Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which is better Sky Q or Sky+?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Which is better Sky Q or Sky+?

Old 17-11-2020, 23:01   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Which is better Sky Q or Sky+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I'm also about to jump ship to Sky Q next month. I'm now in a position where I can save a couple of ££ a month (sans the install fee) moving across as I was on a legacy package with Sky+. Now that UHD has been decoupled from multi-room which I don't need! So was a bit of a no brainer. I can report back on how I find it!
Thank you Bob, that would be very useful.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-11-2020, 14:22   #17
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

In terms of Sky+ here are my thoughts:

- Reliable for the most part and straight forward to use - it generally just works
- PQ is excellent - does a much better job than my parent's V6 (much cleaner image)
- It has got slower as they've tried to make the interface more image based
- Some of the menu nav in the On Demand sections are poor
- I find Series Links iffy if you're expecting it to record a new series - it more often than not fails - it certainly has nowhere near the flexibility of the V6 (and I'm guessing Sky Q)

But you are going to be moving to a platform whose days are numbered, so it seems silly not to move to the latest given Sky Q is at least a more mature platform.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:32   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
In terms of Sky+ here are my thoughts:

- Reliable for the most part and straight forward to use - it generally just works
- PQ is excellent - does a much better job than my parent's V6 (much cleaner image)
- It has got slower as they've tried to make the interface more image based
- Some of the menu nav in the On Demand sections are poor
- I find Series Links iffy if you're expecting it to record a new series - it more often than not fails - it certainly has nowhere near the flexibility of the V6 (and I'm guessing Sky Q)

But you are going to be moving to a platform whose days are numbered, so it seems silly not to move to the latest given Sky Q is at least a more mature platform.
Thanks for your feedback. I've heard that series links can be a bit iffy on Sky Q, but as the days of the TiVo software are also numbered, there's nothing to keep me when this is replaced by the (IMO) inferior software. This and the abysmal customer service to the point it's now impossible to do business with them means I have to leave VM when I can legally break the contract or when it expires.

I've decided to go for Sky Q at least for the minimum 18 month term. This will get me the wiring in place for the new Freesat 4K box for £10 at most (should be about £160-£200).

If I like it and they offer me a deal I can't refuse, i'll stay. If not, i'll go to Freesat and use Now TV for the odd occasion I want pay TV
Old 09-12-2020, 09:39   #19
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I've heard that series links can be a bit iffy on Sky Q, but as the days of the TiVo software are also numbered, there's nothing to keep me when this is replaced by the (IMO) inferior software. This and the abysmal customer service to the point it's now impossible to do business with them means I have to leave VM when I can legally break the contract or when it expires.

I've decided to go for Sky Q at least for the minimum 18 month term. This will get me the wiring in place for the new Freesat 4K box for £10 at most (should be about £160-£200).

If I like it and they offer me a deal I can't refuse, i'll stay. If not, i'll go to Freesat and use Now TV for the odd occasion I want pay TV
Just make sure your Freesat box is compatible with a wideband LNB or ask Sky to install a dish with a hybrid LNB but I understand they no longer supply the hybrids.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:36   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Just make sure your Freesat box is compatible with a wideband LNB or ask Sky to install a dish with a hybrid LNB but I understand they no longer supply the hybrids.
Thanks, I will do. I actually have a Freesat HD box that I will use as a backup in case the Sky Q box becomes faulty, so i'll see if I can somehow have a hybrid LNB installed.
Old 10-03-2021, 21:21   #21
holbrookged

Services: Sky

Everythjng i read about SkyQ sounds great but if we upgrade from Sky+ we lose days worth of recordings from the Sky+ box
Old 10-03-2021, 21:36   #22
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbrookged View Post
Everythjng i read about SkyQ sounds great but if we upgrade from Sky+ we lose days worth of recordings from the Sky+ box
You'd either need to watch everything first or depending on where you recorded it from it may be available to download to the stb.