Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5 thing Team GB can teach england football team

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Chinese up to their tricks?

Old 21-08-2008, 12:25   #1
RizzyKing

Chinese up to their tricks?

Havn't seen anything else about this so thought i would post http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/220527/h...screpancy.html if this turns out to be true it is not very good at all.

Although most shouts seem to be for the girl herself to be punished by removing her medal and stuff i am more worried about any possible involvement of google in this. The thought of penalising the girl doesn't sit right with me as i can't imagine she had a whole lot of choice and given what we know about the chinese and their methods would any of us have raised an objection in her place.

Google on the other hand if it is confirmed they had any involvement will instantly lose me as a user as the hypocrisy from them given their response to when yahoo were in cahoots with the chinese goverment wouild be too much to stomach. So much for the olympic spirit though i guess like many other things these days that is for sale as well if the money is right at the top end of it all.
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2008, 12:41   #2
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Re: Chinese upto their tricks ???

I think it's well known that they have tried to cover this up. They say she's something like 16, but people suspect she is only 14. Google it and you'll probably come up with a lot of hits.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 16:07   #3
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
I think it's well known that they have tried to cover this up. They say she's something like 16, but people suspect she is only 14. Google it and you'll probably come up with a lot of hits.
The article itself says that the girl herself says she's 16.
Female gymnasts in the olympics have always looked 13/14 though, compared the the men who look around 20

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 16:11   #4
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts
Re: Chinese up to their tricks?

how come some sports are 14, others 16... that uk diver is 14. i thought it all should be 16 or even 18yrs as a min age.
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 17:09   #5
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
The article itself says that the girl herself says she's 16.
Female gymnasts in the olympics have always looked 13/14 though, compared the the men who look around 20
Well, I can't believe anyone would lie about their age in order to take part in their home olympics, rather than tell the truth and have to wait 4 years for one halfway round the world....
Old 21-08-2008, 17:18   #6
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
.... i thought it all should be 16 or even 18yrs as a min age.
According to page 9 of this link:

Quote:

There is no
age limit for competing in the Olympic Games...

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_668.pdf
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 17:21   #7
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, I can't believe anyone would lie about their age in order to take part in their home olympics, rather than tell the truth and have to wait 4 years for one halfway round the world....
probably lie because she is good and won........

its a gold for china, makes them look better. have better athletes.

the problem here I think is the complete censorship of the facts..... if they (china/google) have been in cahoots to scrub any previous evidence then somewhere she/they(the officials) have got to account for something.

she has either lied about her age for the Olympics or previous comps, so she is frauding someone.

but seeing that the information is getting scrubbed as the information is being found is showing that someone high up somewhere is not wanting this information to be found..........

to me that is a bit bigger.

but having strict olympic guidlines and sticking/enforcing them seems only fair. like the american guy who got disqualified for stepping on a line once in the 200m (he should have been 2nd i think) they stuck to those rules, why not stick to the age rule?????
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 17:56   #8
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

is this a new rule or is it a rule at all?

as previously said our diver is only 14, and nadia comaneci was only 14 in the 1976 olympics

*edit - having had a quick search it appears that lower age limits were introduced to certain sports after 1976
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 18:11   #9
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
According to page 9 of this link:

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_668.pdf
I maybe picking on sematics, but that makes sense to me. No LIMIT, a 90 year old could compete. There is AFAIK a 16yr old minimum. Proof is by passport of the competitor. For this to have occurred the Chinese Passport Office will have issued here a passport with the wrong birthdate in it, possible but this then means that the passport agency and the olympic agencies are in cahoots on this one.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikthius View Post
but having strict olympic guidlines and sticking/enforcing them seems only fair. like the american guy who got disqualified for stepping on a line once in the 200m (he should have been 2nd i think) they stuck to those rules, why not stick to the age rule?????
But they are. The IOC has seen her passport that shows she was born on 1/1/1992.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 18:23   #10
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Age restrictions are set by the governing body of the sport. For example weightlifting and wrestling are 17, boxing is 17 to, handball is 18 as is equestrian. Fencing is I believe the lowest at 13. Not sure about swimming but I know Phelps was 15 in his first Olympics.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 19:05   #11
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
I maybe picking on sematics, but that makes sense to me. No LIMIT, a 90 year old could compete. There is AFAIK a 16yr old minimum. Proof is by passport of the competitor. For this to have occurred the Chinese Passport Office will have issued here a passport with the wrong birthdate in it, possible but this then means that the passport agency and the olympic agencies are in cahoots on this one.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

But they are. The IOC has seen her passport that shows she was born on 1/1/1992.
Yes, because the Chinese authorities would issue a passport and I'm sure they would have no interest in winning another gold medal simply by using one different digit on a passport!

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikthius View Post
probably lie because she is good and won........

its a gold for china, makes them look better. have better athletes.
Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I was being sarcastic. I know it's the lowest form of wit, but sometimes it's appreciated and amuses..
Old 21-08-2008, 19:12   #12
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

Quote:

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I was being sarcastic. I know it's the lowest form of wit, but sometimes it's appreciated and amuses..
the best form is sarcasm
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 19:41   #13
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
.... There is AFAIK a 16yr old minimum. ....
That can't be right:

Quote:
Youngest Team GB athlete: Tom Daley, Aquatics – Diving, 14 years 82 days
http://www.olympics.org.uk/beijing2008/aboutteamgb.aspx
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 20:05   #14
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

I seem to remember a change in the age rules for gymnasts taking part in major competitions. There was concern at the many young female gymnasts taking part and the rules were changed so that competitors had to be least 16 years old in the year of the competition. So they could be 15, as long as they were 16 by the end of the year.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote