Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 13:08   #1126
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
UPDATE: Eurosport UHD to carry on after August 9th?

TiVo EPG listings say that Eurosport UHD are still broadcasting until August 19th at time of posting. After August 9th the listings are the same as Eurosport 1 HD.
I've been hoping for this because a few months ago, I watched Ski Jumping and also Snooker on Eurosport UHD and the picture quality was amazing.

It's especially welcome as it looks like Virgin wont be launching the much promised Sky Sports UHD which was promised way back in May 2019.
Old 08-08-2021, 13:59   #1127
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

As far as I know, Sky is contractually committed to provide Virgin with Sky Sports UHD. It’s been slow coming, for Sky users too, but I think it is still on its way.

Have you heard any different?
Old 08-08-2021, 14:03   #1128
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As far as I know, Sky is contractually committed to provide Virgin with Sky Sports UHD. It’s been slow coming, for Sky users too, but I think it is still on its way.

Have you heard any different?
Sky users have been watching UHD sport for ages , this season brings HDR.
Old 08-08-2021, 14:15   #1129
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky users have been watching UHD sport for ages , this season brings HDR.
I know, and that, I think, is what we have been waiting for.
Old 08-08-2021, 15:21   #1130
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I know, and that, I think, is what we have been waiting for.
Eurosport 4K has the same info as the other temporary channels from Fri 20th Aug
It says ‘Coming soon’ which would tell me based on the other channels it will be going again.

This Friday is one to watch on the Sky Sports UHD front as on SkyQ they are broadcasting in HDR for the first time.

We might just get UHD then………… maybe
Old 08-08-2021, 15:24   #1131
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
Eurosport 4K has the same info as the other temporary channels from Fri 20th Aug
It says ‘Coming soon’ which would tell me based on the other channels it will be going again.

This Friday is one to watch on the Sky Sports UHD front as on SkyQ they are broadcasting in HDR for the first time.

not holding my breath but the premier league starts Friday
Old 08-08-2021, 15:36   #1132
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But The Eurosport HD channels listing only runs up to that date.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Quote:
I have just seen an pig flying over my house. If and it an big if Sky Sports UHD is set to launch on Virgin Media for this coming season it will start testing on DBR by Tuesday afternoon.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 08-08-2021, 15:55   #1133
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
But The Eurosport HD channels listing only runs up to that date.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

I have just seen an pig flying over my house. If and it an big if Sky Sports UHD is set to launch on Virgin Media for this coming season it will start testing on DBR by Tuesday afternoon.
It might use the Eurosport 4K feed?
Old 08-08-2021, 16:02   #1134
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It might use the Eurosport 4K feed?
Don't think so as Eurosport 4K is broadcasting on an temporary stream that Virgin launch for BBC Red Button Channels. When Sky Sports UHD Channel do launch on Virgin Media it will be on one of the main streams that Virgin use all year round. But saying that Sky Sports UHD may launch on that stream if Eurosport 4K do stay on Channel number 523 after tomorrow night.

I think Virgin will use CO 68 (Where 3 streams of Virgin Media UHD broadcasts) or CO 73 (Where BT Sport UHD broadcasts)

CO 68: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

CO 73: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 08-08-2021 at 16:26. Reason: adding more text
Old 08-08-2021, 21:55   #1135
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Don't think so as Eurosport 4K is broadcasting on an temporary stream that Virgin launch for BBC Red Button Channels. When Sky Sports UHD Channel do launch on Virgin Media it will be on one of the main streams that Virgin use all year round. But saying that Sky Sports UHD may launch on that stream if Eurosport 4K do stay on Channel number 523 after tomorrow night.

I think Virgin will use CO 68 (Where 3 streams of Virgin Media UHD broadcasts) or CO 73 (Where BT Sport UHD broadcasts)

CO 68: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en
Virgin are only running a single 4K service on each frequency / stream and filling any left over space with radio services and video slates. C 068 only has one 4K service. There are three configurations of the same thing, which allows it to appear on different channel numbers etc.

