Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contract upgrade advice wanted

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Contract upgrade advice wanted

Old 13-03-2010, 11:45   #1
Argy1
Inactive

Argy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Contract upgrade advice wanted

Help/advice wanted

I signed up for a 18 month contract with VM Mobile in May last year,
am on a XXL so entitled to VM deal, bought the phone (nokia 5800) for £84 on a 18 month contract at £12 a month

It's been 10 months and paid 10 payments, but wish to upgrade to the HTC HD2 on £30 a month because I seem to have outgrown my Nokia 5800

Have done some research online and it seem that me to move to new contract I have to pay a EFT. Am not trying to wriggle out of my original contract, I agreed to the contract so should see it through!

from my research, am trying to work out my EFT fee before I phone up to try and upgrade

I have 8 payments left at 12 per month = £96
from my research I can take off the VAT - this will give me my early termination fee (ETF).= £79.20

If paying ETF in one lump sum, from my research again should be able to get a
further 25% discount due to Ofcom guidelines, bringing the actual amount down further to £59.40

Am going to phone up VM mobile to ask but like to be prepared first, can anyone who has knowledge/experience of this please advise if I'm on the right track or barking up the wrong tree, and also if VM mobile will even let me upgrade to new contract
Argy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2010, 13:54   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Contract upgrade advise wanted

If you are upgrading they should bite your hand off call 789 and find out.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 17:29   #3
Argy1
Inactive

Argy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Contract upgrade advise wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
If you are upgrading they should bite your hand off call 789 and find out.

Well I tried, I phoned up and explained, the guy went off to find out if I was telling the truth ref early termination fee : is amount of months left on contract X monthly payments left - VAT and - 25% early payment discount
+ whatever showing on my account I owe this month on top of monthy tariff

so I have 8 months left at £12 a month = £96
less VAT = £79.20
less early payment discount ( source ofcom) of 25% = £59.40
plus add on what shows I owe on my account this month on top of £12 tariff
which is £5

grand total I make the early termination fee of £64.40

expained all this to the guy from virginmobile that I wanted to pay this
ETF and upgrade to a £30 a month contract but he was having none of it

he agreed that I have 8 payments left at £12 a month but said that I owed another £45 on top of the £96 (8 x £12) but he couldn't explain why or how I owed this extra money...I told him that I was on the account page for my phone on the internet which shows I owed £5

we were going around in circles, in the end I thanked him and ended the call...I want to pay a reasonable ETF and upgrade my contract from £12 a month to £30, as Moldova put it earlier you would have thought they would have wanted to help me
Argy1 is offline   Reply With Quote