Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card...

Old 23-10-2005, 02:03   #1
emsee
Inactive

emsee is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card...

Hello all i have quite a problem with my router... I bought it in the morning and since then i have had one problem... I have a Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card... both 54 Mbps and they both are 802.11g - 2.4Ghz.. It was easy to install the router downstairs in the study and the internet was still at a great speed for surfing, and the downloading speed ranged from 200kbs to about 500kb's. The main point to get this router was so i can internet upstairs in my room which isnt very far from the router itself.. so i installed the Wireless netwrok card in the computer upstairs and it piked up that there was a router to connect to and it does load up web pages, but the main problem is the Signal Strength and the speed of the connection! The Signal Strength constantly stays between 40 and 50% and the speed just stays at 11Mbs and goes up to 18Mbs now and then!

Does anyone know what i can do to resolve this i dont want to buy more stuff!

any suggestion will be greatly appreciated! Thank You.
emsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2005, 02:48   #2
emsee
Inactive

Re: Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card...

please help
Old 23-10-2005, 03:43   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

For surfing the web, the speeds you are getting 11MBPs + should be plenty.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 05:19   #4
emsee
Inactive

HMMMM then y does it take 3 - 5 minutes to load one page? and the majority of the time it just doesnt load up? even by refreshing it again and again and exiting and restarting Internet Explorer doesnt help this nor does restarting the computer! so i think 11Mbs isnt enough to browse the web let alone download files!!! sorry for the sarcasm just a bit annoyed and upset!
Old 23-10-2005, 10:02   #5
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Emsee which wireless channel are you on at the moment...go to http://192.168.2.1 and there go to Wireless and then Channel & SSID. if on 11 then change it to say channel 3. this should solve the problem.

also for other things I posted a link in Usefull IT information about belkin routers, wireless cards and stuff like that so perhaps if you read some of that info you get alot further.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=36788
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 12:28   #6
emsee
Inactive

hey thanx for the info... i know how to change the channel but i dont no actually what itis and y by default its 11? an why 3?
Old 23-10-2005, 12:34   #7
bjorkiii

Services: 20 meg

stop askin so many questions just do as the man says
Old 23-10-2005, 12:45   #8
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

Services: BT, nowhere near 8meg, phone and Sky.
bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road

@ bjorkii, all due respect but that was a bit rough........
bucketbakereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 13:14   #9
emsee
Inactive

Angry Re: Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card...

what is a forum? a forum is used either for the following:-
  • Downloading - They are at times used to upload links that contain software, music or videos... which other members of that forum will download and give reputation to the thread starter...
  • Dating - Nowadays a lot of forums are put up so people from all over the world can meet and flirt or whateva with each other...
  • Information, News and Reviews - This is where a poster will put up an article say for example of new upcoming mobile phone and other useres will discuss it.. etc... give the latest news and information.
  • Help - Everyone knows the majority of forums are made so people can ask users questions, explain problems and ask for the solution... Am i wrong? it may sound very small but type something in google and most of the time 1 in every 5 links will be a forum where someone has asked a question or explained a problem where another user has tried to help him!
SO NOW HERES WHERE I COME IN! THATS WHAT AM USING THIS FORUM FOR THERE IS NO FORUM FOR HATERZ SO KEEP UR COMMENTS TO YOUSELF! B4 I GIVE U A VIRTUAL SLAP!
Old 23-10-2005, 13:21   #10
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Have you done as has been suggested?

Log into your modems config page, go to "channel & SSID" from left menu & change your channel to another one much further away from the first.
I.E. 3 instead of 11.

Try reading the help files/manual for the router as it tells you about the channels in there, you may well be getting interfierence from someone elses network so changing channel can fix your problem.

Or have you got lead lined walls perhaps?

P.S. regarding your "What is a forum" post.
Yes a forum is for asking for help, but if you don't accept the help & instead ignor it then why should people try helping any more?

NOw try doing as the man first suggested, it won't hurt. do it on both your router & access devices so that they match.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 13:31   #11
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

Services: BT, nowhere near 8meg, phone and Sky.
bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road

< steps away from the thread for fear of bein bitch slapped in the crossfire
bucketbakereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 14:42   #12
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsee
SO NOW HERES WHERE I COME IN! THATS WHAT AM USING THIS FORUM FOR THERE IS NO FORUM FOR HATERZ SO KEEP UR COMMENTS TO YOUSELF! B4 I GIVE U A VIRTUAL SLAP! [/size][/b]

Erm, there's no need to shout, emsee. You may see it as one person having dissed you, but the other people here certainly haven't, and don't deserve that sort of behaviour from you. ;-)
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 16:34   #13
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Emsee try that link that I posted first of all got all the solutions to problems in it....channels have quite a few uses as some products like cordless phones also use the 2.4ghz band ditto with Bluetooth and things like that. so do as I said please and change the channel and you'll notice your connection improving
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 02:13   #14
emsee
Inactive

yehp i did change the channel from 11 to 3 and it did improve thank you! but i was wondering if i returned the wireless G network adapter and got Usb one instead will that be better, because i can get an extension for it and put the usb adapter much closer to the router?
Old 24-10-2005, 02:35   #15
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

youre much better sticking to the PCI card, beleive me!!! Does your PCI card have a dettatchable ariel (IE does it unscrew?) If so, you can get an extension for it.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote