Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 21-12-2021, 15:49   #946
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Hogmanay events cancelled as Covid rules tightened

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-59745262
London's NYE plans were cancelled yesterday, New York will decide this week if it holds its famous celebration this year or not.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2021, 16:01   #947
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Also, the CDC withdraws support of the PCR test for Covid detection.
Umm, ok.
So how do they plan to test for covid then ?

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Aha, nevermind, your statement was rather misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Or, to probably word it better, the CDC has asked for its' own RT-PCR test to no longer have an FDA Emergency Use Authorisation as there are plenty of commercial tests now on the market. The CDC isn't in the business of making diagnostic tests if commercial tests are available

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 16:39   #948
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Not sure why it’d ruin my lunch. It says what I’ve said all along that variants chip away at efficacy against infection, and it’s been demonstrated the world over that efficacy wanes over time. So now we need three doses of Pfizer to get to where we used to get with two.

Presumably Delta is still the variant causing most cases in the US.

https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/1...s-biontech-ceo

As long as vaccinated people can catch and transmit the virus that has implications in terms of pandemic management and exceeding hospital capacity.
The vaccines still prevent serious illness. If you're infected it'll probably be no worse than a cold or a usual winter chest infection that most people bat off with Lemsip max strength and a bottle of covonia - just carry on with your life.

Otherwise, there would be no point whatsoever in getting vaccinated if you're going to hide away in isolation because you're scared of catching COVID, even though you're vaccinated.

Likewise, if we're going to shut everything down at the first hint of a different variant, as a precaution, especially now in a highly vaccinated population. The disease is still a mild disease, with a vaccine (even with a % of vaccine escape) it's even milder (plus the 3rd dose goes someway to mitigating that escape) or won't even affect you.

There's no need to be cancelling anything, it's over reaction by all respective governments so they can be seen to be something to avoid criticism from a rabid media.
Old 21-12-2021, 16:59   #949
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

After the rise last week, cases currently seem to be going down again.
The same with hospitalisations, and deaths are still going down (never actually went up).

This is from the Govt website (so mostly data up to Thursday/Friday last week).

I'm starting to wonder what figures they are basing their current panic on.

Old 21-12-2021, 17:07   #950
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
After the rise last week, cases currently seem to be going down again.
The same with hospitalisations, and deaths are still going down (never actually went up).

This is from the Govt website (so mostly data up to Thursday/Friday last week).

I'm starting to wonder what figures they are basing their current panic on.
They base it on worst case scenario modelling from the likes of Neil Ferguson, that has been consistently incorrect at every turn.

I’d rather employ JFmans to do predictions, at least he has got at least one correct!
Old 21-12-2021, 17:12   #951
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The predictions are based upon doing nothing. Once you start doing something, the predictions no longer apply. The aim of the predictions is for them not to come true.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 17:21   #952
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The vaccines still prevent serious illness. If you're infected it'll probably be no worse than a cold or a usual winter chest infection that most people bat off with Lemsip max strength and a bottle of covonia - just carry on with your life.

Otherwise, there would be no point whatsoever in getting vaccinated if you're going to hide away in isolation because you're scared of catching COVID, even though you're vaccinated.

Likewise, if we're going to shut everything down at the first hint of a different variant, as a precaution, especially now in a highly vaccinated population. The disease is still a mild disease, with a vaccine (even with a % of vaccine escape) it's even milder (plus the 3rd dose goes someway to mitigating that escape) or won't even affect you.

There's no need to be cancelling anything, it's over reaction by all respective governments so they can be seen to be something to avoid criticism from a rabid media.
I’m not disputing whether vaccines largely prevent serious illness or otherwise. Only pointing out that a tiny fraction of a large number of infections could easily cripple the health service - and a large number of absences in other essential services and supply chains can also have wider economic impacts.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
They base it on worst case scenario modelling from the likes of Neil Ferguson, that has been consistently incorrect at every turn.

I’d rather employ JFmans to do predictions, at least he has got at least one correct!
Let’s see when Boris bottles it on Monday if I can get that up to two.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 18:00   #953
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Well I went to the pub for my dinner today (as I always do on Tuesdays).
It was quite busy (more than usual), looked like a few office people out celebrating.

Old 22-12-2021, 00:14   #954
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

I'm glad I dont live in the new police state of Wales.

Not content with banning people from everywhere they can, they are now forcing people to WFH, with fines.
Quote:
From Monday, workers will receive a £60 fixed penalty notice and companies hit with fines of £1,000 every time they break the rule.
Quote:
Further to our long-standing advice for people to work from home wherever possible, from Monday this will now be a legal requirement to work from home unless there is a reasonable excuse not to
Of course, no definition of "a reasonable excuse" yet.

Seems they are pretty much a dictatorship, they can just do as they please with no control.
Quote:
The Welsh Conservatives economy spokesman, Paul Davies MS, said the new rules had been brought in under the radar.
Quote:
This Labour administration seems to be getting rather comfortable governing by late night press releases and tinkering with the rules without letting the public know until they've already come into force.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59741680

Old 22-12-2021, 08:10   #955
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:

Not content with banning people from everywhere they can, they are now forcing people to WFH, with fines.

Seems they are pretty much a dictatorship, they can just do as they please with no control.

It's political grandstanding. I haven't read the legislation but I guarantee you'll be able to drive a bus through the "Reasonable Excuse" clause.
Old 22-12-2021, 09:25   #956
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Do as I say ,not what I do wears pretty thin coming from government.
Old 22-12-2021, 09:38   #957
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
it does in wales https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWBKg5sfp50
Old 22-12-2021, 09:56   #958
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Hopefully, the British public will continue to do the right thing despite the recent "meetings" we've seen leaked to the press.

In positive news, Oxford and AstraZeneca are developing a vaccine to target Omicron.

Quote:
Dec 21 (Reuters) - AstraZeneca Plc (AZN.L) said on Tuesday it is working with Oxford University to produce a vaccine for the Omicron coronavirus variant, joining other vaccine-makers who are looking to develop the variant-specific vaccine.

"Together with Oxford University, we have taken preliminary steps in producing an Omicron variant vaccine, in case it is needed and will be informed by emerging data," a spokesperson for the company said in a statement.
https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ft-2021-12-21/
Old 22-12-2021, 10:27   #959
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Umm, ok.
So how do they plan to test for covid then ?

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Aha, nevermind, your statement was rather misleading.
It wasn't my statement but the article which did no say that it was only the CDC's own test.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 10:52   #960
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Just go to the pub and work from there.