Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is Virgin still crap?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is Virgin still crap?

Old 27-01-2023, 19:12   #16
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Is Virgin still crap?

I'm happy with the internet part, but not much else, including price changing and the 18 month dance to get a half decent deal.

All is not lost though, after forever with no competition BT Openreach will have got fibre in by the time of the next contract renewal. Given that I only actually need Internet and nothing else, and VM actively penalise you if you don't have their all inclusive packages, I'll be giving very serious consideration to going with Openreach.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-01-2023, 01:33   #17
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Their service has been fine for me, for 22 years.
However, their prices may end up driving me away.

I now have FTTP as my backup, and its also working perfectly.
Their 900M is cheaper than VM (and far better upload speed as well).

When my current contract runs out (or even a month or two before) I'll be considering dropping VM.

[ My contract and discount finish at the end of August ]

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 09:43   #18
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

When my current contract runs out (or even a month or two before) I'll be considering dropping VM.

I completely agree, service side, VM has been very good, it's the damned pricing that just kills it.

It'll be odd for me with VM being literally the only game in town for many years to have Openreach rolled out in the next 1-2 yrs and of course Openreach allow many other service providers to use their infrastructure, like. Sky, BT, Vodafone, TalkTalk, Zen, and Plusnet.

I'm hoping that competition will be intense and I'll be in a good position finally after having to either suck up any shit VM deals or go to something like a 7Mb ADSL instead.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 09:48   #19
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Your statement is not congruent with actuality…

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...-tv-complaints

They were the most complained about provider for Pay TV, but not for Broadband and Telephony - Talk Talk, Vodafone, & Shell Energy had more Broadband complaints, Talk Talk and Shell Energy had more landline complaints, and BT Mobile had more Mobile complaints.

I believe that VM really need to up their Customer Service, especially their complaints handling, but I think you are letting your animus towards VM colour your statements.
Old 28-01-2023, 19:56   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
BB is fine, tv overpriced, and CS has got even worse.
TV overpriced? Talking Pictures is as cheap as chips, you old skinflint!

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

People complain, as they do, but for me the TV service with the 360 box is brilliant. I just wish they provided a streaming / terrestrial option with all popular streamers available, together with a universal search facility.

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Your statement is not congruent with actuality…

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...-tv-complaints

They were the most complained about provider for Pay TV, but not for Broadband and Telephony - Talk Talk, Vodafone, & Shell Energy had more Broadband complaints, Talk Talk and Shell Energy had more landline complaints, and BT Mobile had more Mobile complaints.

I believe that VM really need to up their Customer Service, especially their complaints handling, but I think you are letting your animus towards VM colour your statements.
It should be emphasised (as you have hinted at) that the complaints were mainly from people who were complaining.

I think I get the picture. Why don’t they just leave?
Old 28-01-2023, 21:45   #21
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
.... the complaints were mainly from people who were complaining.
Ummmm, what ?
All the complaints would be from people complaining, obviously.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 22:14   #22
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Price rises and awful customer service drove me away to FTTP and a cheapo Sky deal. Now there is an altnet also putting fibre on the poles around here I've got even more choice so I'll never consider virgin for broadband again until they begin to get away from the old cable technology that isn't a patch on FTTP for latency/jitter.

Might go back to them for TV as Sky Q is pants compared to Tivo on the V6, but VM have gotten rid of Tivo too so not entirely sure I'd bother. Plus you have to take their broadband which would just be pointless.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 18:15   #23
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Ummmm, what ?
All the complaints would be from people complaining, obviously.
What I meant was the complaints to Ofcom were made in relation to the way their complaint was handled by Virgin Media. Sorry that wasn't clear.
Old 29-01-2023, 19:07   #24
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I completely agree, service side, VM has been very good, it's the damned pricing that just kills it.

It'll be odd for me with VM being literally the only game in town for many years to have Openreach rolled out in the next 1-2 yrs and of course Openreach allow many other service providers to use their infrastructure, like. Sky, BT, Vodafone, TalkTalk, Zen, and Plusnet.
BT is expected to increase its monthly prices by nearly 15% on 31st March 2023. This is the largest the UK has seen for broadband in decades, after combining the latest CPI inflation rate of 10.5% with BT's built-in price increase of 3.9%.
However, if you’re a BT customer, you may have agreed to an annual price rise when you signed up, as it's often part of BT's terms and conditions. This means it's unlikely you’ll be able to cancel your contract without having to pay an expensive exit fee.
Customers of BT’s other broadband brands, Plusnet and EE Broadband, are subject to the same annual price increase percentage on the 31st March. The annual BT price increase affects the majority of its residential broadband customers, as the policy is now part of its T&Cs. All new BT customers who signed up or re-contracted with BT after September 2020 would have been subject to an annual price increase in line with inflation plus an additional 3.9%.
This means that you won’t be able to end your contract early without paying an early termination fee. However, you might find that if you're approaching the end of your contract, you could save money overall by paying a few months' worth of early exit fees and moving onto a cheaper broadband deal.” https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/gu...-consumers-do/
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 13:54   #25
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

You've hit the nail on the head, I have never had a problem with the service but I am fed up with their pricing.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 14:53   #26
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
You've hit the nail on the head, I have never had a problem with the service but I am fed up with their pricing.
I am now on FTTP and service is more consistent and cheaper with a far better upload speed.

Been gone from VM after being a Cable customer for 20+ years straight.

Pricing was unrealistic and are which was once fine started to have more and more issues with bandwidth and latency.
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 00:24   #27
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
You say jittery, which is usually a feature of DOCSIS. They haven't yet moved away from that, so yes, it'll still have jitter. FTTP is the best readily available connection type if you want the least amount of jitter and VM are supposed to be transitioning to it eventually - but it won't happen quickly!

Will it be better than you had previously? Perhaps if there was a fault or overutilization, or you get a new hub without a better chipset. But the only way to tell would be to try them again and bail out within the cancellation period if you aren't happy.
This is probably the closest answer to the question i was asking but thank you all for your input.

Indeed, i have no need for TV or any other service other than internet, which by the sound of things generally "quality wise" (if you're not judging just on throughput) still sounds inferior to the alternative due to the jitter introduced by the DOCSIS standard. From what i can see they only just finished upgrading to 3.1 from 3.0 a short while ago and from what i can also gather is they have 4.0 on the horizon. Might be worth seeing how that goes before i think of migrating back.

I already have FTTP with my current provider so i think ill just sit on that for a few more years and see what VM have up their wizard's sleeve.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 01:58   #28
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

In a few years Virgin will offer higher inflation busting prices, phone & TV via the Internet only and offer even higher speeds.

There will, thankfull, be more competition, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Companies generally seem to be in it to make a quick buck these day's and sell them on after a few years, so Virgin may even have a new owner.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 14:49   #29
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

The broadband is good when it works, the customer service is an absolute disgrace I've never experienced anything worse than them, the constant price rises at every chance they get.

Last edited by punkrock101; 11-02-2023 at 14:53.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 18:03   #30
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
The broadband is good when it works, the customer service is an absolute disgrace I've never experienced anything worse than them, the constant price rises at every chance they get.
Totally agree.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote