Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 17:03   #16
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Wireless HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

Are you sure both machines are in the same workgroup? (I believe the name is case-sensitive)
Old 12-02-2007, 17:11   #17
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Are you sure both machines are in the same workgroup? (I believe the name is case-sensitive)
yes

if possible, then can some1 plz post step by step instructions on how to share files wirelessly for a dummy
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 17:28   #18
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ot_network.htm

Incidentally, I don't think the wireless is the problem. It's just your network setup.
Old 12-02-2007, 17:31   #19
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ot_network.htm

Incidentally, I don't think the wireless is the problem. It's just your network setup.
funnily, thats just wat i was reading...

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

will chk out ur link as soon as i finish reading this one!
Old 12-02-2007, 17:34   #20
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
funnily, thats just wat i was reading...

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

will chk out ur link as soon as i finish reading this one!
It's a good site. I spent quite some time on there when I started looking into networking.
Old 12-02-2007, 17:45   #21
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
It's a good site. I spent quite some time on there when I started looking into networking.
wow... I just turned off every single firewall, windows/norton on both devices, and changed some setting on the main computer, and suddenly its all working???

to be honest, i dont even know what i changed, but it works lol.... thanks to u alllllllllll for ur help

see, hard work does pay off!
Old 12-02-2007, 17:52   #22
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
wow... I just turned off every single firewall, windows/norton on both devices, and changed some setting on the main computer, and suddenly its all working???

to be honest, i dont even know what i changed, but it works lol.... thanks to u alllllllllll for ur help

see, hard work does pay off!
Ah well, that's networking for you

Good to hear you got it sorted
Old 12-02-2007, 18:03   #23
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Good to hear you finally got it sorted!
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 18:32   #24
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Make sure you only use one software firewall on each PC. That router has a hardware firewall built in but i still think it's wise to run a software firewall as it gives more control on individual software applications getting access to the internet. The standard windows XP firewall isn't very good as it only controls inbound detection. As for Norton i have my opinions on that piece of crap!
Old 12-02-2007, 19:07   #25
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Make sure you only use one software firewall on each PC. That router has a hardware firewall built in but i still think it's wise to run a software firewall as it gives more control on individual software applications getting access to the internet. The standard windows XP firewall isn't very good as it only controls inbound detection. As for Norton i have my opinions on that piece of crap!
I turned on the xp firewall and norton on both devices, and the network still works!

so i will leave the firewalls on
Old 12-02-2007, 19:12   #26
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

If you've got Norton Firewall on, it's best not to have Windows Firewall on as well.
Old 12-02-2007, 19:23   #27
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
If you've got Norton Firewall on, it's best not to have Windows Firewall on as well.
i have had both running on my pc for quite some time... had no probs so far
Old 12-02-2007, 19:32   #28
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
i have had both running on my pc for quite some time... had no probs so far
It's pointless having 2 software firewalls running as they are both doing similar things. Even though Norton isn't very good it does it's job far better than Windows Firewall.

The same goes for Virus and Antispyware software, you should only run one at a time.
Old 12-02-2007, 19:33   #29
Nikesh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It's pointless having 2 software firewalls running as they are both doing similar things. Even though Norton isn't very good it does it's job far better than Windows Firewall.
Agree.