Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | House phone goes to answer phone after 4 rings.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

House phone goes to answer phone after 4 rings.

Old 25-08-2020, 02:45   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
House phone goes to answer phone after 4 rings.

Hi all,

Anyway to change the number of rings because it goes to answer phone? Used to be 6 rings if i remember and now its 4 rings. My mum is nearly 70 and shes trying to do a linford christie from the lounge to the hall to get it!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2020, 03:28   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: house phone goes to answer phone after 4 rings..

Would that not be a setting on the phone?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 13:16   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Would that not be a setting on the phone?
I assume he means it goes to the VM voicemail.
https://store.virginmedia.com/conten...er%20Guide.pdf says:
"Your phone will ring 10 times before diverting to voicemail. You can reduce the number of rings. Just give us a call to set this up."

If she really does have an answering machine, then it would be the setting on that.

Personally I'm amazed that anyone still has the phone in the hall
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 13:36   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
"Your phone will ring 10 times before diverting to voicemail. You can reduce the number of rings. Just give us a call to set this up."

If she really does have an answering machine, then it would be the setting on that.

I think people did/do that for privacy.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 23:39   #5
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

aye i did mean the virgin media voicemail! we've always had it in the hall. I've checked for wireless landline phones but they all seem like over a hundred quid so i've never thought it was worth it considering we only get like 1 call every few days...but i suppose i better had as it'll help my mum out in the long run!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 23:55   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I've checked for wireless landline phones but they all seem like over a hundred quid
£14.99
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8194657
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 01:06   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: House phone goes to answer phone after 4 rings.

It's a shame you have to phone up VM to change the number of rings. I agree, it does seem less rings these days.

Even though we've got an answer machine built-in the voicemail picks it up virtually every time it rings long enough not to be picked up. The answer machine hardly gets used as a result.

Don't know where you were getting the £100+ figure from Vince they start at the level of the one spiderplant mentions and on average are between £25-£55 for the fancier ones. You often get multiple handsets for that kind of money too. I'm not saying you can't spend £100, it's just not typical.

I recommend one with a call blocker. There are different levels of sophistication, but most work by letting through everyone you add to the phone list and acting as an intermediary for everyone else, the person leaves their name and asks you if you want to let them speak to you. That gets rid of most of the spam calls. The line needs Caller ID for these systems to work though.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 09:40   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
It's a shame you have to phone up VM to change the number of rings. I agree, it does seem less rings these days.

Even though we've got an answer machine built-in the voicemail picks it up virtually every time it rings long enough not to be picked up. The answer machine hardly gets used as a result.

Don't know where you were getting the £100+ figure from Vince they start at the level of the one spiderplant mentions and on average are between £25-£55 for the fancier ones. You often get multiple handsets for that kind of money too. I'm not saying you can't spend £100, it's just not typical.

I recommend one with a call blocker. There are different levels of sophistication, but most work by letting through everyone you add to the phone list and acting as an intermediary for everyone else, the person leaves their name and asks you if you want to let them speak to you. That gets rid of most of the spam calls. The line needs Caller ID for these systems to work though.
If you have a phone with built in answerphone why use Virgins? Just cancel it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 10:00   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If you have a phone with built in answerphone why use Virgins? Just cancel it.
Because if you are on the phone already others can leave a message. And certain people (who shall remain nameless ) are on the phone for ages at a time.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote