Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless woes

Old 28-07-2005, 23:46   #1
Photek
Inactive

Photek is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Photek Send a message via Yahoo to Photek
Wireless woes

Decided to upgrade from an old Actiontec Wireless B setup to a nice new Linksys @Home Wireless G setup.

Installed the router with no problems (connected to PC via 15m of CAT5) and then installed the adapter without hitch.

The network connections icon shows that the wireless network is connected but there doesn't seem to be any activity and no IP addresses are being picked up by the pc once I remove the CAT5.

I can however use my Dell Axim X30 to pick up the wireless network and surf ok.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot the wireless connection to my PC? Time is of the essence as the Missus isn't going to be happy with 15m of CAT5 curling across the flat
Photek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2005, 23:52   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless woes

Ok, some things to check.

Check that the wireless device on the PC is enabled (right click and select properties).
Check that it is set to obtain an IP address automatically.
Check that you don't have any firewalls running which could be interfering with the connection.
Check that your wireless device is actually connecting to the network correctly, do you need to tell your network connection on the PC what the WEP key for the router is? Has it locked on to the correct wireless signal?
Have you set the router to act as a DHCP server for the other devices? If not you may need to change this setting or specify an IP address for the PC.
Have you set up any MAC filtering options on the router which could be causing it to refuse the connection/traffic from the PC?

Just some things for you to start with, doing a quick reboot probably wouldn't hurt either - just to make sure that everything is initialised properly.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 08:58   #3
Photek
Inactive

Photek is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Photek Send a message via Yahoo to Photek
Re: Wireless woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Ok, some things to check.

Check that the wireless device on the PC is enabled (right click and select properties).
Enabled and operating correctly.
Check that it is set to obtain an IP address automatically.
DHCP allocation option?
Check that you don't have any firewalls running which could be interfering with the connection.
Good point - I had ensured that the programs associated with the router and adapter were on the allowed list but will disable F-Secure entirely and try that
Check that your wireless device is actually connecting to the network correctly, do you need to tell your network connection on the PC what the WEP key for the router is? Has it locked on to the correct wireless signal?
Hadn't set up WEP or any other encryption and the channel/ssid properties were identical for both the router and adapter - both in infrastructure mode rather than ad-hoc
Have you set the router to act as a DHCP server for the other devices? If not you may need to change this setting or specify an IP address for the PC.
Have you set up any MAC filtering options on the router which could be causing it to refuse the connection/traffic from the PC?
Again MAC filtering was a more advanced option that I was looking to set later on

Just some things for you to start with, doing a quick reboot probably wouldn't hurt either - just to make sure that everything is initialised properly.
Done a couple of reboots for good measure. What i'm finding odd is that the status screen on the PC shows that the connection between router and adapter is good, just that the router can't "see" the internet. I can use other wireless devices (e.g my Axim X30) to hook up to the access point and surf - there's also an Xbox hung of the ethernet port on the router and this can see the internet ok too.
Photek is offline   Reply With Quote