Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 20-03-2023, 18:42   #4291
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
After the disaster of Nicola Sturgeon and her party, Who on earth would we want to vote the SNP again, Scotland , England Ireland and Wales all need each other, We are a great country together, why let these halfwits break it up. They have wasted enough money and getting nowhere but failures,
Perhap there should be a vote for the whole of the UK to be asked if we want Scotland to remain , wonder what the result would be then
Old 22-03-2023, 13:32   #4292
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

……. and would we allow 16 year olds to vote?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 14:40   #4293
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Humza Yousaf to succeed Sturgeon as SNP leader.

Quote:
Humza Yousaf is to succeed Nicola Sturgeon as SNP leader and Scotland's first minister after a vote of party members.
Quote:
After Ms Regan was eliminated in the first round, Mr Yousaf defeated Ms Forbes by 52% to 48% in the second round, with Mr Yousaf receiving 26,032 votes and Ms Forbes 23,890.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-65086551
Old 27-03-2023, 16:04   #4294
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

The clown has taken over the circus.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 16:43   #4295
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The numbers are interesting. Despite 3 quite different choices, 20,000 people didn’t bother to vote. For a party that would style itself as progressive, a significant chunk of it’s membership votes Forbes ahead of Yousaf, or wasn’t so concerned by her socially conservative values as to vote at all.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 19:14   #4296
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The numbers are interesting. Despite 3 quite different choices, 20,000 people didn’t bother to vote. For a party that would style itself as progressive, a significant chunk of it’s membership votes Forbes ahead of Yousaf, or wasn’t so concerned by her socially conservative values as to vote at all.
I’d venture to suggest that a huge number of the post-2014 new members were engaged in little more than online virtue signalling, given the ease of joining online, and how low the initial membership fee was. Before the referendum there were just 20,000 members, though I suspect most of them were politically engaged to some degree. Having formally lost more than a third of their peak membership it seems they’re likely to lose a chunk more once they remember to cancel their direct debits.

The vote split is I suspect very revealing of where Scotland really is, culturally and socially. If Humza Useless hadn’t been very overtly the establishment candidate I suspect Forbes would have done better still, and could have won it.

Whatever, it’s settled now. We’re in for a couple of years of the same old, same old, and then probably quite a difficult election for the SNP.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 19:31   #4297
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’d venture to suggest that a huge number of the post-2014 new members were engaged in little more than online virtue signalling, given the ease of joining online, and how low the initial membership fee was. Before the referendum there were just 20,000 members, though I suspect most of them were politically engaged to some degree. Having formally lost more than a third of their peak membership it seems they’re likely to lose a chunk more once they remember to cancel their direct debits.

The vote split is I suspect very revealing of where Scotland really is, culturally and socially. If Humza Useless hadn’t been very overtly the establishment candidate I suspect Forbes would have done better still, and could have won it.

Whatever, it’s settled now. We’re in for a couple of years of the same old, same old, and then probably quite a difficult election for the SNP.
I am guessing that Forbes, being rooted in Old Testament thinking re: LGBT+, probably alienated enough of the younger SNP support to ensure she lost. Saying that, depending where Humza is aligned in the Islamic theology spectrum, he may not be far behind.

If these two are the best that the SNP can do then its fun time for Labour for the next GE ...
Old 27-03-2023, 20:18   #4298
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I am guessing that Forbes, being rooted in Old Testament thinking re: LGBT+, probably alienated enough of the younger SNP support to ensure she lost. Saying that, depending where Humza is aligned in the Islamic theology spectrum, he may not be far behind.

If these two are the best that the SNP can do then its fun time for Labour for the next GE ...
There’s plenty in the New Testament about model relationships and sexuality as well. There’s also a lot about tolerance. Kate Forbes is routinely - sometimes wilfully - misunderstood for assuming she holds to one and not the other. In my experience I have come across many more LGBT etc activists who have failed to master the skill of disagreeing well, than I have encountered Christians with that problem.

Public polling throughout this campaign has consistently shown Kate Forbes was the voters’ favourite. The SNP has missed an opportunity to bring in a new broom and a popular face and has instead stuck with business as usual with a minister whose record is hardly glowing. The noises coming from the other political parties in Scotland are rather positive this evening. The SNP ought to worry why that is.
Old 27-03-2023, 21:42   #4299
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Although now a somewhat moot point, can you please explain what you've said there?

Hmmm - Humza Yousaf - Scottish Nationalist?

Old 27-03-2023, 21:52   #4300
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Although now a somewhat moot point, can you please explain what you've said there?

Can I ask why you are questioning this?

He was born in Glasgow…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 22:03   #4301
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Can I ask why you are questioning this?

He was born in Glasgow…
You would pick on that part of my reply.

Old 27-03-2023, 22:49   #4302
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Kate Forbes is against a number of progressive policies: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64747672

Quote:
The finance secretary has lost support from several SNP politicians after saying she would have voted against gay marriage had she been an MSP in 2014.

Ms Forbes, who is a member of the Free Church of Scotland, also said she believed that having a child outside of marriage was "wrong" according to her religious beliefs when she took part in a series of interviews on Monday and Tuesday.
I think the SNP dodged a bullet electing Humza instead of Forbes
Old 27-03-2023, 22:53   #4303
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Kate Forbes is against a number of progressive policies: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64747672

I think the SNP dodged a bullet electing Humza instead of Forbes
I think you’re reading your own social assumptions onto it without any real understanding of Scottish social attitudes or politics. As I’ve already said, public polling consistently put Kate Forbes ahead of the others, in many cases because of her conservative outlook. Scotland is not Islington.

You only need to listen to what the opposition parties in Scotland are saying this evening to understand just how much they wanted Humza Useless to get the job rather than Kate Forbes.

Here, try reading some Scottish political commentary from someone who knows what he’s talking about: https://news.stv.tv/politics/bernard...icola-sturgeon
Old 27-03-2023, 23:14   #4304
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think you’re reading your own social assumptions onto it without any real understanding of Scottish social attitudes or politics. As I’ve already said, public polling consistently put Kate Forbes ahead of the others, in many cases because of her conservative outlook. Scotland is not Islington.

You only need to listen to what the opposition parties in Scotland are saying this evening to understand just how much they wanted Humza Useless to get the job rather than Kate Forbes.

Here, try reading some Scottish political commentary from someone who knows what he’s talking about: https://news.stv.tv/politics/bernard...icola-sturgeon
I don't live in Islington and I am half Scottish. My grandfather was a piper in a Scottish regiment, my father was born in Scotland and I have a sister and brother both living in the Highlands, who I talk to regularly about Scottish politics. I know more about Scotland than your snide remarks imply. Arrogance is not a good look.

What I do know is that the tide of demographics favour independence. The younger voters, by far, favour independence and as the older voters pass on, this view will get more & more entrenched. There is also a large majority in favour of gay marriage in Scotland, a policy that Forbes could and would not support.
Old 27-03-2023, 23:39   #4305
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

The younger voters may well favour independence. But are they wise enough to understand what shooting yourself in the foot means in the context of finance?
Scotland can't make it on its own.