Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | More Freeview broadcast capacity 2012 - 2016

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

More Freeview broadcast capacity 2012 - 2016

Old 24-08-2011, 19:09   #1
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
More Freeview broadcast capacity 2012 - 2016

It appears that Ofcom is releasing UHF Channels 31 - 37 that were to be sold off in the "digital dividend" and are now retaining them for broadcasting. This brings about the possibility of a major increase in capacity, especially if single frequency networks are used, and could bring up to 35 HD channels to the main 80 Freeview transmitters by 2016.

Story on UK Free TV
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2011, 19:13   #2
Jameseh

Re: More Freeview broadcast capacity 2012 - 2016

Argos TV HD, yessssss!
Old 25-08-2011, 19:12   #3
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Argos TV HD, yessssss!
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 21:50   #4
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
It appears that Ofcom is releasing UHF Channels 31 - 37 that were to be sold off in the "digital dividend" and are now retaining them for broadcasting. This brings about the possibility of a major increase in capacity, especially if single frequency networks are used, and could bring up to 35 HD channels to the main 80 Freeview transmitters by 2016.

Story on UK Free TV
Freesat has still got more than enough to put out any freeview efforts to make up it's shortfall/shortsightness by design..... just wondering how much are they willing to sink into freeview before they throw in the towel for a better platform of broadcast (freesat). Waste of money in my eyes full stop.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
humm another shopping channel... as like the rest There not enough time time in the day watch them all hehe BTW I never have time to watch them, too busy doing everything else
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 23:03   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The problem with Freesat right now is that it is being undermined by one of its owners (ITV). They set the cause of free-to-air satellite in the UK almost back to square one when they signed an encryption deal with Sky for their HD 2/3/4 channels.

Mind you, Freeview has had problems of its own, as OFCOM has been insisting for years that it was going to flog off the analogue spectrum to the highest bidder, effectively rendering the platform futureless thanks to there being no capacity for the inevitable day when all the channels need to standardise on HD.

I wonder whether the dog's breakfast ITV has now made of Freesat is what finally convinced OFCOM that the UK is going to have to stick with terrestrial broadcasts in the long term, rather than moving to the far more sensible solution of standardising on free-to-air satellite.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 23:37   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

One thing that struck me about the original article is that it states that you need a wideband aerial for the new frequencies. I'm not sure what's on my roof, but I figure that if I need to have a new aerial installed, it might as well be a dish. Actually, as I need to buy a new box to receive HD anyway, I'll be moving over to Freesat as soon as I can justify replacing my existing Freeview PVR.

I see little point in investing money in a platform that's inherently limited when I can go freesat for the same money.
Old 26-08-2011, 09:40   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If you didn't have to change your aerial when you started getting Freeview, it's probably not a wideband aerial. Terrestrial transmitters in the UK are organised into UHF channel groups so that they don't interfere with each other. But when Freeview and analogue were running side by side, sometimes it was necessary to put the Freeview muxes on a channel that was outside of the transmitter's normal channel group. Therefore, in order to receive Freeview from that transmitter, it was necessary to switch your aerial for one that was capable of collecting signals from any of the UHF channels, and not just the ones from within the group allocated to your transmitter.

I believe the intention was that, once digital switchover was complete, all transmitters would revert to making all their broadcasts from within group, but under this new HD rollout plan it looks like that's no longer going to be possible.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 16:58   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I believe the intention was that, once digital switchover was complete, all transmitters would revert to making all their broadcasts from within group, but under this new HD rollout plan it looks like that's no longer going to be possible.
The origional plan only really ensured that viewers would receive at least the PSB muxes with their existing aerials. Under the new proposals only people with group C/D aerials will need to make any changes, as Groups A & K cover the channels and Groups B & E can usually be pushed down to CH33 without too much loss. A bit of nifty frequency planning should ensure most people get reception.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote