Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router hell.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router hell.

Old 14-05-2012, 20:47   #1
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Router hell.

Hi guys,

I'm having problems connecting to routers. I can't connect either wirelessly or hard wired. If I wire direct to the modem, everything is fine, but nothing through routers. I've tried two routers and I have the same problem. I've reset the damned things half a dozen times but nothing. I can't even connect to the routers to get at the settings. Any ideas? Like I say, everything is fine when I connect direct to the modem. I've also noticed that my laptop seems to freeze when I try to click on the network icon.
Running Win7 64 bit.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2012, 20:55   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Router hell.

Is the wireless enabled on the routers?

Mine wasn't.
Old 14-05-2012, 20:58   #3
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. But would this also affect hard wired?
Old 14-05-2012, 21:24   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

are you using 1 system to connect to the routers or have you tried other systems?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 21:34   #5
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

My mobile and my PS3 both connected without any problem. I've just had a notification from Windows telling me to turn my firewall on (didn't realise it was OFF). When I clicked on firewall, my system crashed. Twice. Then I rebooted and now everything has connected straight away. What the hell is going on? I did a complete reformat at the weekend hoping to resolve this frustrating issue but it has continued.
Old 14-05-2012, 21:43   #6
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

misconfiguration, virus
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 14:48   #7
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Sounds like spyware to me... theres some very sophisticated malware out there right now. Some looks like legit windows messages when in fact they aren't. I would suggest a complete re-install of windows to make sure its completely clean.

Its definitely not an issue with the routers! Especially if other devices are OK
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 17:45   #8
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Sounds like spyware to me... theres some very sophisticated malware out there right now. Some looks like legit windows messages when in fact they aren't. I would suggest a complete re-install of windows to make sure its completely clean.

Its definitely not an issue with the routers! Especially if other devices are OK
I did a full, clean re-install at the weekend but the problem remains the same. Oh well, never mind. Thanks for the efforts guys x
Old 15-05-2012, 19:25   #9
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Are you running a security suite that also contains a firewall? Running that and the windows firewall together can give connection issues.

If you try a wired connection to the router what shows as the result of 'ipconfig /all'
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 20:32   #10
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Are you running a security suite that also contains a firewall? Running that and the windows firewall together can give connection issues.

If you try a wired connection to the router what shows as the result of 'ipconfig /all'
OP Previously stated that wired networking didn't work either.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 22:10   #11
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
OP Previously stated that wired networking didn't work either.
Yeah, I saw that. The ipconfig can still give a clue. Either a fallback IP or no network card found can assist with faultfinding.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 11:01   #12
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

All I've got is the free Avast antivitus.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:11   #13
rpjjuk
Inactive

Services: Virgin
rpjjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this as I had a similar problem.
Unplug all the cables between the router, Modem and PC/Laptop.
Reset the router to default. There should be a small hole somewhere which you can push a pin into to reset the router, see the router manual.

Router should reboot. Leave router on. Boot you PC/Laptop and open a command prompt (dos window) Type ipconfig /release and press enter. This will release the IP address assigned by the cable modem.
Close the command prompt and shut down the PC/Laptop

Next plug the PC/Laptop into one of the routers LAN ports (NOT the WAN port)
Switch the PC/Laptop on.
Wait a couple of minutes and open the IP address for the router in a web browser. The router IP should be in the manual (typical IP address is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1) This should give you the router configuration pages.
Find an option that says 'Clone MAC address' or 'Copy PC MAC address' or 'Use PC MAC address'. Clone the PC MAC address. Make sure the MAC address shown changes. Save changes and log out of the router and switch it off.

Disconnect the PC/Laptop from the router. Switch off the modem, plug the router into the modem using the routers WAN port. Switch the modem on and then the router. Wait a couple of minutes and connect you PC/Laptop to the router via one of the LAN ports.
This might work as the modem could be rejecting your routers MAC address. When you have cloned the PC/Laptop address onto the router the modem thinks the router is the PC/Laptop not a new device.
On some routers I have installed I have only had to shut down the modem for 5 minutes, boot it up again, plug in the router and it will accept it ok.
Sorry if I seem to be telling you the obvious but I have no idea how much you know so have to assume you are a novice. No disrespect to you.
rpjjuk is offline   Reply With Quote