Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WRT54G/Tomato/VM 10mb - QOS Settings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WRT54G/Tomato/VM 10mb - QOS Settings

Old 24-01-2009, 20:51   #1
Visibleman
Inactive

Services: TV, Phone & 20mb BB
Visibleman is an unknown quantity at this point
WRT54G/Tomato/VM 10mb - QOS Settings

Recently just changed the firmware on a Linksys WRT54Gv2.0 to Tomato v1.23 and with living in a student house of 5, the torrent abuse (from a number of house mates) slows down our 10mb VM connection. So today i've been setting up QoS and so far it seems to be working, but i'm just wondering what settings other people are using? And what you do when the STM (VM capping) starts?

Current QoS Settings / Current QoS Classification

Cheers All
Visibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2009, 20:58   #2
nutellajunkie
Inactive

nutellajunkie will become famous soon enoughnutellajunkie will become famous soon enoughnutellajunkie will become famous soon enough
Re: WRT54G/Tomato/VM 10mb - QOS Settings

Have you tried the latest firmware, its for a few extra bits n bobs to play with.

Your settings are just about the same as mine to be honest, but you obviously have a better understanding.

The Kbit/s always gets me when converting :S
nutellajunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 21:00   #3
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

You could just set the upload speed to 0 on the torrent programme(s), because with torrents that's what destroys the remaining bandwidth.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:26   #4
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiLL View Post
You could just set the upload speed to 0 on the torrent programme(s), because with torrents that's what destroys the remaining bandwidth.
Careful with that, since 0 often means unlimited. Also I think he wants a way of setting it without them knowing, or they could just change it back.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41   #5
keyholder
Inactive

Services: basic fone & L BB,
keyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about them

arhh, i can relate, my old man had a bt line, with everyone in the house except me on the net, as i had my virgin all too my self, But yet his net was always crap and slow.

i told him to get rid of it, and come onto my internet, which he has, i now have myself and 4 other people using my net. which of course 2 people use torrents 24/7

simple solution was to use my spare pc acting as a server for the house, and control the internet

something like this.....

Users - Wireless - server pc - cable modem - internet

The server / pc has to have 2 NIC cards installed & software to slow down the conection or even stop it going to the wireless, but still allowing me to use it

You cud even use ur own pc as the server / Host, whilst still giving yourself full potential to your lines use Its just another alternative instead of messing with the router, more of a simple solution so to speak

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
Careful with that, since 0 often means unlimited. Also I think he wants a way of setting it without them knowing, or they could just change it back.
Agreed, setting things to 0 in Utorrent sets it to unlimited.
keyholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:02   #6
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visibleman View Post
Recently just changed the firmware on a Linksys WRT54Gv2.0 to Tomato v1.23 and with living in a student house of 5, the torrent abuse (from a number of house mates) slows down our 10mb VM connection. So today i've been setting up QoS and so far it seems to be working, but i'm just wondering what settings other people are using? And what you do when the STM (VM capping) starts?

Current QoS Settings / Current QoS Classification

Cheers All
Unfortunately Tomato's QoS (like most home router) relies on a reliable knowledge of the upstream bandwidth. When VM pull the rug out from underneath if STM style, if falls flat leaving you back at square one.

The settings themselves look OK, although as a general rule I'd suggest keeping them as simple as possible. If you over complicate the rules you run 2 risks - first that they don't work as you expected and you can't work out why, secondly that you end up asking the router to process too much and it results in slowing down the BB connection anyway (the reason I moved from DD-WRT to Tomato originally).
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:58   #7
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
Ah yeah, I forgot about that. How about 1? :P
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 22:13   #8
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

I want to do something with packet shaping, to enable me to download from newsgroups, but still do other stuff as if I wasn't. It's not in the GUI, but it's in the command line, so it's something I'm definitely going to play with.
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote