Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Price rises this year.

Old 28-01-2023, 14:10   #16
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Price rises this year.

The removal of the ability to cancel the contract if you do not accept a price rise is a big issue, you are effectively subject to whatever Virgin decides to do, price wise, for the term of your contact. I don’t like the thought of Virgin having their fingers in my wallet. Time to consider other broadbands options I think.

I have not received any formal notification from Virgin yet.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-01-2023, 14:17   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
you are effectively subject to whatever Virgin decides to do, price wise, for the term of your contact.
From next year it's RPI+3.9% each April same as it is for O2 contracts.

That T&C change is included within the notification about this year's change so applies once the RTC ends for you.

Last edited by BenMcr; 28-01-2023 at 14:21.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 14:26   #18
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
YouFibre go live in my area in February and they promise no, in contract, price increases. I only have broadband from Virgin so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue to move, I have been with Virgin for quite some time and have never had any issues with their broadband however, I am a pensioner and want to keep control of my financial outgoings.
Old 28-01-2023, 15:10   #19
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
YouFibre go live in my area in February and they promise no, in contract, price increases. I only have broadband from Virgin so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue to move, I have been with Virgin for quite some time and have never had any issues with their broadband however, I am a pensioner and want to keep control of my financial outgoings.
Think VM might have miscalculated for their BB customers given the increased competition now.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 15:26   #20
Peter729
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No notification here yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Think VM might have miscalculated for their BB customers given the increased competition now.
I agree, I live in a small market town and there’s no shortage of alternatives, why put up with price rises when there are alternative options available.

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Quote:
I agree, I live in a small market town and there’s no shortage of alternatives, why put up with price rises when there are alternative options available.
This is the promise that attracts me

Why YouFibre?
We are a true full fibre broadband provider, supplying homes and businesses across the UK with ultrafast and ultra-affordable internet. Customer happiness is our number one priority and we promise to never increase the price you pay mid-contract.
Old 28-01-2023, 18:20   #21
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The removal of the ability to cancel the contract if you do not accept a price rise is a big issue, you are effectively subject to whatever Virgin decides to do, price wise, for the term of your contact. I don’t like the thought of Virgin having their fingers in my wallet. Time to consider other broadbands options I think.

I have not received any formal notification from Virgin yet.
Very few providers do not have these terms . At least I am out of contact, see no point in renewing,
Old 28-01-2023, 19:37   #22
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Some people had no rise at all last year
I had none. New Volt contract agreed last January that runs until June and no increase to date. If they match the price currently being offered to new customers £79 I’ll be happy to renew

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

That T&C change is included within the notification about this year's change so applies once the RTC ends for you.
It’s RPI rather than CPI, which means VM rises in future will be larger than other suppliers
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 21:20   #23
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

It'll be interesting to see if VM change their tune if customers start leaving in droves. It does seem as time goes by BT are infiltrating VM only areas.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 21:24   #24
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
It'll be interesting to see if VM change their tune if customers start leaving in droves. It does seem as time goes by BT are infiltrating VM only areas.
They'll do the usual, offer slightly cheaper deals if the punter signs up for 18 months. Folks are seeing through that, particularly with RPI+3.9% increases and no cancellation option in future.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 00:39   #25
Paddy1
cf.addict

Paddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the cancel dance every year for longer that I can remember. The change in terms is a deal breaker for me. There's no way I'm signing up for 18 months with a guaranteed price rise after 12 that I can't do anything about.

I've already decided my land line number is going to VOIP and I don't care about the Tv because the only channels I watch are on freeview anyway.
Paddy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 11:23   #26
HughA
cf.member

HughA is an unknown quantity at this point

No notification for me yet and I have another year to go on my contract. Fortunately Lit Fibre has become available to me recently and they are offering 3 months free and 40% reduction for the rest of the contract. I'm almost hoping Virgin send me an increase email so that I can move to Lit sooner! I'll have the hassle of moving my Virgin phone number to a VOIP provider as Lit don't offer phone. I've been looking at Vonage, anyone have experience of them or recommend another reliable provider?
HughA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 13:25   #27
nialli
cf.geek

nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

It’s not like VM is breaking new ground with T&Cs here.
“BT is expected to increase its monthly prices by nearly 15% on 31st March 2023. This is the largest the UK has seen for broadband in decades, after combining the latest CPI inflation rate of 10.5% with BT's built-in price increase of 3.9%.
However, if you’re a BT customer, you may have agreed to an annual price rise when you signed up, as it's often part of BT's terms and conditions. This means it's unlikely you’ll be able to cancel your contract without having to pay an expensive exit fee.
Customers of BT’s other broadband brands, Plusnet and EE Broadband, are subject to the same annual price increase percentage on the 31st March. The annual BT price increase affects the majority of its residential broadband customers, as the policy is now part of its T&Cs. All new BT customers who signed up or re-contracted with BT after September 2020 would have been subject to an annual price increase in line with inflation plus an additional 3.9%.
This means that you won’t be able to end your contract early without paying an early termination fee. However, you might find that if you're approaching the end of your contract, you could save money overall by paying a few months' worth of early exit fees and moving onto a cheaper broadband deal.” https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/gu...-consumers-do/
Sky increases still to be announced.
Old 29-01-2023, 15:09   #28
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Very few providers do not have these terms . At least I am out of contact, see no point in renewing,
Wondering what you people think ,happy with what I am getting so not looking for anything to be added. Happy to lose landline , like that will happen, and bring down cost. What discount should I try for ? If l sign on again , but wouldn't try until the increase is advised. So would be looking at another hit after 12 months.
Old 29-01-2023, 18:24   #29
nialli
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Wondering what you people think ,happy with what I am getting so not looking for anything to be added. Happy to lose landline , like that will happen, and bring down cost. What discount should I try for ? If l sign on again , but wouldn't try until the increase is advised. So would be looking at another hit after 12 months.
I’m out of contract in June so I’ll review my options then. I’m on Volt and I’m probably looking at an extra tenner a month, which ain’t too bad as I’ve had no other increases since I signed my contract 13 months ago.
When negotiating I aim to get the price they’re offering new customers, currently £79/m for everything including an unlimited O2 SIM. I also get myself quotes from Sky and NOW before phoning Retentions so I’m fully armed. (Sky Stream plus bb and phone was £85/m when I last enquired)
Seven years ago I was paying VM £137/m but since then every call has brought the price down. I currently pay £85/m.

Last edited by nialli; 29-01-2023 at 18:30.
Old 30-01-2023, 14:45   #30
stann0
cf.member

stann0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got an email this morning advising my price would increase by £11 from 1st April. As my 18-month contract was fixed at £29 in December that would be a 38% increase. To say I was furious is putting it mildly. I rang retentions and thankfully came to a satisfactory agreement.

There must be people who just suck up these increases without questioning them.
stann0 is offline   Reply With Quote