Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Setting up a VPN?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up a VPN?

Old 05-01-2014, 18:52   #16
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Setting up a VPN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I don't know if Plex media server has a built-in web server. You can't surf to a PC if you don't have a web server running on it.

If Plex does have a webserver then you need to go to http://IP.of.PC:1723/ in a web browser.

If you just want to see files on the computer you need to use an app that supports SMB shares, share something on the PC, then configure the app as required. There is no standard format for that.

Thanks. I tried the URL syntax you suggested, with and without Plex running. No joy in either case.

I believe that Plex has a web server.

Inevitably my early attempts were within the home network, so, for testing purposes I logged into next door's BTFON hotspot. Still no joy.

I don't want to go for a third party VPN facility like logmein, if I can avoid it. It's so much better to do it yourself if you can.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2014, 03:34   #17
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Logmein is not a VPN, it has nothing to do with VPN.

What exactly are you trying to do?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:05   #18
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Logmein is not a VPN, it has nothing to do with VPN.

What exactly are you trying to do?
Logmein allows you to access your desktop remotely, but also to access files if you want to pay for it. I want to access my desktop remotely. Very rarely I may wish to transfer a small file, but generally I can do this by emailing myself from my desktop. I understand that VPN will allow me to access my desktop.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:21   #19
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

No, VPN has nothing to do with that.

What you want to do is use something like Splashtop streamer (app and server).
Old 06-01-2014, 17:50   #20
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No, VPN has nothing to do with that.

What you want to do is use something like Splashtop streamer (app and server).

Thank you.

Have just investigated Splashtop streamer. This is what I needed, albeit at £1.29 a month.

If VPN can't be configured to do this, what does it do apart from accessing files?
Old 06-01-2014, 18:15   #21
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

£1.29 a month? Yikes, it was free when I last used it :-/

VPN is a virtual private network. It links two networks or devices to pretend it's directly connected to the same network. This allows you to do things that only work over a local network that don't work over the internet. It also encrypts your data so intermediates can't eavesdrop on it.

Remote desktop works fine over the internet, and it's already TLS encrypted anyway making a VPN pointless for the above.
Old 06-01-2014, 20:58   #22
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

You should perhaps look at Teamviewer also.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:07   #23
The Cable Shed
Permanently Banned

The Cable Shed is an unknown quantity at this point

If it helps, I was based in the Middle East for 2 years. Black VPN did the trick me for. Have fun in the desert
The Cable Shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 21:15   #24
mototrbo
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, Freeview HD, Xbox Live
mototrbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
You should perhaps look at Teamviewer also.
Thumbs up! but the free version gives you an hour for non commercial user and no port forwarding is requaird.

Also RealVNC is a great program and been using this for years since windows 98 however the personal now comes with a price.
https://www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/licensing
Free to Download RealVNC Viewer for Android

http://www.tightvnc.com
Free, Same as above but not as good as RealVNC
mototrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:08   #25
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Logmein should be fine for what you want to do. I have it installed on families pc's and then they call up and say something not working, I connect and see what they have done. It's been free all the time I have been using it.

If you don't mind forwarding ports on your router and setting up some software to connect to, then VPN server on the box you want to control and also VNC on it (so you can see/control the screen)is a good option. As well as clients for windows, mac and linux, there is also one for android phones. So you can even control it on the go
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:28   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I've always found the Remote Desktop services built into windows to be faster and more responsive than any third party "solutions".
Old 09-07-2014, 06:35   #27
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Logmein is clearly the most comprehensive remote desktop facility, but for my purposes TeamViewer seems to the right application. My need is very occasional, so does not justifying spending money.

My VPN requirements, when away from home, are limited to needing to appear to be in the UK when I am not. My Asus router VPN facility appears easy to set up.
Old 17-07-2014, 08:38   #28
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

I have resolved my confusion over what I needed VPN for and what I wanted remote desktop access for.

My deep frustration is now with setting up VPN just so that I can appear to be in the UK, i.e. at my home IP address when abroad.

Last year I set up my Asus N66U to do just that. From Spain I was able to use VPN to access BBC iPlayer, the National Lottery and other geographically restricted services. I was also using VPN for security when using public hotspots in the UK. This worked on MS-based laptops and on Android phones. Now since the router firmware upgrade to 3.0.0.4.376.1071 I cannot access the ASUS VPN server. I have followed set up protocol to the letter, the way that worked before. I am not using DNS because my IP is not dynamic.

Have any of you successfully set up VPN using the same firmware? Is it possible to spell out precisely what settings you have used in VPN set up and elsewhere, e.g. WAN and firewall settings?
Old 19-07-2014, 11:44   #29
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

The firmware upgrade maybe blocking a port maybe that was currently open?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote