2021, 15:49   #94
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I'll remind you of what I said in my first post:

Quote:
My main contention is that our culture is under threat from other cultures, particularly any that are intransigent and antithetic to the Judeo-Christian element of our culture.

Incidentally, it may be interesting to boil British culture down to a common denominator. I've mentioned Judeo-Christian which could be argued taking atheism into account. In a liberal society, culture evolves with experience and possibly brainwashing (see woke-ism for details); I doubt that's the case with certain other cultures.
A vibrant evolving culture along the lines suggested by Chris is one thing; eventual domination by a culture that achieves a governing majority (if that happens) is quite another.

And calling me racist, to whatever degree, is disgraceful.

Old 24-04-2021, 16:15   #95
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

A vibrant evolving culture along the lines suggested by Chris is one thing; eventual domination by a culture that achieves a governing majority (if that happens) is quite another.

Dave and Stormzy told us last year at the Brits that everyone is racist
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 16:52   #96
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Well, continually posting things along the "Replacement Theory" lines, people will assume the "Duck Theory" applies...

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Dave and Stormzy told us last year at the Brits that everyone is racist
He didn't....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...racism-comment
Quote:
Stormzy has hit out at media outlets he accused of “intentionally spinning my words for some click bait” after comments he made in an interview about racism in the UK were misrepresented by various publications.

The grime artist gave an interview to the Italian newspaper La Repubblica last week in which he was asked if Britain was still racist, to which he replied: “definitely, 100%” even if such racism was “hidden”.

The quote was used in headlines and articles by outlets including ITV and several news websites to suggest that Stormzy had said the UK was 100% racist, rather than that he 100% believed there was racism in the country.

ITV apologised for the way it had covered the story, saying that while it had included Stormzy’s full response to the question on their website, its headline and a tweet about the story misrepresented what he had said.

“On Saturday we reported on an interview by an Italian newspaper with the British rapper Stormzy in which the subject of racism was discussed,” tweeted ITV news.

“[His] response was reproduced in full on our website. Despite this, it was felt the headline at the top of this story on our website and Twitter post did not reflect these comments fully and was therefore amended. The tweet regarding the quotes was also later removed. We would like to apologise to Stormzy for any misunderstanding.”
Old 24-04-2021, 17:01   #97
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, continually posting things along the "Replacement Theory" lines, people will assume the "Duck Theory" applies...
Only the stupid would do that. It would be preferable to properly engage on the point I'm making rather than play the race card and provide woke interpretations of culture.

Trouble is that the usual gang (apart from Carth - once) won't touch this topic for fear of the virtue bashing I'm suffering.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerning, you can close my thread.

Old 24-04-2021, 17:37   #98
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It’s not “your” thread, and you’re not a moderator, so please lay off the bold instructions.

You’ve raised points others might wish to discuss, or rebut, and there has been no misbehaviour that warrants thread closure.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 18:04   #99
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Only the stupid would do that. It would be preferable to properly engage on the point I'm making rather than play the race card and provide woke interpretations of culture.

Trouble is that the usual gang (apart from Carth - once) won't touch this topic for fear of the virtue bashing I'm suffering.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerning, you can close my thread.
Rebutting your points isn’t "playing the race card and providing woke interpretations of culture".

The fact that you have to resort to "ad hominem" attacks on those who disagree with you illustrates the weakness of your proposition.
Old 24-04-2021, 18:42   #100
Sephiroth
Simples

Bullying me is a poor show on your part. I offered a suggestion and you jumped on me.

Accusing me of being racist is playing the race card.

You still haven't addressed my suggestion that Islam is a culture at odds with British culture.

Old 24-04-2021, 18:58   #101
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Disagreement isn’t bullying - you appear to be trying to play the "victim card".

You stated earlier
Quote:
You don’t seem to have considered the option that people might not agree with your proposal?

You don’t seem to understand that Islam isn’t a culture, but is a religion that has many cultures, and branches (Sunni, Shi'a, Ibadi, Ahmadiyya, and Sufism) within it.

Indonesian Muslims are culturally different from Middle Eastern Muslims, who are different from African Muslims, who are different from American Muslims.

Saying "Islam is one culture" makes as much sense as saying "Christians all think the same way".

Also, thinking that Sunnis, Shias, and Sufis would all think the same way and work as a monolithic entity when voting is easily disproven when you see the internecine strife in the Middle East.

So, demographics have shown your fear of being ‘submerged’ isn’t based on actuality, and I have explained why trying to lump Islam as a single culture isn’t based on observable evidence.

Hope this helps...
Old 24-04-2021, 19:04   #102
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

You still haven't addressed my suggestion that Islam is a culture at odds with British culture.
If you don't mind, could I have a crack at this one?

I lived in Leicester for 6 years. It has a comparably high percentage of Muslims living there. At no point was I made to feel their way of life was at odds with my culture (as I define it), with the UK or anything like it.

What I think you're referring to is extremist or fundamental Islam. That's definitely against our culture but then again extremist anything is at odds with our culture.

I don't have the figures to hand but from my experience of living in Leicester as well as a few more years living in the Welsh capital (which also has a lot of Muslims) I'm pretty certain the vast majority aren't fundamental or extremists.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 19:11   #103
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

One big difference between Christianity and Islam is the primary teachings of Jesus is you love God and then you love your neighbour as yourself. So a Christian should show love to everyone no matter what their religion (most do not but it is still Christs law ). In Islam the teachings for those who do not follow Islam certainly is not loving.

Having an issue with Islam is not racist anyway as you said Hugh there are Muslims all around the world, it is Xenophobic but not racist
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 19:50   #104
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Disagreement isn’t bullying - you appear to be trying to play the "victim card".

You stated earlier

You don’t seem to have considered the option that people might not agree with your proposal?

You don’t seem to understand that Islam isn’t a culture, but is a religion that has many cultures, and branches (Sunni, Shi'a, Ibadi, Ahmadiyya, and Sufism) within it.

Indonesian Muslims are culturally different from Middle Eastern Muslims, who are different from African Muslims, who are different from American Muslims.

Saying "Islam is one culture" makes as much sense as saying "Christians all think the same way".

Also, thinking that Sunnis, Shias, and Sufis would all think the same way and work as a monolithic entity when voting is easily disproven when you see the internecine strife in the Middle East.

So, demographics have shown your fear of being ‘submerged’ isn’t based on actuality, and I have explained why trying to lump Islam as a single culture isn’t based on observable evidence.

Hope this helps...