Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Requesting Help on Cable Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Damage to wall

Old 08-02-2007, 22:08   #1
Mot
Inactive

Services: 2MB Broadband
Mot is an unknown quantity at this point
Damage to wall

I had NTL installed 2 and a half weeks ago and since then the area around the box in our bedroom has succumbed to damp. The paint is bubbling and peeling around and below the box and has turned black with mould which comes off on fingers if touched.

The only thing I can think of is that the hole where the cable comes through isn't sealed properly and moisture is getting through from the outside.

Is it NTL's responsibility to fix this? And more importantly will they?
Mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2007, 22:19   #2
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
Re: Damage to wall

Your probably right. Whenever a wall is drilled, the hole should be lower on the outside than the inside. This prevents water seeping along the cable into the room. Again, the cable should enter the hole from below, to prevent water running down the cable & entering the hole. The hole should be sealed using a silicone sealant. Its basic common sense. Certainly its the installers responsibility, & NTL, after all, they were acting as agents for NTL. If this hasnt been done, I would get em back.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:14   #3
awibble
Inactive

Services: FreeView FreeSat SKY+ (6 Mix) BT Phone (comming soon) V+ XL - TV XL - PHONE XL - BB SKY-MOV
awibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant future

from other install type things, check what you signed, it may be that when they installed it you signed something to say you where happy with the installation.
awibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:02   #4
Mot
Inactive

I wasn't there during the install but it is possible that something was signed to say we were happy with it (if something was signed, I wasn't left with a copy).

However, as a consumer, it's only really possible to sign off on the fact that 1) yes, there is a box on the wall and it looks neat and 2) the cable is running neatly from the box to the requested location.

It's not possible for me to check that the hole has been sealed appropriately or is on the correct angle - somehow I don't think NTL would be happy with me removing the the boxes inside or out to check their work.

A supervisor is meant to be calling me so we will see what comes from that.
Old 12-02-2007, 20:25   #5
Mot
Inactive

Well the good news is that someone from NTL came around today to check my complaint.

The bad news is that they didn't tell me they were coming so no one was home.

So much for the supervisor giving me a call. At least they're trying I suppose. I guess I'll have to wait on hold for a while tomorrow again...