Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2021, 13:53   #1486
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
That's certainly going to be part of the reasoning.

The old STV HD EPG slot (113) is empty in Scotland on VM, so that could be used for something. I was surprised when they didn't use it for BBC Alba and moved it to the ITVBe+1 slot here instead, but maybe they foresaw a need when BBC3 returned so didn't put it on a lower number.
That’s a good shout though eventually the ITV HD slot may become vacant going forward in the rest of the regions.

I read that ofcom have given EPG operators 18 months to move it (BBC Three) to a top slot so it may launch further down the guide.
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2021, 14:09   #1487
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
That’s a good shout though eventually the ITV HD slot may become vacant going forward in the rest of the regions.

I read that ofcom have given EPG operators 18 months to move it (BBC Three) to a top slot so it may launch further down the guide.
Are they currently keeping 113 for overlapping ITV HD Regions, as I thought all the ITV regions that are needed on VM have already got an HD version on the network?
Old 16-09-2021, 15:56   #1488
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

News UK (owned by Rupert Murdoch) have announced that plans have been rebooted to launch a new news channel on all platforms and online early next year.

Talk TV

It has already announced that Piers Morgan has been signed up as a presenter.

https://www.news.co.uk/2021/09/news-...hannel-talktv/

https://www.news.co.uk/2021/09/piers...n-global-deal/
Old 16-09-2021, 16:55   #1489
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
RXTV says BBC One English HD regions HD may launch as early as October 21th.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/bbc-one-hd...art-imminently

Rumours says that BBC ALBA HD and BBC Parliament HD may launch on BBC iPlayer (and due to BBC new Sky deal they may launch on Virgin Media).
That site is also reporting the BBC ALBA HD and BBC Parliament HD story.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/hd-stream-...bbc-parliament

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Quote:
Are they currently keeping 113 for overlapping ITV HD Regions, as I thought all the ITV regions that are needed on VM have already got an HD version on the network?
Overlapping ITV regions use 870 and 871. 113 is used for the SD versions, only STV dropped the SD slot.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

Quote:
News UK (owned by Rupert Murdoch) have announced that plans have been rebooted to launch a new news channel on all platforms and online early next year.

Talk TV

There goes the last remaining viewer of GB News.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:59   #1490
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

Interesting to read the Ofcom ruling on BBC Three relaunch it is proposed that it takes channel 108 on Virgin Media in England and Northern Ireland whereas in Scotland and Wales it would take Ch. 124

I am sure UKTV will be well miffed at that having their flagship GOLD Channel shunted just for BBC Three

The info is here on Page 5 (Well 7 of the PDF)

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...-bbc-three.pdf

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
[/COLOR]
They could always have their EPG slots when they are done with them
Old 16-09-2021, 19:25   #1491
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

If Channel 4 deal is up before the end of the year I can see E4 being drop on Channel 106.

With BBC Three HD getting channel 106 from launch.

or BBC Three HD launch on Channel 107.
BBC Four HD moving to Channel 108.
and BBC Scotland HD and Channel 4 Wales* moving to channel 113.

I think ITV Wales HD is on Virgin Wales Channel 103.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 16-09-2021 at 19:29.
Old 16-09-2021, 19:55   #1492
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

The MTV Channels have all had a EPG logo and onscreen refresh

On MTV Live HD the onscreen DOG simply says MTV Live

Before it said MTV Live HD

It is still in HD
Old 16-09-2021, 20:07   #1493
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

It is still in HD
Saw the new MTV look this morning.

The HD bit has only the EPG for some months now...

Ofcom says that MTV Live HD is soon to be called MTV Live - no news on if ViacomCBS is set to move MTV Live to an SD Stream.

Digital Bit Rate says MTV Live HD is broadcasting on SID 1604 - An HD Stream.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 16-09-2021 at 20:11.
Old 16-09-2021, 20:33   #1494
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
If Channel 4 deal is up before the end of the year I can see E4 being drop on Channel 106.

My guess is that BBC1 HD would move to 101 with 108 kept free until the now expected relaunch of BBC Three.
Old 16-09-2021, 21:31   #1495
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Yes it is . BBC 1 Wales hd 101 ,BBC 2 Wales HD 102 ltv 1 hd 103 , S4C HD 104 . Getting bored now
Old 16-09-2021, 21:52   #1496
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Disney are also holding a ‘Disney+ Day’ on the streamer’s 2nd anniversary (12th November). This will showcase news, trailers and new originals for Disney+ going forward.
Didn't know that one, thanks.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Quote:

Talk TV

I say Meghan Markle should be his first guest.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Quote:
Saw the new MTV look this morning.

The HD bit has only the EPG for some months now...

Ofcom says that MTV Live HD is soon to be called MTV Live - no news on if ViacomCBS is set to move MTV Live to an SD Stream.

Digital Bit Rate says MTV Live HD is broadcasting on SID 1604 - An HD Stream.
About time Viacom does some consolidation of its many channels in the UK.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Quote:

I think you're probably right there MB. I wish VM would just put Sky One(or whatever its called now) on 106 with BBC 3 and 4 coming afterwards.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
That site is also reporting the BBC ALBA HD and BBC Parliament HD story.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/hd-stream-...bbc-parliament

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Overlapping ITV regions use 870 and 871. 113 is used for the SD versions, only STV dropped the SD slot.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

Thanks for posting that info about BBC Parliament, didn't see that. Would love to see that in HD.
Old 16-09-2021, 22:51   #1497
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Channel 4 has to be within the Top 8 EPG positions according to the OFCOM rules brought into effect at the beginning of this year, so your suggestion can't happen. That's why Sky Atlantic isn't on 108 on Sky in Wales.
Old 17-09-2021, 01:14   #1498
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

VM's CEO has confirmed their IPTV service will launch by the end of the year.

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...9-16/?rpc=401&

Interesting timing with Sky over IP expected to be officially launched in the next few weeks.
Old 17-09-2021, 02:22   #1499
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
I found it out a wee while back, omnidirectional and TIGHazard posted about it on a couple of threads on Digital Spy back on the 6th September. I didn't have any more at the time so didn't post here.

Their source was the same as the one RXTVlog later gave in their article.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules
(The data shown on screen varies according to the device and orientation you view it on.)

Apparently this source was accurate about BBC Scotland channel launching before it was announced, so it can't be disregarded offhand as a glitch on the BBC website, but I did read it has got a date wrong once regards a different service (I forget which) launching, though it did launch. The BBC Scotland launch was more recent and the date was correct, so coupled with the recent BBC-Sky deal I mentioned on the Local TV thread last night, I think it's fairly likely to happen. Just my opinion though.

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

I just checked that BBC Schedule website again, since I noticed BBC Parliament HD and BBC Alba HD are listed there now, and they too have the 21st as the start.

Exact wording is "Broadcast schedule begins on Thursday 21 October 2021".
The story is also now on my blog

Was my info right?

If not PM me and I will update my blog when I can.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...-channels.html
Old 17-09-2021, 07:26   #1500
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Dropping HD from the DOG doesn't mean they will not stay in HD. Sky dropped HD from their DOGs a couple of years back.

Quote:

It is still in HD
Closed Thread