Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | internet, ps3 and xbox 360 wireless router help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

internet, ps3 and xbox 360 wireless router help

Old 01-07-2008, 00:13   #16
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice
Re: internet, ps3 and xbox 360 wireless router help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Upnp in the consoles sorts out the portforwarding for you,
Static IP addressing may or may not stop someone like all secuirty it depends on what they know and how determined they are.

DMZ only works for a single device also.

For arugment sake i've had 3 xbox 360's participate in halo3 matches over xbox live on my previous 8128kps down 448 kps connection using a voyager 2110 router and allowing Upnp to handle the port mappings
Linksys (most models)

Some of the Wireless G range of Linksys routers have had NAT issues for sometime now, recently Linksys have released new firmware for some models that fix these issues, therefore I suggest you download and use the latest version of firmware and reset the router back to factory defaults and check the outcome of the NAT status

well i tried all the above you mention and with both belkin and linksys(which was a nightmare). and hosting was a problem,live chat and connecting to live was also trouble.
ps3 was just a useless black box that is now giving my brother more trouble than its worth
but as we have both shown there are many ways of setting up a router you just have to find what is best for your home network.
love forums and the transfer of good ideas

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:48 ----------

just had a chat with son and he has a few friends from the USA.
they are saying if you can get linksys router made for the USA market as these have a fare better options and better firm wire upgrades.
and will work over here in the uk....his mate is shipping one over for us so will keep you informed.
Here's a list of best linksys routers with firm wire ver for xbox live they sent him.
BEFSR41 (v3)1.04.8
BEFW11S4 (v4)1.45.3, 1.50.14
WRT54G 2.02.7

WRT55AG (v2) 1.30
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 00:21   #17
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

WRT54GL with tomato gets my vote.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 00:29   #18
hoggie
Inactive

hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

Quote:
WRT54GL with tomato gets my vote.
every time, only heard good things about the tomato firm wire.
some of the lads on CoD4 where talking about that earlier today
going on a mission on google and have a read up on it.

PS. just got backside kicked by wife on mario kart
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04   #19
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggie View Post
every time, only heard good things about the tomato firm wire.
some of the lads on CoD4 where talking about that earlier today
going on a mission on google and have a read up on it.

PS. just got backside kicked by wife on mario kart
look at linksysinfo.org theres some modified versions there that can track upto 8k connections across the nat, the mod by vitek is pretty good as well.

I'm actually on Adsl but Ive got a DG834 v4 set to Bridge (modem only) and then using the WRT54GL as my router becuase I like some the features that i've not found a decent Equivelent to in the Adsl Modem/router all in one units.

Mine's doing QOS, Internal DNS, DNS caching (set to around 8K), DHCP server, NAT and Firewall (Some machines have certian port-ranges filtered and L7 filters in place)

And i've yet to have any problems
Old 02-07-2008, 23:55   #20
hoggie
Inactive

Quote:
look at linksysinfo.org theres some modified versions there that can track upto 8k connections across the nat, the mod by vitek is pretty good as well.

I'm actually on Adsl but Ive got a DG834 v4 set to Bridge (modem only) and then using the WRT54GL as my router becuase I like some the features that i've not found a decent Equivelent to in the Adsl Modem/router all in one units.

Mine's doing QOS, Internal DNS, DNS caching (set to around 8K), DHCP server, NAT and Firewall (Some machines have certian port-ranges filtered and L7 filters in place)

been reading up on the two versions of linksys routers ones for the USA market and the ones they send over to the UK. we seem to be getting the ruff end of the pine apple.
but most usa routers work over here. can't wait for my sons new router to show up.
been trying out a new set-up today.
linksys wrk54g with xbox(wired) and wii(wifi) no firewall just mac filter.
then my belkin router connected to that with just the wifi for three laptops firewall on, mac filter on with wpa.
seems very stable and the xbox360 has no lag and hosting seem far better (reported from son).
but this is on a 20mb connection.
all it took was a bit of ip jigging on linksys and all works great.
all done for a test my mate was having trouble with xbox on the linksys but im finding it ok
Old 03-07-2008, 17:32   #21
hoggie
Inactive

Quote:

now i want to stick with the two router setup but want to use Qos on the xbox360. just want to throttle down sons connection but will try and find how low i can take his bandwidth before it starts to cause trouble

two router setup is great.
Old 19-12-2008, 20:15   #22
Cronus
Inactive

Cronus is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to gate crash the thread with my first post...

I'm looking into getting a wireless router for my Virgin Media broadband service with the intention of running my pc and xbox 360 wired (downstairs) and my PS3 wireless upstairs. When first looking into it i started finding comments and compatibility issues etc with xbox and ps3 and having spent several hours looking around the web and various forums i think i'm even more confused so i thought i would see if i could pick someones brain about it.

Basically i was going to buy a D-Link RangeBooster N 650 Router DIR-635 - Wireless Router as the price i saw (£60) seemed good value, the speed seems a bit overkill but if it makes it somewhat future safe then even better, however i have no idea if it's compatible with xbox live and opinions would be much appreciated..as would any advice on another router if it's considered a better option or if indeed the linksys routers mentioned would be better.

Thanks for any input guys and great forum
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 20:49   #23
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

To be honest Cronus, if it supports UPnP (and you'll struggle to find a router that won't these days) it'll work just fine. The days of worrying about router compatibility with Xbox Live are long gone.

That said, MS do list a handful of old routers that you should avoid picking up second hand :-

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...equipment.aspx

And don't worry about using an N router with the 360's G USB dongle. N is backwardly compatible with G.
caph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 21:08   #24
Cronus
Inactive

Thanks for the response caph, glad i'm worrying over nothing. The Xbox will be wired to the router as it's only 10ft away, it's the PS3 that will (hopefully) be running wireless as it's in the bedroom...
Old 21-12-2008, 17:51   #25
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

Forgot to mention that if you want to go all out crazy with WIFI speed, you can get an N wireless access point (about £40) to connect to your N router (wirelessly in bridge mode) and plug this in to your PS3. It will work just as well as the inbuilt G wifi in the PS3 apart from you'll get blazing fast N speed. Totally overkill at the moment but at least you know it's a possibility for when you upgrade to 50Mb broadband in the future!
caph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 15:50   #26
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Hi Guys and girls, hope you all had a lovely Christmas day, mine was ok but slightly marred by the fact that i couldnt get my new ps3 to connect to PSN, through the vm supplied netgear WGR614v9, it works fine just through the modem, ive tried just about everything i can possibly think off but it just wont let the connection through. heres a list of the things ive tried so far
1. ports triggering
2. dmz
3. static IP
4. enabling and disabling UPNP
5. tried connecting wirelessly and wired through ps3 settings
6. pulled hair out,

No matter what ive done it made no diff, the ps3 will connect to the internet but it wont connect to the playstation network,
my xbox works ok so i cant figure out why it wont work, bearing in mind i dont know that much about what i,m doing so i might have missed something obvious i hope....
its currently wired into router via ethernet, so ive also tried swapping cables etc. also turning off the firewall via the wifes laptop,,

A few times its given me an error code 80710092, and has said its a dns issue.

any help would be greatly appreciated,, as i came so close last night to going all fawlty towers on its ass..
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 19:13   #27
Cronus
Inactive

Thought i would just update you on my efforts......

Thanks for advise given, with time a bit short and frankly money a premium at the moment i got myself a Linksys WRT54G2. I followed the instructions to the later i.e follow the several thousand stickers on the unit telling me to run the cd first :P and setup was a dream. Connected my pc to it seamlessly, the xbox 360 connected to it seamlessly and the ps3 connected wirelessly to it flawlessly with a signal strength of 70% and secured by WPA2. I'm very happy with the choice and made all the easier with some knowledge gained from this forum...thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 18:19   #28
LisbonLion
Inactive

LisbonLion is an unknown quantity at this point

Dragon I was wondering if you can respond with some information for my partners son who is trying to set up his xbox 360 to the internet. He has run a cable 30m from his room to the computer downstairs I told him that he would be better to go with a wireless set up but he insists that it is too expensive for him. I looked into it and from what I gather he is looking at an xbox wirelss adapter and not a router which is a lot cheaper. Can you recommend to him what he should be looking at buying as I think he can use a dlink, netgear, or something similar and connect it to their BT broadband.
Thanks
Lisbonlion
LisbonLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 18:30   #29
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisbonLion View Post
Dragon I was wondering if you can respond with some information for my partners son who is trying to set up his xbox 360 to the internet. He has run a cable 30m from his room to the computer downstairs I told him that he would be better to go with a wireless set up but he insists that it is too expensive for him. I looked into it and from what I gather he is looking at an xbox wirelss adapter and not a router which is a lot cheaper. Can you recommend to him what he should be looking at buying as I think he can use a dlink, netgear, or something similar and connect it to their BT broadband.
Thanks
Lisbonlion
Either get a router that can run DD-WRT/Tomato or something that supports Client bridge mode.

Or

I think one of these would probably do the trick, it says it supports client mode
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132431

Sounds like from the reviews that it can work with an xbox360
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132431...w_order_by=RUF

Although it would probably have to be connected to the PC to set it up first.
Old 04-01-2009, 19:01   #30
LisbonLion
Inactive

LisbonLion is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dragon thanks for the reply, as I am not fully upto date in todays technology, I have been told that we have BT wireless already and I do not need a router. Not sure if this is true or not, I was told I maybe just need an adapter not sure what this means but I hope you can help. Your reply to the posts above regarding the wireless router help is it a different router that you recommended? and is this because they are connected to virgin? also what is tomatoe? can you give me more information on understanding this modem - router - xbox 360 - wireless etc so I can have a much more of a grasp in how things work.
Thanks Again
Lisbonlion
LisbonLion is offline   Reply With Quote