Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky SD viewers told to upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky SD viewers told to upgrade

Old 22-12-2022, 01:34   #1
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Sky SD viewers told to upgrade

Sky wants SD viewers to upgrade to Sky Q at no extra cost to watch Local BBC News from January 2023.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/bbcupgrade

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

What to do if you’re affected?

*Sky are telling viewers to upgrade to Sky Q at no extra cost.

*Sky engineers will install Sky Q on a date that suits you.

*There’ll be no change to your Sky TV package or pricing.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2022, 13:45   #2
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Thumbs down

I think it blows they are trying to force everyone off SD...

Some people LIKE ME dont give a good crap for HD!!

I have always enjoyed SD and always will..........
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 14:45   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky SD viewers told to upgrade

Does SkyQ have a SCART socket?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 14:59   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Does SkyQ have a SCART socket?
Sly will have to supply those with old scart TVs with free Sly Glass sets haha
Old 22-12-2022, 15:39   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

... or an HDMI to SCART convertor lead

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 15:52   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
... or an HDMI to SCART convertor lead
Have you seen one that converts digital to analogue? loads out there that will convert analogue to digital but not bi directionally

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

The difference is Analogue to Digital Video costs about £10 but Digital to Analogue is £240 to £500

You could go to VGA if the tv supports it but lose audio then VGA to scart but you would have find a different route for Audio

It looks like HDMI to composite then composite to Scart is doable

Found one that claims to do it https://www.amazon.co.uk/MISOTT-Conv...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Just in case anyone here is in the position which I do doubt hahaha

Last edited by Jaymoss; 22-12-2022 at 15:59.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 16:42   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Have you seen one that converts digital to analogue?
AFAIK, Yes.
This was the one I came across when I did a search.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yizhet-Conv...dp/B0897559WR/

Old 01-03-2023, 21:11   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I've just sorted this for elderly neighbours.

They have a Sky+ box and a Sky+HD box.

The BBC is closing down all its SD channels between Jan1st and the end of April.

They had lost 2 Scottish BBC channels they watch on the Sky+ box, so I had a chat with customer services and was told their records say they have 2 HD boxes, so she has marked one as dead, and they will exchange it for an HD box, free of charge.

They have no internet, so it was the only option open to them.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 15:15   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My Niece and her girlfriend are having Sky Q installed tomorrow, they got a deal through a company that they got insurance with it includes BB & Netflix, all for about £40 pm
Old 08-03-2023, 18:39   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

I wonder how long it will be before they try and force Sky+HD customers to convert.

Old 06-12-2023, 00:57   #11
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

RUMOUR: Sky Cinema may go HD only from March 2024.

https://www.satandpcguy.com/2023/11/...digibox-users/

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

Quote:
I wonder how long it will be before they try and force Sky+HD customers to convert.
Sky are now forcing Sky+ HD customers to go to SkyQ.

From January - confirmed so far by BBC and ITV:

8th - All BBC TV and Radio axe on SD Boxes.

9th - ITV1 Border Scotland, ITV1 Channel Islands, UTV, ITV1 Wales, ITV3, ITV4 and ITVBe SD Channels all closing.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

All BBC & 7 ITV Channels are going HD only in January so anyone with an SD-only receiver now need to contact Sky to get help updating to HD:

-Sky: 0333 759 1018 / http://sky.com/help

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 06-12-2023 at 01:01.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:30   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post

From January - confirmed so far by BBC and ITV:
Confirmed where ?
Are you making this up ?

I have Sky+ HD and they have made no mention of forcing me to upgrade.
I know several other people with it, and they have had no such communication.

As it happens, the disk on one of my boxes died, so I'm moving soon anyway, but not becasue of Sky forcing me, I could have bought a replacement box.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:21   #13
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Confirmed where ?
Are you making this up ?

I have Sky+ HD and they have made no mention of forcing me to upgrade.
I know several other people with it, and they have had no such communication.

As it happens, the disk on one of my boxes died, so I'm moving soon anyway, but not becasue of Sky forcing me, I could have bought a replacement box.
BBC - https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work...g/news/hd-2023

ITV - https://www.itv.com/presscentre/pres...der-scotland-0

Sky - https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/1970...oming-in-2024/

But Paul your box will/would work fine after the changes listed - it only Sky + (SD) boxes.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 06-12-2023 at 02:32.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:27   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
No, they are not.
No one is being forced off the Sky+ HD service.

Those [and you] are referring to Sky SD - My posts all clearly state Sky+ HD

They have killed some of the old interactive services on them, but nothing I ever used.
As I previously noted, I've decided to move to Sky Q by my own choice, later this month.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:54   #15
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
No, they are not.
No one is being forced off the Sky+ HD service.
I certainaly hope not!!

When AT&T bought DIrercTV they tried to force me to get thier HD crap and I treeid saying I didnt want it,I liked my SD box...... Well then they wanted me to goto 1 of thier SD boxs which was crap compared to mine... It was slower and not as nice!!

I just ended up getting rid of it.......

I wass paying about £39 a month and didnt watch anything anyway really....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote