Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Network

Old 16-10-2005, 13:46   #1
Adh
Inactive

Adh is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Wireless Network

I have a 300k ntl USB cable modem on my PC.. i also i have 2 laptops with built in wifi technology.... problem is i need to share my PC connection with these 2 laptops wirelessly... I was wondering will this device be all I need for this?

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

I havent got a spare ethernet port on my PC so thats why i chose this product as it connects through usb port on computer... so is this product all I will need for my wireless network to function?
Adh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2005, 13:56   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wireless Network

Moved to Computers & IT

I don't think it will work. That product includes a cable modem, so presumably you are expecting to replace your existing ntl modem. You can't do that, you need a modem that ntl recognises as part of it's network, or you just will not get broadband. Basically you have to use the ntl supplied modem.

Your modem, does it only have a USB port, or is there an ehternet port that you don't use at the moment?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2005, 15:28   #3
Adh
Inactive

there is an ethernet port on the back of USB modem that I don't use, because i dont have a spare NIC port on my computer..
Old 16-10-2005, 15:40   #4
bdav
Inactive

bdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to bdav

What is your NIC used for then?

Could whats plugged in there not be plugged into a standard ethernet/wireless broadband router, and plug the cable modem into the internet port on the router?
bdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2005, 15:42   #5
Adh
Inactive

I don't have a NIC port on my computer lol
Old 24-10-2005, 12:47   #6
Adh
Inactive

would i need to buy a ethernet card for my PC or can i still connect my computer to a router via USB? any recommendations on a router for this?
Thx 4 your help..
Old 24-10-2005, 12:53   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

You would need to buy an ethernet card for your PC, these cost upward of £1.99 thesedays and fitting them is not something you should get worried about, you turn the power off, open the case and push it into a spare slot. Windows should do the rest.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=31095

You then need a wireless router, the Linksys WRT54G or something else from the list of recommendations. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74

You will need to secure your wireless network http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

Do the laptops have wireless functionality already?
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 12:57   #8
Adh
Inactive

they have built in wifi cards etc. but do not have an access point to connect to so i want to share my pc's internet, is it possible to connect to the router via usb and not use ethernet?

thx
Old 24-10-2005, 13:00   #9
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

You could get something like this
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=45487
Linksys Etherfast 10/100 USB 2.0 - Network Adapter
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 13:03   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adh
is it possible to connect to the router via usb and not use ethernet?

thx
No. But as others have said, equipping your PC with ethernet is very cheap and very easy - don't let it stop you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote