Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | vpn setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

vpn setup

Old 01-09-2010, 16:30   #1
HJBbradders
Inactive

HJBbradders is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool vpn setup

Hi,

I seem to be one of the growing number of Virgin users who have good email connection using a Dlink DIR-615 wireless router, ver 1.00VM, but no vpn connection. I can get a vpn connection with a Netgear router and, as a number of Virgin users use a Netgear router, it can't be a policy issue.

I have downloaded the 2 Dlink files that I need to flash the router. I have also downloaded the User manual for the DIR-615.

However, when I read the manual, I find out that I have to configure the router, at its simplest, using the Setup Wizard. However, even that seems to be quite complicated: I need to enter MAC addresses, Static or Dynamic addresses, PPPoE or PPTP, L2TP, etc. All very complicated. If I just use the two downloaded files, can I forget about all the above? If I backup the current, pre-flashed router settings, can I import them into the flashed router to save me a lot of effort?

If, in the end, heaven forbid, I have to buy a new router, which one would anyone suggest?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Percy
HJBbradders is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2010, 17:35   #2
cdaly985

Services: XL Broadband 20Mb XL TV w/ Skysports & Movies 3 Extra Boxes & 1 V+HD XL Phone
Re: vpn setup

Hey,

If i were you i would not flash dd-wrt to your router if your an amateur,
I regularly hack my devices, iphone, psp, etc etc, and flashing my router seemed easy, however when it was flashed the range level significantly dropped compared to the virgin firmware, boosting the power levels and changing wireless channels didnt help so i reverted back to the original vm firmware, which now is right as rain!

So i know it may seem a good to put VPN on your router, however it dosent look like your very experienced at this and so i suggest you find another way around putting VPN on, say buy a different router with vpn built-in.
Old 01-09-2010, 17:35   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Are you trying to get an incoming VPN or outgoing VPN? Is the VPN point supposed to be to the router, or to a computer on the network?

Every time I've encountered VPN and Netgear routers, even those specifically branded as VPN compatible, I've failed.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 17:40   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I use software which I just run then access the website, without issue I don't know if I can name it so I won't but can PM it if I can't say.

I've watch some video on US view sites only.

I have a Netgear router.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:51   #5
HJBbradders
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Are you trying to get an incoming VPN or outgoing VPN? Is the VPN point supposed to be to the router, or to a computer on the network?

Every time I've encountered VPN and Netgear routers, even those specifically branded as VPN compatible, I've failed.
Hi,
I don't really understand. I thought the vpn was a bi-directional connection between my router/modem and the party that I want to contcat. I want to both send and receive data from the partner.
Thanks for replying
Old 01-09-2010, 18:57   #6
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I am not going into the reason why i think this but i think we shall see a lot more requests about VPN over the coming months

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 20:14   #7
HJBbradders
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaly985 View Post
Hey,

If i were you i would not flash dd-wrt to your router if your an amateur,
I regularly hack my devices, iphone, psp, etc etc, and flashing my router seemed easy, however when it was flashed the range level significantly dropped compared to the virgin firmware, boosting the power levels and changing wireless channels didnt help so i reverted back to the original vm firmware, which now is right as rain!

So i know it may seem a good to put VPN on your router, however it dosent look like your very experienced at this and so i suggest you find another way around putting VPN on, say buy a different router with vpn built-in.
Hi,
Well yes, I guess that maybe you are right; everything is relative. I am certainly not claiming to be an expert. I am able to replace a HD in a PC, partition and reformat it, and then put 2 OSs on it. I also managed to use Remote Access to control a bit of equipment 50 miles away. It keeps crashing, which is why I want to try the vpn.
If the worst came to the worst, I could always put the old Netgear router back on and access the vpn that way.
So, I really should be grateful if you could advise me on whether I need to use the Wizard to configure the router when I have flashed it with the 2 files. I assume that whatever I do to the router wont affect the modem.
Many thanks for you comments and for taking the trouble to reply... and any other thoughts that may be useful !
Cheers
P
Old 02-09-2010, 14:37   #8
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I am not going into the reason why i think this but i think we shall see a lot more requests about VPN over the coming months
Yes, it's become a NAGging issue.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 15:12   #9
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Take a look at http://www.vpncasestudy.com/

Sorted out my VPN setup.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote