Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless: A danger to us all ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless: A danger to us all ?

Old 21-05-2007, 15:47   #16
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Wireless: A danger to us all ?

I agree with you there Stu.

I dont think there is a danger with wifi etc, if there was then it would've been with TV, radio etc etc etc. but I will watch the program.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2007, 15:53   #17
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

But the amount of radiation or whatever it's called is greater along the spectrum if I recall corectly ?
Hence radio waves are harmless and X-Rays are potential killers.

Halcyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 11:59   #18
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Well, what did everyone think?

While I personally think the potential danger does need serious investigation (as with any potential danger), I don't think that (if it happened as shown), the Panorama investigation was good. They appeared to have started with the premise that WiFi and mobiles are dangerous and then spent half an hour trying to prove that.

I have to admit, I am not sure if I agree with WiFi being installed in classrooms (if there is even a risk of cancer, why expose our kids to it), but that doesn't mean I don't think it is safe.

All the programme showed us was a series of (apparently) well known scientists who said WiFi was bad, one scientist who said it wasn't (who they then pointed had once worked for a mobile phone company so obviously they were saying his opinion was tainted) and a woman who said she got headaches. Then she proceeded to cover her house in tinfoil (which can be a sign of *ahem* problems).

One final point: Wouldn't covering her walls, and not the windows actually reflect the waves within the room? Therefore making the problem worse?

BTW, there is an interesting article on the programme on El Reg. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05..._science_bunk/
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 12:56   #19
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Must admit i find it scary the amount of radiation around in our world. I hadnt really thought about it too much until a few years ago when i got a PDA and realised just how many wireless networks are around. This on top of TV, Radio and mobile phones. There surely has to be a point where the human race cant take any more. I appreciate the signal levels and wave lengths should make most waves harmless, however im more worried about the cumulative effect.

Also consider microwaved food, is it really safe?
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 13:51   #20
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I have said it many times before and will continue to make sure I keep away from this technology as much as I can.

A lot of money and time has been put in by scientists looking into this and the health factor has never gone away over the years.

In a world where we now have a chance to live longer, where we don't get diseases and illnesses as often as many years ago, it looks like we are just developping other ways to make ourself ill.

Whether it be through Wifi / mobile phone radiation or chemicals and preservatives in food or washing / household products, it is one way for us to create problems and eventually lead to even death.
Even living under electricity pylons has caused people to get ill.

I think it is highly important that we have money put into a government and independant led research program right now.
We should think about restricting the amount of Wifi products being delivered to the public and also educate people more about the dangers.

If anyone built a phone mast / Wifi mast anywhere near me, I would knock it down straight away.

I think mobile masts and Wifi are secret killers.

I know a lot of people like their routers and it is true they do help in the fact that you don't need to cable up your whole house or school, but if it is going to have an effect on my health, then I say no to it.

One of the first things I intend on doing when I move house is to find out how clost I am to masts.

Halcyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 14:32   #21
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Hmm so all taxi drivers are now going to die of Cancer due to the relatively High Gain Antennas on top of their cars, hang on, I have a taxi radio next to my bed, oh noes! As has been said before, why worry? It's all a fact of life these days, enjoy it!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 21:27   #22
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Unless someone tapes their wireless router to the side of their head, what's the problem?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 22:55   #23
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Never mind wireless devices or mobile phones. Heavy electricity has been proven to be the true silent killer.
Heavy water can kill you as well. If it falls on your head lol.
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2007, 00:40   #24
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

It's a shame Dr Wadd is no longer with us. He was a bit of an expert on this issue.
Old 27-05-2007, 16:52   #25
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I think the biggest threat to anyones brain isnt a wave its a woman they really can screw your head up
I must be dyslexic as I read that all wrong

" woman, screw, head "

Good things surely not ?
Oh yeh unless she is your wife
LOL
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 17:49   #26
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Well, the BBC's editorial complaints unit has finished investigating this program, they have concluded that the programme, while essentially correct to bring up the worries presented the facts in an unbalanced way. In fact they had three scientists who were presenting the case for the notion that Wifi radiation is bad, one presenting the case against. They also unfairly called the independance of the man who was against into question. The ECU seem to have completely ignored the fact that, IIRC, one of the people presenting the case for the notion was actively engaged in selling protection gear.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ewed-wi-report
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 17:59   #27
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all

i as bin yusin wifi 4 a cupl ov munfs now n dere iz nufin rong wiv mi brane
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 18:18   #28
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1rcle View Post
It seems to have turned you into a Chav!
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 18:26   #29
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1rcle View Post
Oh god... I've been using WiFi for about 6 years! lol
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 18:34   #30
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
It seems to have turned you into a Chav!
All the chavs I know haven't the intelligence to use a pc let alone post on something as complicated as a forum. I'm not saying they're thick but they do go round with tracksuit bottoms tucked into their socks

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Oh god... I've been using WiFi for about 6 years! lol
In that case you should be dead by now. Glad to see you're not though
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote