Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | slow );

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Xbox 360 Wireless

Old 11-03-2008, 20:40   #1
Orangeclockdog
Inactive

Services: CATV V+ & 2 add V Boxes, Telco and 20Mb SACM
Orangeclockdog is on a distinguished roadOrangeclockdog is on a distinguished road
Xbox 360 Wireless

Hi,

Im looking for a little advice if possible. I am looking to connect my sons 360 to my wireless router, so he can get on xbox live.

I believe that instead of buying the 60 quid micro$oft adapter, I can connect a wireless access point to the xbox ethernet port instead. Is this straghtforward to configure? Also (without wanting sound stupid!!) what is the diffrence between a wireless access point and wireless bridge? Will either do the same job?

I'm struggling to find a definintive 'idoits' step by step guide online!!

Thanks in advance.
Orangeclockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2008, 22:10   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Xbox 360 Wireless

You'd want a wireless ethernet bridge.

Gives wireless ability to something with an ethernet port (by bridging the ethernet part of the network with the wireless part... something like that anyway).

However, from a quick look at Amazon, they don't seem much cheaper than the official MS 360 wireless adapter.

Also more complicated to set-up than the official adapter (which is actually a bridge itself, just a 360 specific one that connects via USB & integrates with the Dashboard) [a non-official bridge requires hooking up to a PC first to configure]

I think an access point (kind of... a wireless hub I suppose?) can be used, although I'm not sure of the ins & outs.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32   #3
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I think an access point (kind of... a wireless hub I suppose?) can be used, although I'm not sure of the ins & outs.
An Access Point can be used but in its firmware must have Bridging capabilities AFAIK.

Probably easier to use the MS adapter due to it being more user friendly to setup via USB & Dashboard.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:09   #4
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeclockdog View Post
.... I am looking to connect my sons 360 to my wireless router, so he can get on xbox live.....
Is a "wired" connection out of the question? Gamers are very fussy and hate "flaky" connections (so my teenage son tells me).
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 13:17   #5
Orangeclockdog
Inactive

Services: CATV V+ & 2 add V Boxes, Telco and 20Mb SACM
Orangeclockdog is on a distinguished roadOrangeclockdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Is a "wired" connection out of the question? Gamers are very fussy and hate "flaky" connections (so my teenage son tells me).
Unfortunately the router is in a downstairs room.

My son wanted the xbox live for his birthday, so I was just thinking that if there was a cheaper option than the micro$oft adapter, the money saved would buy him a game as well.

I think from the lack of response to my post the acces point isn't a viable option, so I'll just cough up for the official adapter!!

Thanks guys

Just had a thought, he has a stb in his room, can I just move the sacm,splitter, router et al to his room and hard wire the router to his xbox??? See what happens once the cogs start turning!! This would probably improve the reception on the 2 PC's upstairs as well.
Orangeclockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 22:45   #6
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Try this link, its excellent for all xbox live problems.
.http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XB...epartment=Home
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote