Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 13-04-2022, 12:27   #1576
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: All those No.10 lockdown parties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Brexit was just an example, many more have been wrong too . . whether that was down to polling the wrong people, poor 'pundit' interpretation, or simply bad wording in the poll itself who knows.

Suffice to say some people view polls as acceptable data, others see them as manipulation devices . . each to their own
Generally they’re seen as acceptable to those whose views are confirmed by them, and manipulative by those who don’t like it when the polls contradict them.

In fact, the statistical process underpinning opinion polls is very robust and their results are always delivered with caveats. It’s those who then take the results and use them for campaigning that add the veneer of either acceptability or manipulation.

For starters, there is always a margin of error. On a properly weighted sample of 1,000 this is typically +/- 3 percentage points, which from the outset should show very clearly that no poll can accurately forecast an outcome that is determined by a gap smaller than that. The Brexit referendum result was well within the polling margin of error.

Secondly, there’s the issue of properly weighting the sample. You can’t get an accurate result from interviewing the first 1,000 people you meet on the high street on a Saturday morning.* You have to have a sample that reflects the demographics of the electorate. So you have to know age/social background of your respondents. You also have to know something about their voting record on the issue at hand. That’s easier for a general election poll but next to impossible for a one-off vote like Brexit.

Again, polling experts like Prof John Curtice at Strathclyde University, who often pops up on the BBC when major voting events are afoot, are always candid about these issues. Whether they make it into the popular consciousness is another matter.

* This, incidentally, is why the “they never asked me, so they can’t be accurate in any way” objection is nonsense. You may feel like a unique individual, but at the population level you really are just a series of fairly predictable responses to major issues.
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2022, 12:36   #1577
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
"The first duty of Government is to uphold the law. If it tries to bob and weave and duck around that duty when its inconvenient, if government does that, then so will the governed, and then nothing is safe—not home, not liberty, not life itself."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 13-04-2022, 12:43   #1578
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

This generation isn’t worthy to lick her boots.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C514A9F5-F292-4905-84B8-5F55B1366E9E.jpeg (65.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Chris; 13-04-2022 at 12:47.
Old 13-04-2022, 13:05   #1579
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I don't think any generation should aspire to be subservient enough to want to link anyone's boots!
Old 13-04-2022, 13:45   #1580
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Pretty sure Dorries would do it if it was a challenge on a reality TV programme…

That’s a thought - Nadine could be our next PM, if Johnson resigns (and his machinations have made sure Sunak won’t be).

Go Nads!!!
Old 13-04-2022, 13:56   #1581
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
First it was 10 minutes, now it's 9 - by the time of the Local Elections, OLD BOY will be saying that it was a couple of seconds, and if we could all just wait for the Sue Gray report, that would confirm this...

(and when it doesn't, it will be a litany of cake/Starmer/fluff/trivia/get on with the job/whatever the latest line he gets from the Whips' WhatsApp feed)

Remember all those day/weeks/months ago when OLD BOY said we shouldn't make up our minds before we knew what the outcome of the Police investigation was, because he was keeping an open mind, and we should too - his comment above shows he was as economical with the actualite as Johnson was...

He was obviously keeping an "open mind" as long as the Police verdict agreed with his preconceived outcomes...
I was keeping an open mind because I didn’t know all the facts. I knew about this one, but didn’t consider it a breach of the rules, particularly when Starmer was not fined for having a beer with colleagues on his break. I say again, how is this any different? Is a cake more of a Covid risk than a beer?

The 10minutes has been widely quoted, but it has been clarified now that it was actually 9 minutes. Not that it makes much difference, but I like to keep up.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Quote:
Have to disagree - I know lots of people who couldn't visit relatives in care homes, didn't visit friends/families..
Yes, if only Boris didn’t see that cake. But wait….would that really have meant those families could have visited their relatives?

It is a ridiculous argument.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
The difference is Borris broke the law and Kier didn't.

You seem very keen to give us what you try to pass as absolute facts when it backs up your beliefs but when others try and do the same and you don't like it you want them to wait for the report etc.

Just accept you backed a loser, something most of us have known since the early pages of the thread.
So what was the difference between what Kier did and what Boris did? The only difference I can make out is that one was a beer and the other a cake. You don’t need to answer. I know that you cannot. You just want to get Boris out of office, and that’s all that matters to you.

Well, he’s going nowhere. Sorry to disappoint.

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
All you need to know:
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
They weren’t sorry because they were not aware they did anything wrong until all this erupted.
Old 13-04-2022, 14:52   #1582
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Old 13-04-2022, 15:25   #1583
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I was keeping an open mind because I didn’t know all the facts. I knew about this one, but didn’t consider it a breach of the rules, particularly when Starmer was not fined for having a beer with colleagues on his break. I say again, how is this any different? Is a cake more of a Covid risk than a beer?

The 10minutes has been widely quoted, but it has been clarified now that it was actually 9 minutes. Not that it makes much difference, but I like to keep up.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Yes, if only Boris didn’t see that cake. But wait….would that really have meant those families could have visited their relatives?

It is a ridiculous argument.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

So what was the difference between what Kier did and what Boris did? The only difference I can make out is that one was a beer and the other a cake. You don’t need to answer. I know that you cannot. You just want to get Boris out of office, and that’s all that matters to you.

Well, he’s going nowhere. Sorry to disappoint.

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

They weren’t sorry because they were not aware they did anything wrong until all this erupted.
I know you are only repeating the CCHQ party line, but repeating that argument (cake) only makes you look as shallow & callous as they are…

It’s irrelevant whether there was cake - it’s relevant that they repeatedly broke the rules and laws that they repeatedly insisted that everyone should followed, then denied/lied that they had ever done so…

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CF188FCB-3EDA-4272-A312-90B508EA7872.jpeg (44.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Hugh; 13-04-2022 at 15:29.
Old 13-04-2022, 15:50   #1584
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Just for the sake of transparency, are you actually engaging with a discussion here or are you simply feeding approved CCHQ “lines to take” into the thread?

Because I’m increasingly under the impression that I’m just talking to a press release and it’s getting a bit tedious.
Old 13-04-2022, 16:11   #1585
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Pretty sure Dorries would do it if it was a challenge on a reality TV programme
If it was Boris's boots I'm sure she would be on the case. She might face some tough competition though.

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Quote:
Just for the sake of transparency, are you actually engaging with a discussion here or are you simply feeding approved CCHQ “lines to take” into the thread?

Because I’m increasingly under the impression that I’m just talking to a press release and it’s getting a bit tedious.
The only rational answer is that Old Boy is on a Forum wind-up.
Old 13-04-2022, 16:13   #1586
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I know you are only repeating the CCHQ party line, but repeating that argument (cake) only makes you look as shallow & callous as they are…

It’s irrelevant whether there was cake - it’s relevant that they repeatedly broke the rules and laws that they repeatedly insisted that everyone should followed, then denied/lied that they had ever done so…

Deliberately avoiding that difficult question - what was the difference between what Boris did and what Kier did? It was essentially the cake wot did it. Somehow, that makes it a party.
Old 13-04-2022, 16:13   #1587
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EdwinaCurrie.jpg (45.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 13-04-2022, 16:14   #1588
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Deliberately avoiding that difficult question - what was the difference between what Boris did and what Kier did? It was essentially the cake wot did it. Somehow, that makes it a party.
The difference is that the evidence the Police gathered showed that one broke the rules, and the other didn't.

You seem to have difficulty accepting the fact that the Police believe the evidence shows the rules were broken - wonder why?
Old 13-04-2022, 16:15   #1589
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

H’mm. Maybe that’s because you are ignoring the elephant in the room.

Cake/beer. His colleagues definitely should have stuck with the beer.
Old 13-04-2022, 16:24   #1590
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

I like the line that they didn't know what they were doing was against the rules. Boris Johnson was educated at Eton and Oxford, while Rishi Sunak was educated at Winchester, Oxford and Stanford. If they didn't understand the rules in place at the time, what hope did people who went to their local comprehensive and left at 16?

At the very least, you would think shrewd political operators would never put themselves in a position where there was even the possibility of looking like you did something wrong, even if it is within the rules
Closed Thread