Same as above, there is only one 4K service with radio & static video taking up any other space. Look at the graph and the amount of space the 4K service is using. Look at the black section at the top, that is the free space available for additional services. Ther isn't enough room for another 4K service there.

Using digitalbitrate as an example, C 071 could be reused, if it is no longer needed for Eurosport 4K. C 064 and C 075 are also candidates after the temporary Eurosport HD channels are removed. Or, Virgin could do something entirely different. The C channel numbers are only relevant to the local network being monitored by digitalbitrate and will be different on other networks.
Old 09-08-2021, 00:14   #1136
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Virgin are only running a single 4K service on each frequency / stream and filling any left over space with radio services and video slates. C 068 only has one 4K service. There are three configurations of the same thing, which allows it to appear on different channel numbers etc.

Same as above, there is only one 4K service with radio & static video taking up any other space. Look at the graph and the amount of space the 4K service is using. Look at the black section at the top, that is the free space available for additional services. Ther isn't enough room for another 4K service there.

Using digitalbitrate as an example, C 071 could be reused, if it is no longer needed for Eurosport 4K. C 064 and C 075 are also candidates after the temporary Eurosport HD channels are removed. Or, Virgin could do something entirely different. The C channel numbers are only relevant to the local network being monitored by digitalbitrate and will be different on other networks.
At time of posting base on DBR Info here is the Mb/s for UHD Channels on Virgin Media.

Virgin TV UHD - 21.1 Mb/s on CO 68
Eurosport UHD - 19.9 Mb/s on CO 71
BT Sport UHD - 27.1 Mb/s on CO 73

So Virgin can easy have THREE UHD Channels on an stream if Virgin Media take the time to tidy up some of their SD and HD streams.

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

All temporary Eurosport channels - both HD and 4K - has now been removed from the EPG.
Old 09-08-2021, 00:50   #1137
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
At time of posting base on DBR Info here is the Mb/s for UHD Channels on Virgin Media.

Virgin TV UHD - 21.1 Mb/s on CO 68
Eurosport UHD - 19.9 Mb/s on CO 71
BT Sport UHD - 27.1 Mb/s on CO 73

So Virgin can easy have THREE UHD Channels on an stream if Virgin Media take the time to tidy up some of their SD and HD streams.
"Virgin TV UHD" is actually around 26 Mb/s. The variations on digitalbitrate are, most likely, from noise or a poor connection. This sort of thing can also be seen on other channels on that website. The graphs show a maximum bitrate of 51.1 Mb/s, to get three 4K streams into that space would mean they could be no more than 16 Mb/s for video but room has to be left for other things such as audio, subtitles and stream data. From your own example, none of the 4K video streams are operating at 16 Mb/s, so you can assume they need a higher bitrate.

Virgin trialled two 4K streams on the same frequency when 4K was first introduced. That's the maximum, not three. As they removed the second stream and filled remaining space with audio and still video slates, it can be assumed that this is the method favoured by Virgin. It gives enough space to increase the video bitrate, if required and also to add additional content.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

I suppose that it's now easy to see why Virgin didn't bother to remove the "Coming soon" events from the EPG. They didn't leave the channels active long enough for most viewers to actually notice.
Old 09-08-2021, 00:55   #1138
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
I suppose that it's now easy to see why Virgin didn't bother to remove the "Coming soon" events from the EPG. They didn't leave the channels active long enough for most viewers to actually notice.
I see that both FOX and FOX HD has been removed from the DBR page.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:05   #1139
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
I see that both FOX and FOX HD has been removed from the DBR page.
But it was only showing the date that the services were removed. Those notifications will only be displayed for a limited period, it doesn't indicate a further change at Virgin.
Old 09-08-2021, 20:39   #1140
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Bad news for Football and UHD fans.

I have tonight been told by someone "in the know" to NOT to expect Sky Sports UHD in time for Friday launch of the new Premier League Football Season.

I was also told that "everything is ready" for Sky Sports UHD to launch BUT a delay is down to Virgin Media UK.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 09-08-2021 at 21:45. Reason: adding more text
Closed Thread