Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting PS3 to iMac

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connecting PS3 to iMac

Old 24-11-2008, 13:41   #1
kefty
Inactive

kefty is an unknown quantity at this point
Connecting PS3 to iMac

Hi

I have just bought a PS3 which can be connected ethernet or wi-fi for online services. The PS3 is in living room next to my TV. My cable modem is on the other side of house which serves my Apple iMac, these are hard wired.

Now I undertand that my Imac has a built in Airport Express wi-fi card. How do I setup the iMac preferences so that the Airport card can provide online service to PS3?

If this is too difficult is there a way to connect the V+ box in living room to PS3, I know the USB port has been disabled..

Can anyone help please?

Kefty
kefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2008, 14:17   #2
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Connecting PS3 to iMac

I would buy a wireless router. Then you can still hard wire your PC and have your PS3 on wireless. I know you can share your internet connection in Windows but not sure in Mac. It would probably give you a fairly poor connection for internet gaming.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 14:18   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The instructions are in Mac Help. From the Finder, click Help > Mac Help and search for 'Internet Connection Sharing'.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 14:19   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I don't have a PS3 to check this with, but here is how to set up the Mac for the networking side. Assuming you have OSX 10.5 (leopard)
  1. Open System Preferences (click the Apple logo, then System Preferences)
  2. Click "Networking"
  3. Click "Airport"
  4. Now, click the box next to "Network Name", and select "Create Network"
  5. Enter a name for the network. Whether you want a password or not is up to you (I would, however, recommend you do).
  6. If you tick the password option, enter a password and select 40bit WEP or 128 bit WEP (sadly, OSX doesn't appear to support WPA on this kind of connection). Enter the password again in the Verify box.
  7. Click OK

As for setting up the PS3, someone else will have to answer that.

I would, however, like to echo the above. Using a wireless router for this sort of thing is usually a lot better.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 14:49   #5
kefty
Inactive

kefty is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thanks for the advice. I have read lots of stories that it is difficultto set up the built in Airport card on my imac so I will buy a wireless router then start again. Im off to PC World any suggestions apart from buy one suitable for a cable source (Virgin)?

I hope to play online gaming so speed will be important, Im finally going wi-fi, wahey!!

I wonder if its better getting one sent from Virgin, at my cost no doubt?

Cheers for advice

K E F T Y
kefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 15:05   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The Virgin one is not user-configurable - so if you're going to have to pay for one, you're best buying one that doesn't have their branding or their firmware on it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 15:14   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefty View Post
OK thanks for the advice. I have read lots of stories that it is difficultto set up the built in Airport card on my imac so I will buy a wireless router then start again. Im off to PC World any suggestions apart from buy one suitable for a cable source (Virgin)?

I hope to play online gaming so speed will be important, Im finally going wi-fi, wahey!!

I wonder if its better getting one sent from Virgin, at my cost no doubt?

Cheers for advice

K E F T Y
Virgin give their wireless kit away free to new customers (you get it free if you order cable, for instance) or charge £40 if you are an existing customer.

Not too sure what the VM router is like, but you can get some good ones online for less than that. Of course, the advantage with the VM one is that if you can't get it working, then VM will usually attempt to help you. If you buy a router elsewhere and have a problem, you *might* get an operator willing to help you, but it's not guaranteed.

If you opt not to buy a VM router, then Cisco/Linksys do some good ones:

The WRT-150N costs £49 including VAT, but offers N speed wireless (Wireless G offers a theoretical maximum speed of 54Meg, Wireless N raises this to 300).

The WRT-54G2 is slower than the above, but is the newest version of the WRT-54G, a router that is liked by a lot of people on this forum, and, indeed, I used one myself for years.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote