Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | AM Radio fading into history

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar

AM Radio fading into history

Old 24-02-2023, 04:57   #31
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Thats sad.... Why cut off listeners??
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2023, 12:38   #32
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Re: AM Radio fading into history

Indeed, and of course Bauer are also closing down their local MW outlets, albeit gradually, and I would imagine that Bauer will no longer be transmitting anything on MW by the middle of the decade.

And I wonder for how much longer any BBC Local Radio stations will continue on MW and the BBC stated that it sees the transmission of 5 Live on MW ending later in the decade. However, they have not indicated a possible closedown timeline of Radio 4 on 198 LW.

I wonder if Ofcom will look to re-advertise 1215 AM for another station, thereby giving a national station an analogue outlet and if so, I guess a station like LBC might consider it especially as Global seems to be much more AM-friendly as they haven't closed down any MW transmitters unless there were extenuating circumstances.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 16:55   #33
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
Indeed, and of course Bauer are also closing down their local MW outlets, albeit gradually, and I would imagine that Bauer will no longer be transmitting anything on MW by the middle of the decade.

And I wonder for how much longer any BBC Local Radio stations will continue on MW and the BBC stated that it sees the transmission of 5 Live on MW ending later in the decade. However, they have not indicated a possible closedown timeline of Radio 4 on 198 LW.

I wonder if Ofcom will look to re-advertise 1215 AM for another station, thereby giving a national station an analogue outlet and if so, I guess a station like LBC might consider it especially as Global seems to be much more AM-friendly as they haven't closed down any MW transmitters unless there were extenuating circumstances.
198 Long Wave is currently still being used by the Radio Teleswitch service. One of the reasons the BBC still maintain it. The current agreement ends in march, but as some electricity meters still depend on the signal it may be extended further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_teleswitch
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 17:07   #34
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

The LW frequency is atomic controlled and used by (some) frequency measuring equipment as a reference. It also has a far reach hence the use of it to broadcast the shipping forecast.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:38   #35
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

I'd also imagine that before long the remaining BBC Local AM transmitters in England will soon be switched off.
Old 09-04-2023, 15:15   #36
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
I'd also imagine that before long the remaining BBC Local AM transmitters in England will soon be switched off.
Its unlikely to be long before 1, 2 & 3 below are closed. The others are likely to remain for a while longer.

1) BBC Radio Cumbria AM - Local DAB now available to the entire region having been delayed due to COVID.

2) BBC Radio Jersey/Guernsey AM - Likewise.

3) BBC Radio Somerset Taunton AM - DAB coverage now extended but FM remains poor.

4) BBC Radio Derby AM - used part time for the BBC Asian Network services, so may stay until the other AM sites at Langley Mill, Sedgely, Freemans Common & Gunthorpe are closed.

5) BBC Radio Norfolk West Lynn AM - Remains as FM & DAB reception continues to be poor in this area.

6) BBC Radio Gloucestershire Berkeley Heath AM - Likewise.
Old 10-04-2023, 17:05   #37
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Bauer Radio did axe Clyde 2 for Greatest Hits Radio on April 3rd here in Central Scotland.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 13:07   #38
Rillington
cf.mega poster

and I would imagine that Bauer will soon start closing down its remaining AM frequencies as GHR appears on FM and DAB in more and more parts of the UK.

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Its unlikely to be long before 1, 2 & 3 below are closed. The others are likely to remain for a while longer.

1) BBC Radio Cumbria AM - Local DAB now available to the entire region having been delayed due to COVID.

2) BBC Radio Jersey/Guernsey AM - Likewise.

3) BBC Radio Somerset Taunton AM - DAB coverage now extended but FM remains poor.

4) BBC Radio Derby AM - used part time for the BBC Asian Network services, so may stay until the other AM sites at Langley Mill, Sedgely, Freemans Common & Gunthorpe are closed.

5) BBC Radio Norfolk West Lynn AM - Remains as FM & DAB reception continues to be poor in this area.

6) BBC Radio Gloucestershire Berkeley Heath AM - Likewise.
It is slightly surprising that BBC Radios Jersey and guernsey still broadcast on MW.

Shutting down BBC Radio Cumbria on AM is less easy due to the rural nature of many parts of the county which won't have satisfactory FM coverage.

I was slightly surprised that some of the AM transmitters which carried BBC Asian Network during the evening were closed down. It might have been more logical for those AM transmitters to have been switched to broadcasting BBC Asian Network full time, like is the case in Leicestershire.
Old 11-04-2023, 23:31   #39
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
Bauer Radio did axe Clyde 2 for Greatest Hits Radio on April 3rd here in Central Scotland.
They rebranded 7 Scottish heritage networks to GHR. On-air they call it Greatest Hits Radio Scotland but there are 7 optouts. On DAB my local one is GHR Tayside.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/01/bau...st-hits-radio/
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 13:29   #40
Rillington
cf.mega poster

From what I can gather those opt-outs consists of daytime news bulletins lasting 90 seconds consisting of a mixture of international, national and local news plus a localised weather forecast at the end of that bulletin, travel information at peaktime and localised commercials.
Old 12-04-2023, 16:30   #41
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
From what I can gather those opt-outs consists of daytime news bulletins lasting 90 seconds consisting of a mixture of international, national and local news plus a localised weather forecast at the end of that bulletin, travel information at peaktime and localised commercials.
There are DJs for Scotland at certain times of day e.g. Breakfast and Afternoon sandwiched between Ken Bruce and Simin Mayo. So not Tayside-level local, in my case, but not UK-wide either.
Old 13-04-2023, 11:29   #42
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
They rebranded 7 Scottish heritage networks to GHR. On-air they call it Greatest Hits Radio Scotland but there are 7 optouts. On DAB my local one is GHR Tayside.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/01/bau...st-hits-radio/
Northsound 2 closed on AM in 2018, so only existed on DAB. The lease on the Nigg site was terminated by the owner & I assume Bauer had no interest in moving to the nearby Redmoss site.

Last edited by nodrogd; 13-04-2023 at 11:33.
Old 13-04-2023, 12:04   #43
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Northsound 2 closed on AM in 2018, so only existed on DAB. The lease on the Nigg site was terminated by the owner & I assume Bauer had no interest in moving to the nearby Redmoss site.
Thanks. I recall reading about that, I think. Didn't know which stations it affected though, other than not my local area.
Old 13-04-2023, 13:28   #44
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks for that information regarding by Bauer closed won Northsound 2 on AM.

I seem to recall that the small number of AM transmitters that Global has switched off were for similar reasons as I don't think that Global has switched off any AM transmitters because they want to, like Bauer has done.
Old 14-04-2023, 15:26   #45
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

When I worked I listened to Radio 5 Live on DAB, mainly because Niahl use to go to my school, and was in the same house as my cousins wife.

But I can only get it on 909 on my dads car.