Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Cable Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Cable Router

Old 07-11-2008, 11:30   #1
Blackswan2
Inactive

Blackswan2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Cable Router

I'm going to PC World at lunchtime, is this a good router to get at £35?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

ah not in stock!
As an alternative I was going to get the Linksys WRT54GSUK Wireless 125Mbps Router
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...g_page=Product

but that isn't in stock either!
Blackswan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2008, 11:38   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Cable Router

Hi Blackswan as no one has been able to come to your aid, and lunchtime is fast approaching, I thought you may be best checking out our router recommendation threads.

The latest updates are here and the main thread is here.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:34   #3
Blackswan2
Inactive

Thanks - the two I was going to choose from aren't in stock!
So no trip anyway.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:39   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'd order online. Plenty of places to choose from, www.dabs.com. www.ebuyer.co.uk. www.overclockers.co.uk to name just a few.

I still believe that any of the Linksys WRT54G series routers will do for you with the GS being at the top of the tree (and price), GL middle of the road, and G the lowest denominator.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 13:12   #5
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackswan2 View Post
I'm going to PC World at lunchtime, is this a good router to get at £35?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=
If you are a Virgin customer you can get that router for £40 with full technical support, just call 150 or 0845 454 1111
Old 10-11-2008, 15:48   #6
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

funny that, when i spoke to tech support last week they told me they dont support my router, (the free one, wag614 v9) ? or should i say they dont support any alterations from the factory settings, and did not like it when i told them i had tried port forwarding.

i thought it was a bit funny for the chap to react like that, since VM supplied it,
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 15:54   #7
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
funny that, when i spoke to tech support last week they told me they dont support my router, (the free one, wag614 v9) ? or should i say they dont support any alterations from the factory settings, and did not like it when i told them i had tried port forwarding.

i thought it was a bit funny for the chap to react like that, since VM supplied it,
If you have altered the fimware in any way then you would have invalidated the warranty, but if you have just altered settings within the router via the netgear pages then the can be no issue with supporting your router.
Old 10-11-2008, 17:05   #8
Blackswan2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
If you are a Virgin customer you can get that router for £40 with full technical support, just call 150 or 0845 454 1111
Done that thanks!
Old 18-11-2008, 14:08   #9
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

i have the wag614v9, and i have over the recent weeks been trying different settings, to see if it benefits my connection when playing online (xbox 360), and a thought just occured to me, in a previous thread it was mentioned about setting up a static ip on the xbox, so on recommendation i chose 192.168.1.19 instead of leaving the xbox on automatic,

(this ip address is apparently away from the dhcp servers) ?????????

So since then this has been my default ip on my xbox, can anyone please clarify if this practice is ok if i dont have a static ip supplied by by my isp VM, and is there any chance of getting some kind of ip conflict if i dont have a static ip supplied from VM.

maybe someone could explain the benefit to having a static IP.

In another flash of inspiration today, i decided that i would go into my port forwarding section via the usual route (192.168.1.1), and try to port forward the relevant ports for xbox live, as my connection has been a bit flakey recently, not terrible but no great.

so in the port forwarding/triggering section i had already previously assigned 5 common ports for xbox live to the ip mentioned earlier 192.168.1.19, and tried to change it to (ALL) IP address's, so that if i set the xbox to automatically find an ip address, the ports i have forwarded will always be open so too speak. (i hope i havent lost you yet)

but when i tried to change port 3074 which is currently set up on 2 lines

one for 3074 UDP
one for 3074 TCP

it wouldnt let me alter it because it said that the port is already in use, and the screen returned to the original page. as if the port was already being used by some other software.

it did however let me change one of the other used ports, namely 88UDP from forwarding only on 192.168.1.1 to (ALL) ip's with no problems.

This may be a problem created by me in the the early days, because i did try port forwarding using the VM supplied software, and not going through the correct method of selecting 192.168.1.1 and putting in my username and password.

i,m now wondering will this cause some kind of conflict, if port forwarding is being controlled by 2 different methods,

ie VM supplied wireless desk top shortcut
and netgear homepage router login.

phew i think that just about sums things up, can any kind soul put me out of my misery or give any feedback please.

i know if all else fails i can do a master rest of the router, but the last time i tried that things went a bit pete tong, and i had to call VM to bail me out (cheers vm).
Old 20-11-2008, 15:07   #10
pabscars
Inactive

it would appear that port 3074 is now being used in the UPNP section of the router config, and it wont let me delete it.
Old 20-11-2008, 18:46   #11
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

Hi Blackswan2,

I have a Netgear WGR614v6 and i'm just about to buy a new wireless N router because the Netgear router has a blind spot in my house and the computer (Apple Mini Mac) in the back bedroom can't keep a connection to it. Other than the blind spot the Netgear WGR614v6 is a fantastic router and has served me well for ages.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 20:13   #12
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
I'm definitely going to have to replace my Belkin router and I am seriously considering getting the Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Cable Router from Virgin. Does the one supplied by VM come with the same specs as the ones I have seen on the net or have VM tweaked it in any way? Sorry if this seems a silly question.
Old 20-11-2008, 21:14   #13
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Virgin have custom firmware installed that if you try and update it bricks it. Other than that, it's identical! Netgear don't support the one supplied by Virgin, so I'd pay the £40 or so for the retail one and get Netgears support.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 21:48   #14
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thanks for the reply Turkey Machine.

Sorry to keep asking possibly silly questions but here's another. Would there come a time that I would need to update the VM version of the router?
Old 20-11-2008, 21:52   #15
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I'm definitely going to have to replace my Belkin router and I am seriously considering getting the Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Cable Router from Virgin. Does the one supplied by VM come with the same specs as the ones I have seen on the net or have VM tweaked it in any way? Sorry if this seems a silly question.
If you get it from Virgin it is £40 and they are now charging £7.50 for delivery but it is fully supported by Tech Support for that price, plus it has a 2 year warranty.

The software is embedded so cannot be updated.